Bulyea Heights, Edmonton

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Bulyea Heights
Neighbourhood
Bulyea Heights is located in Edmonton
Bulyea Heights
Bulyea Heights
Location of Bulyea Heights in Edmonton
Coordinates: 53°28′30″N 113°34′01″W / 53.475°N 113.567°W / 53.475; -113.567
Country  Canada
Province  Alberta
City Edmonton
Quadrant[1] NW
Ward[1] 9
Sector[2] Southwest
Area[3][4] Riverbend
Government[5]
 • Administrative body Edmonton City Council
 • Councillor Bryan Anderson
Area[6]
 • Total 1.51 km2 (0.58 sq mi)
Elevation 671 m (2,201 ft)
Population (2012)[7]
 • Total 3,591
 • Density 2,378.1/km2 (6,159/sq mi)
 • Change (2009–12) Decrease-2.6%
 • Dwellings 1,207

Bulyea Heights is a residential neighbourhood in the Riverbend area of south west Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. The neighbourhood overlooks Whitemud Creek Ravine. The neighbourhood is named for George H. V. Bulyea, first Lieutenant-Governor of the Province of Alberta.

The neighbourhood is bounded on the west by Terwillegar Drive, on the south by Rabbit Hill Road, on the north by Whitemud Drive, and on the east by the Whitemud Creek Ravine.

Demographics[edit]

In the City of Edmonton's 2012 municipal census, Bulyea Heights had a population of 3,591 living in 1,207 dwellings,[7] a -2.6% change from its 2009 population of 3,688.[8] With a land area of 1.51 km2 (0.58 sq mi),[6] it had a population density of 2,378.1 people/km2 in 2012.[6][7]

Residential development[edit]

Bulyea Heights is a newer neighbourhood with residential development beginning in the late 1980s. According to the 2001 federal census, just under half (45.8%) of all residences were constructed between 1986 and 1990. The other half (53.2%) were constructed during the 1990s.[9]

The most common type of residence, according to the 2005 municipal census, is the single-family dwelling. These account for nine out of every ten (89%) residences in the neighbourhood. The other one residence in ten (11%) are duplexes.[10] Substantially all (98%) of all residences are owner-occupied.[11]

Schools[edit]

There is a single school in the neighbourhood, George H. Luck School, operated by the Edmonton Public School System.

Surrounding neighbourhoods[edit]

On the other side of the Whitemud Creek Ravine, to the east, are the neighbourhoods of Aspen Gardens, Lansdowne, and Westbrook Estates.

References[edit]

  1. ^ a b "City of Edmonton Wards & Standard Neighbourhoods". City of Edmonton. Retrieved February 13, 2013. 
  2. ^ "Edmonton Developing and Planned Neighbourhoods, 2011". City of Edmonton. Retrieved February 13, 2013. 
  3. ^ "The Way We Grow: Municipal Development Plan Bylaw 15100". City of Edmonton. 2010-05-26. Retrieved February 13, 2013. 
  4. ^ "City of Edmonton Plans in Effect". City of Edmonton. November 2011. Retrieved February 13, 2013. 
  5. ^ "City Councillors". City of Edmonton. Retrieved February 13, 2013. 
  6. ^ a b c "Neighbourhoods (data plus kml file)". City of Edmonton. Retrieved February 13, 2013. 
  7. ^ a b c "Municipal Census Results – Edmonton 2012 Census". City of Edmonton. Retrieved February 22, 2013. 
  8. ^ "2009 Municipal Census Results". City of Edmonton. Retrieved February 22, 2013. 
  9. ^ http://censusdocs.edmonton.ca/DD23/FEDERAL%202001/Neighbourhood/BULYEA%20HEIGHTS.pdf
  10. ^ Duplexes include triplexes and fourplexes.
  11. ^ http://censusdocs.edmonton.ca/C05002/MUNICIPAL%202005/Neighbourhood/BULYEA%20HEIGHTS.pdf

External links[edit]