|This article is an orphan, as no other articles link to it. Please introduce links to this page from ; try the Find link tool for suggestions. (July 2013)|
|Food type||Burger restaurant|
|City||New York City|
|County||New York County|
Burger Heaven is a family owned diner-style burger restaurant in New York City, established in 1943. It is not to be confused with a separate and unrelated Burger Heaven restaurant in Alberta and British Columbia, Canada that was established in 1984 and serves poutine.
The chain started off as Beefburger on West 57th Street in 1943, but changed to Burger Heaven in 1974 due to trademark issues. For its 60th birthday in 2003, the chain served 60-cent food, drink and dessert specials. In addition to burgers, tuna salad is a favorite at the "consistent" chain owned by Evans Cyprus. The family tradition continued with the second generation of Cyprus family members.
In 2009 the chain operated six locations in Midtown Manhattan and the Upper East Side, though in recent years some locations were closed and the number of locations in May 2012 has been reduced to 3.
Menu offerings at Burger Heaven include pizza burgers, chili burgers, veggie burgers, "classic beef burgers" and turkey burgers as well as an array of salads, hot and cold sandwiches such as grilled cheese, tuna melts, triple-deckers, and chicken salad. The burgers are served on kaiser buns and the milk shakes are "paradisiacal". Breakfast is served until 11 a.m. and omelets are available any time. New York magazine describes the decor as "nostalgic 1990s-meets-1950s" noting that:
There's something about the bright yellow Formica tables, chrome fixtures, banquettes covered in cobalt vinyl, and light blue cloud-mural ceiling that does seem to bring you closer to that imaginary meat-patty paradise promised by the restaurant's name.
- Florence Fabricant (April 30, 2003). "FOOD STUFF; 60 Is Long in Years but Little in Pennies: A Celebration". New York Times.
- History & Information @ burgerheaven.ca
- Samantha Marshall (June 9, 2003). "Steady diet distinguishes chain Over 60 years, Burger Heaven builds market niche through consistency". Crain's New York Business.
- Lois Smith Brady (December 3, 2000). "WEDDINGS: VOWS; Marguerite Cyprus and Michael Loucas". New York Times.
- Hamburger Heaven Locations
- Andrew Sessa. "Burger Heaven restaurant profile". New York Magazine.
- "Restaurants and Bars: Burger Heaven". Time Out New York.
- Zagat rating