Royal Library of Belgium
||This article may be expanded with text translated from the corresponding article in the French Wikipedia. (April 2010)|
The Royal Library of Belgium (Koninklijke Bibliotheek België in Dutch, Bibliothèque royale de Belgique in French, abbreviated KBR and sometimes nicknamed Albertina) is one of the most important cultural institutions in Belgium. The library has a history that goes back to the age of the Dukes of Burgundy. In the second half of the 20th century, a new building was constructed on the Mont des Arts in central Brussels, near the Central Station. The library owns several collections of historical importance, like the famous Fétis archives, and is the depository for all books ever published in Belgium or abroad by Belgian authors.
There are four million bound volumes in the Royal Library, including a rare book collection numbering 45,000 works. The library has more than 700,000 engravings and drawings, 150,000 maps and plans, and more than 250,000 objects, from coins to scales to monetary weights. This coin collection holds one of the most valuable coins in the field of numismatics, a fifth-century Sicilian tetradrachm.
The library also houses the Center for American Studies, a new institute of higher learning established by the University of Antwerp, the Free University of Brussels, the University of Ghent, and the Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, which is internationally accredited for delivering Master of Arts degrees in American Studies.
The Royal Library is open for reference only. Patrons must be at least eighteen years of age and must pay an annual membership fee.
- 1837-1850 : Frédéric de Reiffenberg (nl)
- 1850-1887 : Louis-Joseph Alvin
- 1887-1904 : Edouard Fétis
- 1904-1909 : Henri Hymans
- 1909-1912 : Joseph Van Den Gheyn, S.J.
- 1913-1914 : Dom Ursmer Berlière O.S.B.
- 1919-1929 : Louis Paris
- 1929-1943 : Victor Tourneur
- 1944-1953 : Frédéric Lyna
- 1953-1955 : Marcel Hoc
- 1956-1973 : Herman Liebaers
- 1973-1990 : Martin Wittek
- 1990-1991 : Denise De Weerdt
- 1992 : Josiane Roelants-Abraham
- 1992-2002 : Pierre Cockshaw
- 2002-2005 : Raphaël De Smedt
- 2005- : Patrick Lefèvre
- List of libraries in Belgium
- Academia Belgica
- Belgian Federal Science Policy Office (BELSPO)
- Center for Historical Research and Documentation on War and Contemporary Society
- National and Provincial State Archives
- National Library of the Netherlands
- Murray, Stuart A. P. “The Library: An Illustrated History.” New York, NY: Skyhorse Publishing, 2012, p. 249-250.
- Murray, Stuart A. P. “The Library: An Illustrated History.” New York, NY: Skyhorse Publishing, 2012, p. 250.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Koninklijke Bibliotheek/Bibliothèque Royale.|
- Official website (Dutch) (French)
- Official Website of the Center for American Studies (English)
- Floorplan of the Library