Bundelkhand Institute of Engineering & Technology
|Bundelkhand Institute of Engineering and Technology Jhansi|
|Motto||Aano bhadra kritvo yantu vishwatah
|Motto in English||Let noble thoughts flow into my mind from all directions|
|Type||Government-aided autonomous institute|
|Chairman||Prof N.S. Gajbhiye|
|Director||Prof M.K. Gupta|
|Location||Jhansi, Uttar Pradesh, India|
|Campus||240 acres (0.97 km2)|
Bundelkhand Institute of Engineering and Technology, Jhansi (Hindi: बुन्देलखण्ड अभियान्त्रिकी एवं प्रौद्योगिकी संस्थान ) (commonly known as BIET Jhansi), is a government-funded autonomous engineering college in Jhansi, Uttar Pradesh, India. It is a constituent college of Gautam Buddha Technical University (erstwhile Uttar Pradesh Technical University). It is recognised by the All India Council for Technical Education. AICTE.
It was established in 1986 by the government of Uttar Pradesh to provide impetus to technical education in the state and was the fifth government engineering college in the state. The first batch of the college was admitted in 1989 and graduated in 1993.
The highest executive body of the institute is the Board of Governors (BOG). Prof M.K. Gupta is presently officiating the charge of Director.
- 1 Management and administration
- 2 History & Foundation
- 3 Admissions
- 4 Ranking
- 5 Courses
- 6 Accreditation
- 7 Affiliation
- 8 Location
- 9 Infrastructure
- 9.1 Campus
- 9.2 Faculty
- 9.3 Central Library
- 9.4 IBM Centre of Excellence
- 9.5 Knowledge infrastructure
- 9.5.1 Department of Computer Science and Engineering
- 9.5.2 Department of Information Technology
- 9.5.3 Department of Chemical Engineering
- 9.5.4 Department of Electronics and Communication Engineering
- 9.5.5 Department of Civil Engineering
- 9.5.6 Department of Mechanical Engineering
- 9.5.7 Department of Electrical Engineering
- 10 Placement record
- 11 Societies
- 12 Events
- 13 Bencolites
- 14 Notable alumni
- 15 References
- 16 External links
Management and administration
BIET Jhansi is funded by the government of Uttar Pradesh. However, many of the new projects are also being supported by the World Bank under the Technical Education Quality Improvement Project (TEQIP).
Bundelkhand Institute of Engineering and Technology is a registered society under The Society Registration Act 1860, at Jhansi. The Board of Governors is the governing body of the society. The Board includes:
- Sri Neeraj Gupta, IAS, Secretary, Technical Education' Government of Uttar Pradesh as Vice Chairman
- Prof Sanjay Dhande, Director, Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur as Member
- Prof Pradipta Banerji, Director, Indian Institute of Technology, Roorkee as Member
- Prof. R K Khandal, Vice-Chancellor, Uttar Pradesh Technical University as Member
- Nominee of the All India Council of Technical Education as Member
History & Foundation
The foundation stone of the institute was laid in May, 1986 by the then Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh, Vir Bahadur Singh. The first director of the institute was Prof. Ram Singh Nirjar, who went on to become the Chairman of All India Council of Technical Education AICTE. He assumed office as the first director of the institute (then known as "Bundelkhand Engineering College") in 1988.
The institute started with two branches - Computer Science and Engineering, and Electronics and Instrumentation Engineering, with an intake of 30 students in each. Now the institute has seven undergraduate. courses and five postgraduate courses with annual intake around 475 in each year.
The campus added two additional branches - Mechanical Engineering and Civil Engineering - with an intake of 20 students each in 1990. In 1996, Chemical Engineering with an intake of 30 students was started and in 2000 Information Technology with intake of 40 students was added. In the same year, the intake of Mechanical Engineering, and Computer Science and Engineering, were raised to 45 and 60 students respectively, and Electronics and Instrumentation Engineering was rechristened as Electronics and Communication Engineering and intake was raised to 60. In 2006, the intake of Civil Engineering was increased to 45. From 2007 a four-year B. Tech programme in Electrical Engineering with an intake of 60 students was added to the existing B. Tech programmes.
In 2005 two postgraduate programmes in Environmental Engineering and Construction Technology and Management (in the Civil Engineering Department) and one in Manufacturing Science and Technology (in the Mechanical Engineering Department) with intake of 18 students each, was started. In 2006 an M. Tech. programme in Digital Communication System (in the Electronics and Communication Engineering Department) with an intake of 20 students was added to the list of postgraduate programmes. In 2007, a two-year management programme leading to an M.B.A. degree with an intake of 60 students, was started. The total intake of students in the institute, including M. Tech. programmes, is 474.
The institute admits students for its Bachelor in Technology (B.Tech) programme from all over India through the competitive Common Entrance Test SEE-UPTU.
For the academic session 2012-13 the institute was ranked 5th (next to Harcourt Butler Technological Institute, Kanpur and Institute of Engineering and Technology, Lucknow) in terms of university results declared by UPTU among all the state level engineering institutes affiliated to the university.
The institute offers its B.Tech. (Bachelor of Technology) programme in the following disciplines:
- Chemical Engineering (CH)
- Civil Engineering (CE)
- Computer Science and Engineering (CS)
- Electronics and Communication Engineering (ECE)
- Information Technology (IT) (Under Self finance scheme)
- Mechanical Engineering (ME)
- Electrical Engineering (EE)( Under Self finance scheme)
The institute offers M.Tech (Master of Technology) in following specializations:
- Environmental Management
- Construction Technology Management
- Manufacturing Science and Technology
- Digital Communication System
Apart from the technical courses, the institute offers Masters in Business Administration (Under self finance scheme) in Finance, Marketing and Human Resource management.
The institute is a nodal centre for Indira Gandhi National Open University (Study Center Code: 2766(P)) and runs its courses.
The B.Tech degrees in Civil, Electronics and Communication, Mechanical, Computer Science and Chemical branches of the institute have been accredited by the NBA (National Board of Accreditation). The CS and ME branches have been re-accredited for a period of three years, starting 2004, whereas the CE branch has been accredited for a period of five years.
The institute is affiliated to the Gautam Buddh Technical University, Lucknow for the award of its B.Tech, M.Tech and MBA degrees.
BIET is located in the historical city of Jhansi in the Bundelkhand region of the state of Uttar Pradesh in north India. The institute's campus is located around 12 kilometers from the Jhansi Central Railway Station, on the Jhansi-Kanpur National Highway (NH 25).
The institute has excellent physical infrastructure with lush green campus sprawling over 240 acres (0.97 km2).Total built-up area of the institute building is 28700 m². The inside of the campus resembles a city, with gardens, lawns, residential complexes and wide roads. The campus has its own water supply and backup electricity supply along with shopping centers to cater to the daily needs of residents.
The campus is divided into four zones:
- Student Residential Zone
- Faculty and Staff Residential Zone
- Student Recreational Area, that includes the Student Activity Center (SAC), cricket ground, basketball courts, hockey field
- Academic Zone that includes department offices, lecture halls, central library and workshops.
The Central Library spreads over 1100 m². The Administrative block houses the Director's Office and the Central Library. Each department has its own separate block which houses the lecture halls and respective labs.
The student residential zone is divided into two main sectors—one for men's hostels and another for women's hostels. There are 6 hostels (four for boys and two for girls). The hostels are named after the books/ compositions of the Hindi poet Maithili Sharan Gupt.
- Vrindavan (For 1st Year students)
- Saket (For 2nd Year students)
- Panchwati (For 3rd Year students)
- Jai Bharat (For Final Year/ MBA/ M.Tech students)
- Yashodhara (For Girls)
- Kalpana (For Girls)
Faculty list(incomplete) The Teacher Student Ratio stands at 1:20. Faculty with post graduate qualification stands at 100% whereas the percentage of faculty with PhD is 68%.
The institute employs senior technical personnel as guest faculty following the trend of industry-academia collaboration. The institute encourages industrial trips to, and closer co-operation with, government and private industry.
The Central Library has a collection of 33,500 books including 8,300 books by the World bank. It has 86 journals and 580 back volumes of IEEE, ASWE, ASCE, ACM, ACI, etc. International journals and technical papers are accessible to students through the Indian National Digital Library in Engineering INDEST-AICTE consortium. INDEST
IBM Centre of Excellence
IBM identified BIET Jhansi as an IBM Centre of Excellence, starting academic session 2010-11. Through the IBM Academic Initiative, IBM is working with BIET Jhansi to teach students the open-standards skills to compete in the ever-changing technology workplace by conducting training for students through faculty enabled by IBM. http://www-07.ibm.com/in/projectpraviin/coe_up.html
Department of Computer Science and Engineering
The Department of Computer Science and Engineering was established in 1989. The department is a member of the Computer Society of India (CSI). The department has a Software Development Lab, Information System Lab, Computer Graphics Lab, UNIX and LINUX Lab, and a Database Management Lab.The unique feature of college is SUN Java Lab, which is not available in any other college of UPTU. The department gives internet service to students through ISDN line provided by BSNL. These computers are connected to each other through LAN and these are supported by a SUN server with EM 64T (extended Memory 64 bit Technology Intel Xeon processor) with 800 or higher MHz front side bus and hyper threading support.
The systems are equipped with operating systems such as LINUX, UNIX, Solaris, Windows NT, Windows XP and software packages that include Java, Oracle 10i, Developer 2000, C++/C, Visual Basic, ASP, SQL Server etc. and open source software packages.
Department of Information Technology
The Department of Information Technology was established in 2000. It hosts Digital and Computer Graphics Lab which consist of 15 Logic Trainer Boards, performing logical testing facilities. The Department is equipped with 64 bit RISC Based IDNY (R400) silicon graphic server. The Department has Image Processing tools, Meta Labs, and other graphic facilities.
Department of Chemical Engineering
The Department of Chemical Engineering was established in 1996. The department has organized training programs under World Bank Assisted, Technical Education Quality Improvement Program (TEQIP).
The department has Chemical Engineering lab, Fluid Mechanics Lab, Fluid and Particle Operations Lab, Heat Transfer Lab, Chemical Reaction Engineering Lab, Process Dynamics and Instrumentation Lab, Chemical Technology Lab, Energy Lab and Mass Transfer Lab. The department has a CAD lab with Chemical Engineering software like ASPEN, ORIGIN,and PROSIMULATOR.
Department of Electronics and Communication Engineering
The Department of Electronics and Communication Engineering was established in 1989. The department has a Microprocessor Lab. The Digital Electronics Lab is used for study of encoders and decoders, multiplexers and demultiplexers, flip -flops, counters and shift registers, and parity generators and checkers. A brief idea of digital I.C. is also provided.
A Fiber Optics Communication Lab is established in the department, provides education on fiber optics communication, analog and digital link, attenuation: banding, and impurities. Other labs include Printed Circuit Board Lab and Electrical Machine Lab.
The Department contributes to IEEE by doing research.
Department of Civil Engineering
The Department of Civil Engineering was established in 1999. The department is engaged by the Ministry of Urban Development, Government of India, Rural Engineering Services and U.P. Jal Nigam to train field and sector professionals for government departments. The department does research projects sponsored by AICTE/DST/UP-CST.
The department has Transportation Lab, Fluid Hydraulics Lab, Soil Mechanics Lab, Environmental Engineering Lab and Surveying Lab,Auto-Cad lab,Concrete lab,Engineering drawing laborato
Department of Mechanical Engineering
The Department of Mechanical Engineering was established in 1990. The department has a CAD Lab equipped with Pentium IV 2.8 GHz, plotters etc. and software packages such as Pro-e (Wild Fire), Catia, Autocad 2000. The department has a Refrigeration and Air-Conditioning Lab, Fluid Machinery Lab, Machine Lab, Heat Transfer Lab, Automobile Lab and Materials testing lab.
Department of Electrical Engineering
The department of electrical engineering was established in 2007.The department has a Microprocessor Lab. The Digital Electronics Lab is used for study of encoders and decoders, multiplexers and demultiplexers, flip -flops, counters and shift registers, and parity generators and checkers. A brief idea of digital I.C. is also provided.
The institute has an excellent placement record. The entire class of 2012 were placed in multinational and national companies. Some of the past recruiters at BIET include Adobe Systems(India), Aricent Technologies, Computer Sciences Corporation (CSC India), Infosys Technologies, Accenture(India), Sasken, Reliance Industries Ltd, Samsung Electronics, Tata Consultancy Services, HCL Technologies, Pepsi, Wipro, Tech Mahindra, Mahindra Satyam, GlobalLogic, SAIL,BAJAJ POWER, UPRVUNL, EGIS India Consulting Engineers,Vizag steel, Hindustan Unilever, Jaypeee Group, Larsen & Toubro, Jindal Group, Syntellent, Era Constructions, DSCL, Soma Enterprises among others.
The students of the new MBA programme underwent an intensive two months summer training at ITC, Coke, Reliance, Godrej, Blue Star, LML, HAL, BAJAJ, BHEL, Hindalco, IFFCO, HDFC, ICICI,NTPC, among others.
Student Branch Councils
- FCE ( Forum of Chemical Engineering)
- CEF (Civil Engineering Forum)
- COSSCO (Computer Science Students Council)
- FEEE (Forum of Electrical & Electronics Engineers)
- SCOIT (Student Council of Information Technology)
- MEF (Mechanical Engineers Forum)
- CSC (Cultural Sub Council)
- FAH (Fine Arts and Hobbies Sub Council)
- LSC (Literary Sub Council)LSC
Annual Cultural Fest - 'Utsav'
Utsav provides opportunity to the budding talent in the institute to showcase their talent to a larger audience.
Annual Technical Fest - 'TeChZioN'
TeChZioN is the annual technical fest which allows students to showcase their technical abilities beyond the ambit of academics. Many colleges of repute are invited to take part in TeChZioN.TeChZioN'13 Technical symposiums and guest speakers from many areas of technical research and development mark this event.
Open air theatre and movie-screening add spice to an otherwise completely technical event.
Annual Sports Fest - 'PACE'
PACE is the annual sports fest which promotes a spirit of friendly competition among the branches of the college. The overall winner branch parades through the institute campus.
Annual Alumni Meet - 'Kutumb'
The institute organizes Kutumb every year to celebrate the success and growth of its alumni and to share their experience with present students.
The institute was formerly known as Bundelkhand Engineering College. BENCOL is an acronym for Bundelkhand ENgineering COLlege. Hence the term Bencolites refers to the students (current and graduated) of the institute. Though BENCOL was formally changed to BIET (in around 1994-1995), the term Bencolites is still used by alumni.
- Manish kumar, Director of Sales at iGATE Patni
- Nitin Jain, Director (Business Development), Larsen & Toubro Infotech
- Himanshu Goyal, Country Manager - Developer Works and Globalization at IBM India
- Mohit Verma, Vice President (Corporate Banking) at Barclays
- Shuktij Singh, COO, ZTE Telecom (India)
- Manish Bhan, Founder & CEO, Illumenta Corp.
- Anurag Gaur, Founder & CEO, Esquvi Technologies
- Prashant Parashar, Founder & CEO, Touchsy 
- Rahul Lakhmani (M.Tech, IIT Bombay), Founder and CEO at Skiify 
- Navneet Kumar Singh, Founder & CEO, Aeesoft.com  and CouponDekho.com
- Neha Singh, Founder, ShutterMonks.com
- Deepak Mittal, Member of the Board of Directors, Innovative Scheduling Inc
- Deepesh Bhandari, Vice President (Operations Technology) at Nomura Holdings, Inc. (erstwhile Lehman Brothers)
- Gunjan Agarwal, Director at Amdocs
- Anurag Gaur, Director at Mahathi Software
- Alok Kaushal, CEO at Deepija Telenetworks 
- Shyam Gupta, CEO at S-Tech Realtors Pvt
- Indrajeet Singh, VP at IndusInd Bank
- Rajesh Mago, Open Source Technology evangelist
- Aniruddha Kumar, Head - Contracts at Era Infra Engineering
- Amit Khanna, AVP (Marketing Analytics) Genpact
- Sachin Gupta, Director (Technical Services), SPX Corporation.
- Karan Singh, Founder & CEO, Brainzen Web Solutions Pvt. Ltd. (Brainsln.com) 
- Nihal Ahmad, Founder & CEO, IQRA Software Technologies Pvt. Ltd. (iqrasoftwares.com) 
- "Microsoft Word - TEQIP 10th JRM and ICR Mission AM Final.doc" (PDF). Retrieved 2011-05-03.
- "Ranking of Colleges Based on Cumulative Performance on Average Gross Marks (Theory Papers Only)" (PDF). Retrieved 2011-05-03.
- "IBM - Software Centre of Excellence - Uttar Pradesh - India". 07.ibm.com. Retrieved 2012-08-11.
- "past recruiters at BIET".[dead link]
- "Council 2011-2012, Silicon Ship, hostel 14, IIT Bombay". IIT Bombay, Gymkhana. Retrieved 2012-08-10.
- "CSRE, IIT Bombay, Alumni". IIT Bombay, CSRE. Retrieved 2012-08-10.
- "Skiify Solutions Pvt. Ltd., An IIT Bombay Alumni Initiative". Skiify Solutions. Retrieved 2012-08-10.
- "Best E-commerce money saving website". The Times of India. Retrieved 2013-02-02.
- "Growing with AP". Andhra Business. Retrieved 2012-08-11.
- Official website
- Literary Sub Council
- Gautam Buddh Technical University
- Connecting IIT Kanpur with BIET Jhansi
- Bifurcation of UPTU results into more scramble for Government Engineering Colleges
- BIET mentors and hosts new upcoming Government Engineering Colleges in U.P
- E-learning project at BIET Jhansi launched by IIT Kanpur
- BIET Jhansi to give vocational training
- New indoor stadium coming up at BIET Jhansi
- Students create website for info on top UP engineering colleges