|• Total||4.8 sq mi (12.4 km2)|
|• Land||4.8 sq mi (12.3 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||466 ft (142 m)|
|• Density||217.6/sq mi (84.0/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||0667827|
Burnsville is located at (34.838564, -88.314098).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 4.8 square miles (12 km2), of which 4.8 square miles (12 km2) is land and 0.04 square miles (0.10 km2) (0.42%) is water.
Rivers and streams
|City of Burnsville
Population by year 
1990 - 949
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,034 people, 412 households, and 285 families residing in the town. The population density was 217.6 people per square mile (84.0/km2). There were 465 housing units at an average density of 97.8 per square mile (37.8/km2). The racial makeup of the town was 98.07% White, 0.39% Native American, and 1.55% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.26% of the population.
There were 412 households out of which 35.7% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 47.1% were married couples living together, 17.2% had a female householder with no husband present, and 30.6% were non-families. 29.1% of all households were made up of individuals and 10.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.51 and the average family size was 3.06.
In the town the population was spread out with 29.7% under the age of 18, 9.8% from 18 to 24, 27.1% from 25 to 44, 23.9% from 45 to 64, and 9.6% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 32 years. For every 100 females there were 87.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 82.7 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $20,083, and the median income for a family was $27,679. Males had a median income of $28,523 versus $18,333 for females. The per capita income for the town was $12,359. About 23.5% of families and 27.4% of the population were below the poverty line, including 34.8% of those under age 18 and 27.9% of those age 65 or over.
- Burnsville Elementary - grades K-8 with an enrollment of 498 students
- Burnsville Public Library - has a collection of ~179,000 books and serial volumes
- U.S. Route 72 - an east-west corridor that runs from Chattanooga, Tennessee to Memphis
- Mississippi Highway 365 - runs north-south through Tishomingo County
FM radio stations
- WOWL 91.9 FM, Owner - Southern Community Services, Inc.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.