Bureau of National Affairs
|Type||Wholly owned subsidiary|
|Industry||Legal & business news|
|Headquarters||Arlington, Virginia, US|
Bloomberg BNA, formerly known as The Bureau of National Affairs, Inc. and BNA, is a wholly owned subsidiary of Bloomberg L.P. that publishes specialized online and print news and information for professionals in business, law and government. It is headquartered in Arlington, Virginia.
BNA was founded in 1929 by newsman David Lawrence as a subsidiary of United States Daily, now known as the US News & World Report. BNA's first publication was U.S. Patent, Trademark & Copyright Reports (now United States Patent Quarterly). In 1946, Lawrence sold BNA to five of his top editors: Dean Dinwoodey, John D. Stewart, Ed Donnell, Adolph Magidson and John Tyler. The editors opened up ownership to the rest of their BNA colleagues and from 1947 until 2011, the company was owned entirely by current and former employees.
On August 25, 2011, Bloomberg L.P announced it would be purchasing BNA for an estimated $990 million. The transaction closed in late September 2011 at which time Bloomberg paid $39.50 a share in cash through a tender offer to BNA's employee-owners. Bloomberg purchased BNA to bolster its existing Bloomberg Government, Bloomberg Law and Bloomberg News services.
1926 - David Lawrence (publisher) launches United States Daily.
1929 - U.S. Patent, Trademark & Copyright Reports; BNA’s first publication launched March 4 (today called United States Patents Quarterly).
1933 - United States Daily folds in the aftermath of President Franklin Roosevelt’s "bank holiday;" converts into a weekly. The United States News - Law Journal launched (later changed to U.S. Law Week).
1941 - Daily Report on Price and Production Controls begins in April; it is the only privately produced publication to receive an unlimited allocation of paper during World War II.
2007 - BNA moves to Arlington, Virginia.
2011 - Bloomberg L.P. announces intent to purchase BNA for an estimated $990 million.
BNA produces more than 350 news publications in a broad array of topics. BNA's research and data division offers custom research, data and document retrieval services. Information compiled by BNA's reporters and analysts is available to Bloomberg Government and Bloomberg Law subscribers.
BNA was named one of the "100 Best Companies to Work For" by Fortune in 1990, 1998 and 2000. In 1990, BNA was selected by Working Mother magazine as one of the "100 Best Companies for Working Mothers,” an award it would also receive the next eight years. In 1999, BNA was listed by The Washingtonian magazine as one of the "Best Companies to Work for in Washington”. BNA was given the Business Ethics Award for Employee Ownership by Corporate Responsibility magazine in 2000.
- Daily Tax Report
- United States Patents Quarterly
- United States Law Week
- Proceedings of the National Academy of Arbitrators
- Tax Management Portfolios
- Payroll Decision Support Network
- Human Resources Library
- BNA Books
- BNA CITE
- BNA International, Inc. (BNAI)
- BNA Plus
- BNA Software
- BNA Tax & Accounting
- Institute of Management and Administration (IOMA)
- Kennedy Information, Inc.
- Pike & Fischer
- The McArdle Printing Company, Inc.
- STF Services Corporation (STF)
- Thomson, Amy (25 August 2011). "Bloomberg Agrees to Buy Bureau of National Affairs for About $990 Million". Bloomberg. Retrieved 23 April 2013.
- "Milestone 1920s-1930s". Bloomberg BNA. Retrieved 12 December 2011.
- "BNA Announces Corporate Restructuring, New Officers". Bloomberg BNA. 28 April 2009. Retrieved 23 April 2013.
- Roose, Kevin (25 August 2011). "Bloomberg L.P. To Buy BNA for $990 Million". The New York Times. Retrieved 12 December 2011.
- "Magazine Founder Dies". Lewiston Morning Tribune. 12 February 1973. Retrieved 12 December 2011.
- "Milestones 1940s-1950s". Bloomberg BNA. Retrieved 23 April 2013.
- Douglas, Danielle (25 August 2011). "Bloomberg snags BNA for $990M". The Washington Post. Retrieved 12 December 2011.
- Summers, Nick (21 November 2011). "Bloomberg's Plan for World Domination". Newsweek. Retrieved 12 December 2011.
- Levering, Robert; Milton Moskowitz; Maura Griffin Solovar (12 January 1998). "The 100 Best Companies To Work For In America". CNN Money. Retrieved 5 January 2012.
- Levering, Robert; Milton Moskowitz; Feliciano Garcia; Karen Vella-Zarb (10 January 2000). "The 100 Best Companies To Work For". CNN Money. Retrieved 5 January 2012.
- "Milestones 1980s-1990s". Bloomberg BNA. Retrieved 9 January 2012.
- "Business Ethics Annual Award Winners: 1989-2006". Corporate Responsibility Magazine. Retrieved 12 December 2011.
- Bureau of National Affairs
- Tax Management Inc.
- BNA Software
- BNA International
- Kennedy Information
- McArdle Printing Company, Inc.
- Pike & Fischer, Inc.
- STF Services Corporation
- Washington G-2 Reports