Burns & Wilcox
Burns & Wilcox is an independent insurance wholesale broker and managing underwriter. The company offers over 300 insurance products and earned $140.1 million in revenue in 2010. Founded in 1969 by Herbert W. Kaufman, Burns & Wilcox now encompasses 37 offices in 24 states and one office in London, England. Its corporate headquarters is located in Farmington Hills, Michigan. Today, Burns & Wilcox remains a family run company with Herbert's son Alan Jay Kaufman serving as Chairman, President, and CEO.
Burns & Wilcox, now family-owned, was previously a public company. No one named "Burns" nor "Wilcox" was involved in the founding or growth of the company; the name was chosen by Herbert Kaufman because he thought it carried a strong professional undertone.
Burns & Wilcox specializes in excess and surplus lines of insurance and works with admitted and non-admitted carriers. The company also offers standard lines policies such as homeowners, automobile, and professional liability. The following are examples of excess lines products provided by Burns & Wilcox: Cemetery Coverage, Flea Market Vendor Coverage, Rodeo Coverage, Medical Marijuana Dispensary Coverage, and Miniature Golf Course Coverage.
H.W. Kaufman Financial Group
- Burns & Wilcox (insurance wholesaler)
- R.B. Jones (specialty insurance brokerage)
- Burns & Wilcox Re (reinsurance firm)
- Royal Premium (finance company)
- Minuteman Adjusters (Third-Party Administrator)
- US Reports (audit and risk management firm)
- In 2011, the National Association of Insurance Women named Melanie Elias, Director of Claims, International Claims Professional of the Year.
- Ernst & Young selected H.W. Kaufman Financial Group CEO, chairman, and president Alan Jay Kaufman as a regional winner in their Entrepreneur of the Year program for the Michigan and Northwest Ohio Business Services category in July 2011.
- Director of Professional Lines David Derigiotis teaches a "webinar" for Insurance Journal's Academy of Insurance.
Agents Market Source
Burns & Wilcox publishes a magazine named Agents Market Source that examines industry trends, marketing strategies, and product spotlights. The magazine features articles written by Burns & Wilcox employees as well as outside industry sources and appears twice annually with spring and fall editions.
- Opportunity Seen In 'New Market' For Allied Medical Professionals
- Residential Contractor Umbrellas: Tough Sell in Tough Times
- Business Risk Survival 101: A Simple Matter Of Extra Insurance Protection
- Asterisk Financial, Burns & Wilcox Introduce Personal Guarantee Insurance
- New Personal Guarantee Insurance Benefits Business Owners