The preparation has astringent and antibacterial properties and is used to treat a number of skin conditions such as insect bites, rashes caused by poison ivy and poison sumac, swelling, allergies and bruises. Burow's solution is traditionally applied in cold compresses over the affected area. In otology, it is applied as ear drops of a 5% of aluminium acetate. Burow's solution is available over the counter as a generic preparation. Bayer also manufactures a modified form of the preparation under the commercial name Domeboro. This version is currently recommended for the skin during radiation treatment.
Burow is also famous as the inventor of a procedure that facilitates plastic surgical operations, whereby a triangle of skin is cut out which then closes up as one side is pulled upon to close a wound or skin defect distant to the Burow's triangle.
Saturation divers have reported Otitis externa during occupational exposure. Otic Domeboro was first evaluated as a preventative measure by the United States Navy Experimental Diving Unit in 1974. This has proven to be an effective method for prevention of Otitis externa in divers.
- Kashiwamura M, Chida E, Matsumura M, Nakamaru Y, Suda N, Terayama Y, Fukuda S (January 2004). "The efficacy of Burow's solution as an ear preparation for the treatment of chronic ear infections". Otology & Neurotology 25 (1): 9–13. doi:10.1097/00129492-200401000-00002. PMID 14724484. Retrieved 2013-05-18.
- Thorp et al.; Kruger, J.; Oliver, S.; Nilssen, E. L. K.; Prescott, C. A. J. (1998). "The antibacterial activity of acetic acid and Burow's solution as topical otological preparations". J. Laryngology & Otology (Cambridge University Press) 112 (112): 925–928. doi:10.1017/S0022215100142100.
- Cobet AB, Wright DN, Warren PI (June 1970). "Tektite-I program: bacteriological aspects". Aerosp Med 41 (6): 611–6. PMID 4392833.
- Ahlén C, Mandal LH, Iversen OJ (July 1998). "Identification of infectious Pseudomonas aeruginosa strains in an occupational saturation diving environment". Occup Environ Med 55 (7): 480–4. doi:10.1136/oem.55.7.480. PMC 1757612. PMID 9816382. Retrieved 2013-05-18.
- Thalmann, Edward D (1974). "A Prophylactic Program for the Prevention of Otitis Externa in Saturation Divers". United States Navy Experimental Diving Unit Technical Report. NEDU-RR-10-74. Retrieved 2013-05-18.
- Dibb WL (September 1985). "In vitro efficacy of Otic Domeboro against Pseudomonas aeruginosa". Undersea Biomedical Research 12 (3): 307–13. PMID 3933153. Retrieved 2013-05-18.
|This dermatologic drug article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|