Burow's solution, named after the mid-19th century ophthalmologist Karl August Burow, is a pharmacological preparation consisting of an aqueous solution of aluminium acetate. It is available in the U.S. as an over the counter preparation, with brand-names including Domeboro, Domeboro Otic, Star-Otic, and Borofair. The preparation has astringent and antibacterial properties and may be used to treat a number of skin conditions such as insect bites, rashes caused by poison ivy and poison sumac, swelling, allergies and bruises. However it's principle use is as a treatment for otitis, including otomycosis.
Burow's solution may be used to treat various forms of otitis. As a drug it is inexpensive and non-ototoxic. In cases of otomycosis it is less effective than clotrimazole but remains an effective treatment.
- Drugs.com: Acetic acid/ aluminum acetate solution
- Thorp et al.; Kruger, J.; Oliver, S.; Nilssen, E. L. K.; Prescott, C. A. J. (1998). "The antibacterial activity of acetic acid and Burow's solution as topical otological preparations". J. Laryngology & Otology (Cambridge University Press) 112 (112): 925–928. doi:10.1017/S0022215100142100.
- Kashiwamura M, Chida E, Matsumura M, Nakamaru Y, Suda N, Terayama Y, Fukuda S (January 2004). "The efficacy of Burow's solution as an ear preparation for the treatment of chronic ear infections". Otology & Neurotology 25 (1): 9–13. doi:10.1097/00129492-200401000-00002. PMID 14724484. Retrieved 2013-05-18.
- Kashiwamura, Masaaki; Chida, Eiji; Matsumura, Michiya; Nakamaru, Yuuji; Suda, Noriyuki; Terayama, Yoshihiko; Fukuda, Satoshi. "The Efficacy of Burow's Solution as an Ear Preparation for the Treatment of Chronic Ear Infections". Otology & Neurotology 25 (1): 9–13. doi:10.1097/00129492-200401000-00002.
- Munguia, Raymundo; Daniel, Sam J. "Ototopical antifungals and otomycosis: A review". International Journal of Pediatric Otorhinolaryngology 72 (4): 453–459. doi:10.1016/j.ijporl.2007.12.005.
|This dermatologic drug article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|