Bullets in the Gun
|Bullets in the Gun|
|Studio album by Toby Keith|
|Released||October 5, 2010|
|Label||Show Dog-Universal Music|
|Toby Keith chronology|
|Singles from Bullets in the Gun|
Bullets in the Gun is the fourteenth studio album from American country artist Toby Keith. It was released in the United States on October 5, 2010 through Show Dog-Universal Music. The album produced the singles "Trailerhood" (#19), the title track (#12), and "Somewhere Else" (#12), making it the first studio album of Keith's career not to produce a Top Ten hit.
In an interview with Billboard, Keith talked about the recording for Bullets in the Gun, saying ""I'm in a great place right now, I probably wrote 40 or 50 songs in the last year and the songs are getting more and more happy. I did some movies, too, but now I'm just kicking back."
The album debuted at number one on both the US Billboard 200 chart and Top Country albums chart, selling 71,000 copies in its first week of release. It's the smallest debut at number one since Nielsen SoundScan began tracking the chart in May 1991. In its second week of release, the album dropped to number nine on the Billboard 200 selling 30,000 copies. In its third week of release, the album fell to number twenty one on the Billboard 200, selling 17,923 copies. As of the chart dated May 7, 2011, the album has sold 323,880 copies in the US.
|The Boston Globe||(positive)|
|Los Angeles Times|||
|The New York Times||(mixed)|
|The Washington Post||(positive)|
Upon its release, Bullets in the Gun received generally positive reviews from most music critics. At Metacritic, which assigns a normalized rating out of 100 to reviews from mainstream critics, the album received an average score of 76, based on 6 reviews, which indicates "generally favorable reviews".
Bill Friskics-Warren of The Washington Post complimented the tracks on the release, saying "There isn't a weak track on the record, and most of the songs [...] are pretty terrific". Stephen Thomas Erlewine of Allmusic gave the album 4½ out of 5 stars and called it "a lean, tight record", stating "Bullets in the Gun winds up being the Toby Keith album with the lightest touch since 2006’s White Trash with Money." Matt Bjorke with Roughstock commented on the album, saying "Bullets in the Gun is an interesting album and it feels like a joyful mixture of songs about different stages of relationships and life" and called it "Keith’s best album of at least the last five years". Gary Graff with Billboard Magazine gave a favorable review of the album, saying "It's full of shoot-from-the- hip cleverness".
Jessica Phillips with Country Weekly gave it three stars, commented saying that "the album [is packed] with songs meant to heal (or at least dull) a broken heart". Jon Caramanica with The New York Times referred to Bullets in the Gun as "[Keith's] most scattershot album to date; a jumble of attitudes and tactics" and said "[he] is singing without conviction on songs that are mere archetypes and lack any of his signature gestures".
|1.||"Bullets in the Gun"||Toby Keith, Rivers Rutherford||4:16|
|2.||"Somewhere Else"||Keith, Bobby Pinson||3:06|
|4.||"In a Couple of Days"||Keith, Pinson||3:46|
|5.||"Think About You All of the Time"||Keith||3:44|
|6.||"Kissin' in the Rain"||Keith, Pinson||3:55|
|7.||"Drive it on Home"||Keith, Pinson||3:22|
|8.||"Ain't Breakin' Nothin'"||Keith, Pinson||3:58|
|9.||"Is That All You Got"||Keith, Scotty Emerick, Dean Dillon||3:35|
|10.||"Get Out of My Car"||Keith, Pinson||3:30|
|11.||"11 Months And 29 Days (live)"||Johnny Paycheck||4:44|
|12.||"Waymore's Blues (live)"||Waylon Jennings, Curtis Buck||6:08|
|13.||"Chug-a-Lug (live)"||Roger Miller||2:59|
|14.||"Sundown (live)"||Gordon Lightfoot||4:34|
|Canadian Albums Chart||23|
|US Billboard 200||1|
|US Billboard Top Country Albums||1|
|US Billboard 200||199|
|US Billboard Top Country Albums||41|
|"Bullets in the Gun"||12||83|
Hemingway's Whiskey by Kenny Chesney
|Top Country Albums number-one album
October 23, 2010
Charleston, SC 1966 by Darius Rucker
|Billboard 200 number-one album
October 23, 2010
I Am Not a Human Being by Lil Wayne
- "CMT : News : Toby Keith Releasing New Album, Bullets in the Gun, on Oct. 5". CMT. 2010-07-22. Retrieved 2010-10-01.
- "Toby Keith Kicks Back with 'Bullets in the Gun' | Billboard.com". Billboard. 2010-09-24. Retrieved 2010-10-01.
- Caulfield, Keith (2010-10-13). "Toby Keith's 'Gun' Fires at No. 1 on Billboard 200 | Billboard.com". Billboard. Retrieved 2010-10-13.
- Caulfield, Keith (2010-10-20). "Lil Wayne's 'Human Being' Leaps 16-1 on Billboard 200 | Billboard.com". Billboard. Retrieved 2010-10-20.
- Bjorke, Matt (2010-10-27). "The Incredible Machine Tops The Albums Sales Charts This Week | New Country Music, Listen to Songs & Video | Roughstock.com". Roughstock. Retrieved 2010-10-30.
- "Album Sales Strong Thanks To Easter Week | Roughstock.com". Roughstock. 2011-04-27. Retrieved 2011-04-30.
- "Bullets in the Gun Reviews, Ratings, Credits, and More at Metacritic". Metacritic. Retrieved 2010-10-06.
- Erlewine, Stephen Thomas. "Bullets in the Gun - Toby Keith". Allmusic. Retrieved 2010-10-06.
- Graff, Gary (2010-10-08), Toby Keith, "Bullets In The Gun", Billboard, retrieved 2010-11-09
- McLennan, Whitney (2010-10-04). "Toby Keith, 'Bullets in the Gun' - The Boston Globe". The Boston Globe. Retrieved 2010-10-06.
- Phillips, Jessica (2010-09-24). "Bullets in the Gun : Toby Keith - Reviews - Country Weekly Magazine". Country Weekly. Retrieved 2010-10-01.
- Pastorek, Whitney (2010-09-29). "Bullets in the Gun Review". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved 2010-10-01.
- Lewis, Randy (2010-10-05). "Album review: Toby Keith's 'Bullets in the Gun'". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2010-10-06.
- Caramanica, Jon (2010-10-03). "Critics’ Choice - New CDs from Toby Keith, Marnie Stern and King Sunny Adé - Review - NYTimes.com". The New York Times. Retrieved 2010-10-06.
- Bjorke, Matt. "Toby Keith - Bullets in the Gun". Roughstock.com. Retrieved 2010-10-06.
- Friskics-Warren, Bill (2010-0910-05). "There isn't a weak track on Toby Keith's 'Bullets in the Gun'". The Washington Post. Retrieved 2010-10-06. Check date values in:
- "Chart listing for Bullets in the Gun". Billboard. Retrieved 14 October 2010.
- "Best of 2010 - Billboard Top 200". Billboard. Nielsen Business Media, Inc. Retrieved 2010-12-31.
- "Best of 2010 - Top Country Albums". Billboard. Nielsen Business Media, Inc. Retrieved 2010-12-31.
- Trailerhood - Toby Keith | Billboard.com, Billboard, retrieved 2011-01-02
- Bullets in the Gun - Toby Keith | Billboard.com, Billboard, retrieved 2011-01-02
- Somewhere Else - Toby Keith | Billboard.com, Billboard, retrieved 2011-05-25