Burgard Vocational High School
|Burgard Vocational High School|
Humanity, Integrity, Scholarship
|400 Kensington Avenue
Buffalo, New York, Erie, 14214
|School district||Buffalo Public Schools|
|NCES District ID||3605850|
|Superintendent||Pamela C. Brown|
|School number||301 ps|
|NCES School ID||360585000301|
|Principal||Brian M. Wiesinger|
|Assistant principals||Andre T. Thomas
Lorenda M. Williams
|Student to teacher ratio||11.11|
|Hours in school day||7|
|Campus size||5 acres (20,000 m2)|
|Color(s)||Blue and White|
|Athletics||football, baseball, basketball, volleyball, softball, cross country, track|
|Mascot||Shmerea Nailor (2012-2013)|
|Website||Burgard High School|
Burgard Vocational High School is a vocational high school located in Buffalo, New York, USA. It holds about 800 students from Grades 9 - 12 and teaches according to the Board of Regents. The current Principal is Mr. Brian Wiesinger, and the current Assistant Principals are Mr. Andre Thomas and Mrs. Lorenda Williams.
Burgard offers Regents level courses as required by New York State. Burgard's curriculum includes a career and technical component in classes such as Automotive Repair Technology, Virtual Enterprise, Welding, Computer-aided design (CAD) & CAM Robotics, and Building Management.
|Period Number/Activity||Beginning Bell||End Bell|
- * For students with 1st Lunch
- & For students with 2nd Lunch
- ^ For students with 3rd Lunch
2010 controversy 
In 2010, Burgard was placed on New York State's list of consistently low-achieving high schools in the state. The school's current graduation rate is 44%, below state standards, and saw a drop in on test scores on Regents exams in all subject areas except Earth science New state requirements state that schools on the list that do not show improvement must either convert to a charter school, replace the building principal and at least 50% of its staff, create incentive pay for high-performing staff and implement staff development for teachers that do not, or close entirely. Superintendent James Williams initially announced that he would keep Principal Florence Schimert-Krieter in place at Burgard despite the fact that doing so would cost the school and district federal funds, approximately two million dollars per year for three years. Following a visit by the state education department, Williams announced that he would remove Krieter as well as the principals at two other Buffalo high schools, with the changes taking effect October 15, 2010. Around that time, it was announced that Burgard had failed to meet the requirements for those grants, and would not receive that funding.
The school was founded in 1910 as a combined printing class between Public School #5 and Public School #44 on Elm Street in Buffalo. In 1914, it became known as the Elm Technical School. A $1,000,000 construction project was begun to construct a new facility for the school, with the land being donated by Henry P. Burgard.
In 2009, a renovation was completed on the school that expanded the main office and created new science and computer labs, technology shops, and renovation to the automobile shops. Locker rooms were also expanded. While the school was being reconstructed, freshmen were housed at P.S. 171 on East Delavan Avenue.
Former principals 
Previous assignment and reason for departure denoted in parentheses
- Mr. William B. Kamprath–1931-1953 (Principal - Elm Vocational School, retired)
- Mr. Joseph F. Crotty–1953-1970 (Vice Principal - Burgard Vocational High School, passed away)
- Mr. J. Patrick Curry–1970-1984 (Vice Principal - Seneca Vocational High School, retired)
- Mr. James F. Harmon–1984-1986 (Principal - McKinley Vocational High School, retired)
- Mr. John J. Mattimore–1986-1988 (Principal - South Park High School, retired)
- Mr. Rocco A. Lamparelli–1988-1990 (Supervising Principal - Buffalo Public Schools' Secondary Schools, retired)
- Mr. Thomas P. Kopera–1990-2002 (Assistant Principal - Lafayette High School, retired)
- Mr. James J. Pautler–2002-2006 (Assistant Principal - Kensington High School, assigned to Buffalo Public Schools' Office of Shared Accountability)
- Mr. Carlos J. Villarroel [interim]–2006-2007 (Vice Principal - Burgard High School, named Assistant Principal of Frank A. Sedita Academy)
- Mrs. Florence S. Krieter–2007-2010 (Interim Assistant Principal - Burgard High School, assigned to Buffalo Schools' Department of School Turnarounds)
- Ms. Genelle E. Morris-Adams–2010 [interim] (Director of Data Analysis - Buffalo Public Schools, returned to District Office)
Selected former assistant principals 
Previous assignment and reason for departure denoted in parentheses
- Mr. Laverne H. Engel–1932-1937 (English teacher - Seneca Vocational High School, named Head of Related Subjects for Buffalo Public Schools)
- Mr. Joseph M. Crotty–1948-1953 (unknown, named Principal of Burgard Vocational High School)
- Dr. William Sharp–?-1962 (Vocational Counselor - Allderdice High School, retired)
- Mr. Joseph T. Schmidle–1962-1964 (Teacher - Emerson Vocational High School, named Director of Manpower Development for Buffalo Public Schools Board of Education)
- Mr. Archie Rouselle–1964-1972 (Carpentry teacher - McKinley Vocational High School, named Assistant Principal of Emerson Vocational High School)
- Mr. Thomas F. Cosgrove [interim]–1969-1970 (Math teacher - Burgard High School, returned to teaching)
- Mr. Salvatore J. Sedita–1972-? (English teacher - McKinley Vocational High School, named Principal of Emerson Vocational High School)
- Mr. Jack L. Migliore (Guidance Counselor - Burgard High School, unknown)
- Mr. Don Brusky [interim]–1988-1990 (Physical Education teacher - Burgard High School, returned to position)
- Mr. Thomas C. Aquino–1990-1992 (Deputy Youth Director - City of Buffalo, named Supervisor of Personnel/Teacher Aides for Buffalo City Schools)
- Mr. Leonard J. Carfley–1992-1993 (unknown, retired)
- Mrs. Aloma D. Johnson–1993-1999 (Guidance Counselor - Burgard Vocational High School, retired)
- Mrs. Mary A. Craig–1999-2003 (Unknown, named Assistant Principal of Grover Cleveland High School)
- Mr. Carlos Villarroel–2003-2006 (Assistant Principal - Grover Cleveland High School, named Interim Principal of Burgard High School)
- Mrs. Denise E. Clarke–2003-2005 (ESL Teacher - Burgard High School, named Acting Assistant Principal of Frederick Law Olmsted 64)
- Mrs. Florence Schimert Krieter [interim]–2006-2007 (Social Studies Teacher - Burgard High School, named Interim Principal of Burgard High School)
- Dr. Bert L. Stevenson–2007-2008 (Director of Special Services - Buffalo Public Schools, named Assistant Principal of Bennett High School)
- Dr. Barbara J. Carson-Jones–2008-2010 (Vice Principal - Seneca Vocational High School, retired)
Selected former administrators 
|Year||Superintendent||Principal||Asst. Principal||Asst. Principal|
|1958-1959||Joseph Mench||Joe Crotty||Bill Sharp|
|1959-1960||Joseph Mench||Joe Crotty||Bill Sharp|
|1960-1961||Joseph Mench||Joe Crotty||Bill Sharp|
|1961-1962||Joseph Mench||Joe Crotty||Bill Sharp|
|1962-1963||Joseph Mench||Joe Crotty||Archie Rouselle|
|1963-1964||Joseph Mench||Joe Crotty||Archie Rouselle|
|1964-1965||Joseph Mench||Joe Crotty||Archie Rouselle|
|1965-1966||Joseph Mench||Joe Crotty||Archie Rouselle|
|1966-1967||Joseph Mench||Joe Crotty||Archie Rouselle|
|1967-1968||Joseph Mench||Joe Crotty||Archie Rouselle|
|1968-1969||Joseph Mench||Joe Crotty||Archie Rouselle|
|1969-1970||Joseph Mench||Joe Crotty||Archie Rouselle||Tom Cosgrove|
|1970-1971||Joseph Mench||Pat Curry||Archie Rouselle|
|1971-1972||Joseph Mench||Pat Curry||Archie Rouselle|
|1972-1973||Joseph Mench||Pat Curry||Sal Sedita|
|1973-1974||Joseph Mench||Pat Curry||Sal Sedita|
|1974-1975||Joseph Mench||Pat Curry||Sal Sedita|
|1975-1976||Eugene Reville||Pat Curry||Sal Sedita|
|1976-1977||Eugene Reville||Pat Curry||Sal Sedita|
|1977-1978||Eugene Reville||Pat Curry||Sal Sedita|
|1978-1979||Eugene Reville||Pat Curry||Sal Sedita|
|1979-1980||Eugene Reville||Pat Curry||Sal Sedita|
|1980-1981||Eugene Reville||Pat Curry||Sal Sedita|
|1981-1982||Eugene Reville||Pat Curry||Sal Sedita|
|1982-1983||Eugene Reville||Pat Curry||Sal Sedita|
|1983-1984||Eugene Reville||Pat Curry||Sal Sedita|
|1984-1985||Eugene Reville||Jim Harmon|
|1985-1986||Eugene Reville||Jim Harmon|
|1986-1987||Eugene Reville||John Mattimore|
|1987-1988||Eugene Reville||John Mattimore|
|1988-1989||Eugene Reville||Rocco Lamparelli||Don Brusky*|
|1989-1990||Eugene Reville||Rocco Lamparelli||Don Brusky*|
|1990-1991||Alfred Thompson||Tom Kopera||Tom Aquino|
|1991-1992||Albert Thompson||Tom Kopera||Tom Aquino|
|1992-1993||Albert Thompson||Tom Kopera||Leo Carfley|
|1993-1994||Albert Thompson||Tom Kopera||Aloma Johnson|
|1994-1995||Albert Thompson||Tom Kopera||Aloma Johnson|
|1995-1996||Albert Thompson||Tom Kopera||Aloma Johnson|
|1996-1997||Jim Harris||Tom Kopera||Aloma Johnson|
|1997-1998||Jim Harris||Tom Kopera||Aloma Johnson|
|1998-1999||Jim Harris||Tom Kopera||Aloma Johnson|
|1999-2000||Jim Harris||Tom Kopera||Mary Craig|
|2000-2001||Marion Canedo||Tom Kopera||Mary Craig|
|2001-2002||Marion Canedo||Tom Kopera||Mary Craig|
|2002-2003||Marion Canedo||Jim Pautler||Mary Craig|
|2003-2004||Marion Canedo||Jim Pautler||Carlos Villarroel||Denise Clarke*|
|2004-2005||Yvonne Hargrave||Jim Pautler||Carlos Villarroel||Denise Clarke|
|2005-2006||James Williams||Jim Pautler||Carlos Villarroel|
|2006-2007||James Williams||Carlos Villarroel*||Florence Krieter*|
|2007-2008||James Williams||Florence Krieter||Bert Stevenson|
|2008-2009||James Williams||Florence Krieter||Barb Jones|
|2009-2010||James Williams||Florence Krieter||Barb Jones|
|2010-2011||James Williams||Morris*/Wiesinger||Lorenda Williams||Andre Thomas|
|2011-2012||Amber Dixon*||Brian Wiesinger||Lorenda Williams||Andre Thomas|
|2012-2013||Pam Brown||Brian Wiesinger||Lorenda Williams||Andre Thomas|
*Denotes interim appointment
Notable alumni 
- Andre Coleman–former professional football player with the San Diego Chargers and Edmonton Eskimos (Class of 2002)
- Brian C. Davis–Former member of Buffalo, NY City Council
- Demone Smith; Member of Buffalo, NY Common Council
- James Stockman; Director of North Country Emergency Medical Services Program Agency.
- Al Dekdebrun
- "Search for Public School Districts – District Detail for Buffalo City School District". National Center for Education Statistics. Institute of Education Sciences. Retrieved December 6, 2012.
- "Search for Public Schools - School Detail for Burgard Vocational High School". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved December 6, 2012.
- Buffalo Public Schools. Retrieved September 19, 2010, from Burgard Public Schools: Burgard High School 301
- Burgard virtual tour. (2009). [Web]. Retrieved from http://www.buffaloschools.org//videos.cfm?vID=2043
- Jones, M. H. (2010). New York State Education Department Joint Intervention Team (JIT) Review: The Written Report. Albany: New York State Education Department.
- Simon, P. (2010, January 22). 7 Buffalo schools on state list face reforms. The Buffalo News.
- Pasiack, M. B. (2010, July 25). Williams will keep principals at three failing schools. The Buffalo News.
- Pasiack, M. B. (2010, August 17). Profile: Burgard Vocational High School. The Buffalo News.
- Pasiack, M. B. (2010, November 12). Principals shifted to positions on central staff. The Buffalo News .
- Pasiack, M. B. (2010, October 19). Ways To Say Goodbye. The Buffalo News
- Pasiack, M. B. (2010, October 19). State OKs grant for 4 schools. The Buffalo News.
- LaChiusa, C. Burgard Vocational HS Retrieved September 19, 2010, from Buffalo Architectural History.
- Ramtech Engineers. (Ramtech Engineers - Projects - Buffalo Public Schools - Burgard High School. Burgard High School Retrieved September 9, 2010, from Ramtech Engineers:
- "Truck and Bus". (2006, August 14). Retrieved September 19, 2010, from Karl R. Joser Photos: Burgard High School Photo
- J. PATRICK CURRY, RETIRED BURGARD PRINCIPAL. (1994, December 29). The Buffalo News.
- John J. Mattimore, Principal in Buffalo schools . (2011, May 2). The Buffalo News
- Mills, R. P. (2002). The New York State School Report Card for Burgard Vocational High School in Buffalo City School District. Albany: New York State Department Of Education.
- Mills, R. P. (2006). New York State School Report Card Comprehensive Information Report. Albany: New York State Department Of Education.
- Buffalo Public Schools (2007, February 14). Meeting of the Board of Education: Administrative Appointments.
- Buffalo Public Schools (2006, December 6). Meeting of the Board of Education: Administrative Appointments.
- Buffalo Public Schools (2010, December 1). Meeting of the Board of Education: Administrative Appointments.
- Buffalo Public Schools. (n.d.). Retrieved September 9, 2010, from Buffalo Public Schools: Buffalo Public Schools - Burgard.
- Herod-Zak, R. (2005). 09-14-05 Administrative Board Changes - Special Meeting. Board of Education Special Meeting September 14, 2005 (p. 1). Buffalo: Buffalo Public Schools.
- Sommer, M. (2008, August 14). 32 administrative changes approved. The Buffalo News.
- Buffalo Public Schools (2008, August 13). Meeting of the Board of Education: Administrative Appointments.