|Burges Salmon LLP|
|Headquarters||Bristol, United Kingdom|
|No. of offices||Bristol and London|
|No. of lawyers||400+ |
|No. of employees||600+ |
|Major practice areas||General practice|
|Revenue||£73.7 million (2013) |
|Date founded||1841 (Bristol)|
About Burges Salmon
Burges Salmon is a UK law firm with a diverse national and international client base, including FTSE-listed companies, government departments, public bodies, executives and high-net-worth individuals.
The firm operates throughout the UK and in all major European and international jurisdictions. Burges Salmon works with independent law firms around the world to meet clients’ international needs. The firm currently has 79 partners and has sector expertise in a range of areas including energy, transport, food and farming, real estate, financial services and infrastructure. Burges Salmon’s turnover for the 2012 / 2013 financial year was £73.7 million, with an operating profit of £23.5m and profit per equity partner of £423,000.
The firm undertakes numerous corporate responsibility initiatives, and collaborates with a wide range of organisations to contribute to three main areas: community, education and environment. The firm was a founder member of the Legal Sector Alliance.
The firm publishes an annual review called Insight.
The origins of the firm go back to 1841 when Edward Burges set up as a sole practitioner. His father and grandfather had both been lawyers before him.
Following the death of the founder in 1890, the practice was continued by his son W. E. Parry Burges who formed a partnership with a Mr Sloan, resulting in the name becoming Burges & Sloan. In 1947 the partnership was joined by Stuart Evans, who was then practising alone as Salmon, Cumberland and Evans. The firm's move to Narrow Quay House in 1982 saw the shortening of the name to "Burges Salmon".
In 2010 Burges Salmon re-located from Narrow Quay to its current head office at One Glass Wharf  in the Bristol Temple Quarter Enterprise Zone. In 2012, the firm also moved its London offices from Chancery Exchange to New Street Square, enabling it to operate from both Bristol and London.
The firm's recent history has been characterised by continued independence and a focus on consolidating a position as one of the UK’s leading law firms. Working across numerous industry sectors and core practice areas, the firm has built a formidable reputation in sectors including energy, transport, food, farming and land, real estate, financial services and infrastructure.
Burges Salmon has authored a number of publications including the Burges Salmon Guide to Nuclear Law and the Burges Salmon Guide for Landowners and Farmers, also known as The Pink Book.
In 2008, allegations were made against Burges Salmon that sub-prime loans may have been mis-sold to farmers, and was investigated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. In October 2010 the Solicitors Regulation Authority announced that it had closed the investigation with no further action.
Notable deals / cases in 2013
- Advised longstanding client FirstGroup on the sale of eight of its London bus depots in a deal worth around £80m 
- Helped the Discovery Channel to successfully defend a fierce trade mark and passing off challenge by AETN.
- Advised Business Growth Fund as it invested £3.9 million to support growth for travel product pioneer Trunki.
- Represented Eurostar in a case which set new standards in complex procurement and rail disputes.
- Advised Leeds United F.C. on a test case which saw West Yorkshire Police ultimately lose an appeal relating to charges for match day policing.
- Advised the Competition Commission on the corporate aspects of the sale of Edinburgh Airport for £807.2m at the end of April 2012.
- Advised longstanding client Milk Link on its merger with Danish dairy giant Arla Foods, creating one of the first ever mergers between a UK and a foreign co-operative.
- Advised Cardiff City Transport Limited (trading as Cardiff Bus) in its successful defence of a major claim brought by a competitor before the Competition Appeal Tribunal.
- Lawyer Awards 2013 
Competition Team of the Year – Runner-up
Litigation Team of the Year - Shortlisted
Corporate Restructuring Team of the Year - Shortlisted
Private Wealth Team of the Year - Shortlisted
- Insider South West Dealmakers Awards 2013
Corporate Law Firm of the Year - Winner 
- European Pensions Awards 2013 
European Pensions Law Firm of the Year - Shortlisted
- Knowlist Awards 2013 
IT Team Achievement Award - Winner
- Legal Business Awards 2013 
Competition Team of the Year – Shortlisted
Energy & Natural Resources Team of the Year – Shortlisted
- British Legal Awards 2012 
Commercial Team of the Year – Winner – for work with the NDA on the decommissioning of Dounreay
Litigation and Regulatory Team of the Year – Shortlisted
- Bristol Law Society Awards
Law Firm of the Year – Winner (national category)
- The Lawyer Awards 2012 
Competition / Regulatory Team of the Year – Joint Winner
- LawCareers.net Awards 
Best Trainee Solicitor Recruiter - national firm winner for seventh consecutive year
- "Burges Salmon LLP – Bristol – Law Firm Profile - Chambers UK 2015 – Chambers and Partners". chambersandpartners.com. Retrieved 2015-03-07.
- "Legal Week - Burges Salmon posts increases in revenue and PEP led by corporate performance". legalweek.com. Retrieved 2015-03-07.
- "Burges Salmon’s turnover inches up to record high of £73.7m | News | The Lawyer". thelawyer.com. Retrieved 2015-03-07.
- "Financial results 2013: steady as she goes for Burges Salmon | www.legalbusiness.co.uk". legalbusiness.co.uk. Retrieved 2015-03-07.
- "Corporate Responsibility | Burges Salmon – a leading UK law firm". burges-salmon.com. Retrieved 2015-03-07.
- "Burges Salmon LLP | Legal Sector Alliance". legalsectoralliance.co.uk. Retrieved 2015-03-07.
- "Bristol law firm Burges Salmon raises £80,000 for Wallace and Gromit Grand Appeal with cheese related antics | Bristol Post". thisisbristol.co.uk. Retrieved 2015-03-07.
- Gromit Unleashed. "Gromit Unleashed | Sponsor a Gromit in Bristol". web.archive.org. Retrieved 2015-03-07.
- "Our annual review | Burges Salmon – a leading UK law firm". burges-salmon.com. Retrieved 2015-03-07.
- "One Glass Wharf | Burges Salmon Office Space". web.archive.org. Retrieved 2015-03-07.
- "Home | Bristol Temple Quarter Enterprise Zone". bristoltemplequarter.com. Retrieved 2015-03-07.
- "Legal Week - UK top 50 2011-12: firm by firm". legalweek.com. Retrieved 2015-03-07.
- "FirstGroup sells eight bus depots in £80m deal - Telegraph". telegraph.co.uk. Retrieved 2015-03-07.
- "Owning history: it’s all in the wording | Opinion | The Lawyer". thelawyer.com. Retrieved 2015-03-07.
- "Fund invests £4m in ride-on suitcase Trunki - Telegraph". telegraph.co.uk. Retrieved 2015-03-07.
- "Roth J hands victory to Eurostar in train contract row | News | The Lawyer". thelawyer.com. Retrieved 2015-03-07.
- "Leeds United scores victory against West Yorkshire Police in CoA | News | The Lawyer". thelawyer.com. Retrieved 2015-03-07.
- "Legal Week - Slaughters and McGrigors lead on BAA's £807m Edinburgh Airport sell-off". legalweek.com. Retrieved 2015-03-07.
- "BBC News - Arla Foods and Milk Link merge to create £2bn firm". bbc.co.uk. Retrieved 2015-03-07.
- "Addleshaws and Burges Salmon each score points as CAT rules in Cardiff bus wars case | News | The Lawyer". thelawyer.com. Retrieved 2015-03-07.
- "Is it you? The Lawyer Awards shortlist unveiled | News | The Lawyer". thelawyer.com. Retrieved 2015-03-07.
- "Insider South West Dealmakers Awards 2013 Coverage - Tuesday 25 June 2013". insidermedia.com. Retrieved 2015-03-07.
- "European Pensions Awards". europeanpensions.net. Retrieved 2015-03-07.
- "Burges Salmon | TheKnowList - the network for leaders in business technology". theknowlist.com. Retrieved 2015-03-07.
- "Awards | www.legalbusiness.co.uk". legalbusiness.co.uk. Retrieved 2015-03-07.
- "2012 Finalists - The British Legal Awards 2015". britishlegalawards.com. Retrieved 2015-03-07.
- "The Lawyer Awards 2012: Mishcon de Reya, Brick Court scoop top prizes | News | The Lawyer". thelawyer.com. Retrieved 2015-03-07.
- "LC.N Award Winners". web.archive.org. Retrieved 2015-03-07.
- Burges Salmon website
- Profile in Chambers UK and the Chambers Student Guide
- Burges Salmon talks the talk, The Lawyer, 26 March 2008
- Lorraine Cushnie, Burges Salmon assists FirstGroup with rail triumph. The Lawyer, 15-Dec-2005