Burnt Woods is an unincorporated community in Lincoln County, Oregon, United States. It is located about 16 miles west of Philomath on U.S. Route 20 in the Central Oregon Coast Range near the Tumtum River.
Burnt Woods post office was established in 1919, after the name was chosen from a list of proposed names sent to the Post Office Department. The signs of past forest fires are still evident in the area. Burnt Woods post office closed in 1978.
The community has a store and a café. The store has been operating since the early 1920s. The café was opened in 1925 and has seen several ownership changes since then.
- ^ "Burnt Woods". Geographic Names Information System, U.S. Geological Survey. November 28, 1980. Retrieved 2011-01-09.
- ^ Oregon Atlas & Gazetteer (7th ed.). Yarmouth, Maine: DeLorme. 2008. p. 32. ISBN 0-89933-347-8.
- ^ a b c McArthur, Lewis A.; McArthur, Lewis L. (2003) [First published 1928]. Oregon Geographic Names (7th ed.). Portland, Oregon: Oregon Historical Society Press. p. 129. ISBN 9780875952772. OCLC 53075956.
- ^ Friedman, Ralph (1990). In Search of Western Oregon (2nd ed.). Caldwell, Idaho: The Caxton Printers, Ltd. p. 197. ISBN 0-87004-332-3.
- ^ a b Downing, Kathi (July 14, 2005). "Burnt Woods Store: Peel Back the Layers of History". Corvallis Gazette-Times. Retrieved 2011-01-09.
- ^ Odegard, Kyle (April 7, 2008). "Coast On In". Corvallis Gazette-Times. Retrieved 2011-01-09.
- ^ Idzerda, Evelyn (April 18, 2002). "Burnt Woods Cafe to Reopen". Corvallis Gazette-Times. Retrieved 2011-01-09.
External links 
Coordinates: 44°36′13″N 123°37′22″W / 44.603731°N 123.622885°W