Burraneer, New South Wales
Sydney, New South Wales
Gunnamatta Bay, Burraneer
|Location||26 km (16 mi) south of Sydney CBD|
Burraneer is a small suburb in southern Sydney, in the state of New South Wales, Australia. Burraneer is 26 kilometres south of the Sydney central business district, in the local government area of the Sutherland Shire.
Burraneer sits on the peninsula of Burraneer Point, on the north shore of the Port Hacking estuary. Burraneer Bay forms the western border and Gunnamatta Bay the eastern border. Woolooware is the only adjacent suburb. Cronulla is located across Gunnamatta Bay. The suburbs of Dolans Bay, Port Hacking and Caringbah are located across Burraneer Bay. The villages of Maianbar and Bundeena are located on the opposite bank of Port Hacking. Burraneer is a mostly residential suburb.
Burraneer is an Aboriginal word meaning point of the bay. It was named by Surveyor Robert Dixon in 1827, who chose many Aboriginal names for many of the bays in the area.
In 1858 Mary and Andrew Webster paid 108 pounds and 15 shillings plus a yearly peppercorn quit rent for their land here. The Websters sold their land to Dominick Dolan in 1863. James Wilson purchased his block of 252 acres (1.0 km2) for 252 pounds in 1862. In 1866, he sold his land to Thomas Holt (1811-1888), who added it to his huge 12,000-acre (49 km2) estate that stretched from Sutherland to Cronulla.
A small group of shops is located in Woolooware Road. Another group of shops is located nearby, on Burraneer Bay Road, Woolooware.
- Burraneer Bay Public School is officially located in Woolooware.
- The Royal Motor Yacht Club is located on Gunnamatta Bay.
- The Burraneer Bay Marina is located on Burraneer Bay.
Sport and recreation
- Burraneer's nearest sporting club is Cronulla Seagulls Football Club, located in neighbouring Woolooware.
- Burraneer Bay Park has an area of bushland, a boardwalk, a playground and a bicycle/jogging track.
- The Book of Sydney Suburbs, Compiled by Frances Pollon, Angus & Robertson Publishers, 1990, Published in Australia ISBN 0-207-14495-8, p41
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Burraneer, New South Wales.|