Burrowing Owl Conservation Network
|Type||501(c)(3) non-profit organization|
|Focus||Burrowing Owl, habitat and Wildlife Conservation|
|Method||Conservation, Ecosystem Restoration, Education, Research, Collaboration, Outreach|
|Slogan||"Save Burrowing Owls, Preserve Habitat, Prevent Extinction"|
Burrowing Owl Conservation Network is a United States-based, 501(c)(3) non-profit organization founded in 2008, and is dedicated to “the protection and restoration of Burrowing Owls and promotes the preservation and careful management of habitat to prevent loss, foster healthy populations, and maintain intact natural communities for an ecologically sound future." The organization is active in California political intervention aimed at Burrowing Owl protection, and fundraising used for conservation, education and outreach, raptor research, and advocacy. The organization’s efforts include habitat protection, ecosystem restoration, collaborations with private lands owners, government agencies and non-profit organizations, and installation of artificial burrows.
The organization was originally named “Friends of East Bay Owls” and its mission was focused on protecting Burrowing Owls and habitat in the East Bay (San Francisco Bay Area). Today, the organization’s mission and work has expanded throughout California and North America. The organization has offices in Visalia, CA, Berkeley, CA and Redding, CA, U.S. Burrowing Owl Conservation Network is a project of Earth Island Institute.
Conservation Strategy Petition
Burrowing Owl Conservation Network spearheaded a 2011 state-wide petition for the “immediate development, release for public comment and implementation of a Comprehensive Conservation Strategy for Burrowing Owls.” This petition was a joint project with Defenders of Wildlife and was signed by 22 other California organizations representing more than 209,000 Californians.
Earth Island Institute
Burrowing Owl Conservation Network was adopted by Earth Island Institute on July 24, 2010. Earth Island Institute provides Burrowing Owl Conservation Network with fiscal sponsorship and administrative support for their grassroots efforts.
- "About Us". Burrowing Owl Conservation Network. Retrieved 13 May 2012.
- "Earth Island Reports: New Earth Island Projects". Earth Island Journal 25 (3). 2010.
- Greene, Jessica (January 4, 2010). "Speaking Up for the Owls". NBC Bay Area. Retrieved 13 May 2012.
- "Burrowing Owl Advocates Ask Attorney General To Stop Bird Evictions". KTVU Channel 2. Retrieved 13 May 2012.
- Gehlke, Roni (August 24, 2011). "East Contra Costa conservation group protects at-risk burrowing owls" (PDF). Contra Costa Times.
- Rodriguez, Suzie (July 28, 2011). "Helping the Valley's Burrowing Owl Survive" (PDF). Sonoma Press Democrat. Retrieved 13 May 2012.
- Tam, Katherine (January 3, 2010). "East Bay owl advocates protest birds relocation" (PDF). Contra Costa Times.
- "Antioch, California: Owl Controversy". Wikipedia: Antioch, California. Wikipedia. Retrieved 13 May 2012.
- "23 Organizations Sign Petition". The Quail 56 (9): 5. June 2011.
- "23 California Organizations Sign-On to Burrowing Owl Conservation Letter". The Burrow Guardian 2 (2). April 2011.
- "Project Directory". Earth Island Institute. Retrieved 13 May 2012.