|Elevation||6,300 ft (1,920 m)|
Bunagana is a town in Western Uganda.
The town is located in extreme southwestern Uganda, in Kisoro District, at the International border between Uganda and the Democratic Republic of the Congo. Bunagana lies approximately 54 kilometres (34 mi), by road, west of Kabale, the largest city in the sub-region. This location lies approximately 14 kilometres (8.7 mi), by road, west of Kisoro, the location of the district headquarters. The coordinates of the town are:1° 18' 0.00"S, 29° 36' 0.00"E (Latitude:-1.3000; Longitude:29.6000).
The town of Bunagana is a border town between Uganda and the Democratic Republic of the Congo. At an altitude of 1,920 metres (6,300 ft), above sea level, Bunagana is a major crossing point, for both human and commercial traffic. On the Congolese side, a road leads to Goma, a city of approximately 400,000 people, and the capital of North Kivu Province in DRC. On the Ugandan side, Kabale, with a population estimated at about 50,000 and the capital of Kigezi sub-region, lies to the east of Bunagana and is connected to it by an all-weather bitumen-surfaced road.
As of April 2012, the exact population of Bunagana, Uganda is not known.
Points of interest
The following points of interest lie within the town limits or close to the edges of the town:
- The offices of Bunagana Town Council
- Bunagana Central Market
- The International border between Uganda and the Democratic Republic of the Congo
- Bwindi National Park in Uganda lies to the northeast of Bunagana, while Virunga National Park in DRC lies to the southwest of the town.
- The town of Bunagana, DRC lies to the immediate west of Bunagana, Uganda, across the International border with DRC.
- Bunagana Is Located 378 kilometres (235 mi), By Road, Southwest of Kampala, Uganda's Capital
- Location of Bunagana, Uganda At Google Maps
- Uganda Receives Refugee Influx From Fighting In Neighboring DRC