Burn the Witch
|"Burn the Witch"|
|Single by Queens of the Stone Age|
|from the album Lullabies to Paralyze|
|Released||January 10, 2006|
|Label||Universal Music Group|
Troy Van Leeuwen
|Queens of the Stone Age singles chronology|
"Burn the Witch" is the third single released from Queens of the Stone Age's fourth album, Lullabies to Paralyze. Many of its lyrics run parallel with the dark, folkloristic theme for this album. It has been introduced by Josh Homme when played live as his favorite current song.
Along with "You've Got a Killer Scene There, Man...", it borrows heavily from the blues, probably because ZZ Top's guitarist and singer Billy Gibbons appears on lead guitar and backup vocals. Gibbons also plays on a cover of his own band's "Precious and Grace", a bonus track on the album.
The four guys and Billy are all playing together, with Josh singing into an amplifier, and every mic in the room wide open. That's where all the space comes from. I did two different mixes in analogue on the fly, and loaded them into Pro Tools to line them up to see if I wanted to cut sections from one mix to the other. I then started nudging one of the mixes slightly ahead or behind, getting a phase going when I played the mixes together. It totally tripped it out, and was the effect we were looking for. So I ended up putting the two mixes on top of each other like this. It's got a vibe.—Joe Barresi in interview with Sound On Sound
The song involves an exchange of vocal lines between the falsetto of Homme and the twin baritones of Gibbons and Mark Lanegan. Gibbons does not regularly tour with the band, so the other vocal was performed by Lanegan, until he stopped touring with the band. Currently, Josh Homme sings alone with backing vocals from the rest of the band, who lack either of the studio musicians' deep growls. In the previous line-up, Homme played bass and Alain Johannes played a quite different version of Gibbons' solo. This song (its remix by UNKLE) was also featured in and on the soundtrack of Saw II. This song is also featured in the trailer to the fourth season of the HBO series True Blood.
- "Burn the Witch" (Castillo, Homme, Van Leeuwen) - 3:38
- "No One Knows" [live] (Homme, Lanegan) - 7:49
- "I Wanna Make It wit Chu" [live] (Homme, Johannes, Melchiondo) - 4:29
- "Monsters in the Parasol" [live] (Homme, Lalli) - 4:34
- "Burn the Witch" [multimedia track] (Castillo, Homme, Van Leeuwen) - 5:38
- All the live tracks are taken from Over the Years and Through the Woods DVD/CD.
- Joe Barresi - Producer, Engineer, Mixing
- Josh Homme - Producer, Vocals, Bass Guitar, Guitar licks
- Troy Van Leeuwen - Lap steel guitar
- Joey Castillo - Drums
- Alain Johannes - Guitar, Engineer
- Mark Lanegan - Vocals
- Billy Gibbons - Lead Guitar, Vocals
- Liam Lynch - Video Producer, Video Director
- "Recording Queens Of The Stone Age". Sound On Sound. 2009-01-03.