Burlington Center Mall
|Location||Burlington Township, New Jersey, U.S.|
|Developer||The Rouse Company|
|No. of stores and services||100|
|No. of anchor tenants||2 (1 vacant)|
|Total retail floor area||670,000 square feet|
|No. of floors||2|
Burlington Center Mall is a two-level enclosed shopping mall located in Burlington Township, New Jersey, opened in August 1982. It was built by The Rouse Company of Columbia, Maryland. The mall has a Gross leasable area of 670,000 ft².
The Burlington Center Mall opened in 1982 and was developed by The Rouse Company. The opening of the Burlington County Mall in 1982 on the formerly rural corridor along County Route 541, has been credited as the trigger of a development boom on the stretch between Burlington Township and Mount Holly Township. JCPenney opened a 103,000-square-foot (9,600 m2) store in August 1996 as an addition to the existing Strawbridge's and Sears stores. Jager Management acquired the mall in November 1999 for $10.5 million. Strawbridge's, a longtime anchor at the mall, was converted to a Macy's store as of September 9, 2006. In recent times, the Burlington Center Mall has seen an increase in the vacancy rate with few national chains remaining in the mall. In January 2010, Macy's announced that it's Burlington Center location would close by March 2010. In June 2012, the mall was sold at auction to Moonbeam Equities. On January 15, 2014, it was announced that the JCPenney store would be closing as part of a plan to close 33 locations nationwide. This will leave Sears as the only anchor store at the mall. In 2014, the mall announced plans for redevelopment that would demolish the former Macy's and replace it with an outdoor shopping area; the JCPenney site will also be incorporated into the redevelopment. Construction is expected to begin in 2015.
The mall was closed early on January 13, 2007, due to gang-related violence that may have involved 20 individuals connected with the Bloods and the Next Level Gang (considered a stepping stone to the Crips).
- International Council of Shopping Centers: Burlington Center Mall, accessed September 21, 2006
- Frush, Charlie (November 19, 1986). "Boom Times Seeking Gold in the Route 541 Corridor". The Philadelphia Inquirer.
- O'Sullivan, Jeannie (August 22, 2012). "Burlington Center Mall turns 30, gets new owner". Burlington County Times. Retrieved February 7, 2013.
- Bishop, Christopher (April 30, 2006). "Strawbridge's retail reign ends". Burlington County Times.
- Conaboy, Chelsea (January 7, 2010). "Macy's closing new blow to a mall some call dead". The Philadelphia Inquirer. Retrieved May 4, 2011.
- "Here's A List Of The J.C. Penney Stores That Are Closing". The Huffington Post. January 15, 2014. Retrieved January 16, 2014.
- "JCPenney closing in Burlington Twp.". The Courier-Post (Cherry Hill, NJ). January 16, 2014. Retrieved January 16, 2014.
- Rojas, Cristina (February 2, 2014). "Closure of J.C. Penney at Burlington Center Mall a 'possible opportunity' to expand redevelopment, owner says". The Times (Trenton, NJ). Retrieved February 28, 2014.
- Fight closes mall in Burlington Twp., The Courier-Post, January 16, 2007
- Mall Brawl Possibly Sparked by Mistaken Identity, WPVI-TV, January 16, 2007