Bulgarian nationality law
|Part of a series on|
It is mainly based on jus sanguinis; however, it is possible to obtain citizenship after 10 years of residence in Bulgaria. Naturalisation is available on the basis of residence in certain types of status; marriage or on the basis of origin or at the discretion of the government of Bulgaria to persons of merit. The Bulgarian Ministry of Justice is in charge of processing citizenship applications.
Every Bulgarian citizen is also a citizen of the European Union.
Acquisition of Bulgarian citizenship
Bulgarian citizenship can be acquired in the following ways:
- Jus sanguinis: By descent if at least one of the parents is a Bulgarian citizen
- Jus soli: By birth in Bulgaria (unless citizenship of another country has been acquired by descent), or a child found in Bulgaria whose parents are unknown
- By naturalisation
Bulgaria allows its citizens to hold foreign citizenship in addition to their Bulgarian citizenship.
Citizenship of the European Union
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- Passages of the Constitution concerning the nationality law
- Unofficial translation of the citizenship law
- Citizenship Law of Bulgaria (October 1968, as lastly amended in 1989)