Thomas a Becket Church
Burton-le-Coggles shown within Lincolnshire
|OS grid reference|
|- London||90 mi (140 km) S|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Dialling code||01476 550|
|EU Parliament||East Midlands|
|UK Parliament||Grantham and Stamford|
Burton Coggles (full name Burton-le-Coggles from Byrton-en-les-Coggles) is a small village and civil parish in the South Kesteven district of Lincolnshire, England. The village is situated 7 miles (11 km) south from Grantham, and between the B1176 road and the East Coast Main Line.
Prince Charles and Camilla, The Duchess of Cornwall visited Burton Coggles on 29 November 2011. The hour-long tour of the village included meeting dignitaries and schoolchildren, and visiting a local public house and farm shop.
The village contains 43 houses and has a population of a little over 100. Until recently the village still retained a post office on Post Office Lane, but public services are now restricted to the Cholmeley Arms public house (still commonly known by its previous name, The Hare & Hounds), and a small village hall. Local services are found in Corby Glen. Burton Coggles is mainly an agriculture village, but there has been a shift in recent years towards more commuting.
The parish boundary extends westwards to include Sleight's Wood on the road Easton Lane (also known as Burton Lane) to Easton. At Burton Rookery, next to the railway, the parish borders Bitchfield and Bassingthorpe and further east, the boundary crosses the River West Glen and the B1176. At Colley Holts, it meets the parish of Irnham. Further south it meets the parish of Corby Glen, which is close to the south of village. The boundary passes close to Corby Birkholme, and near to the A151, at Little Osgrove Wood (in Corby Glen), it meets Colsterworth parish. Slightly further north, on the edge of Easton Wood, the boundary meets Easton.
- "Civil Parish details".
- Parish Council
- OSGB (2006). Grantham: Bottesford & Colsterworth (Map). 1:25000 (3 ed.). p. 247. ISBN 978-0-319-23833-2. http://leisure.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/products/paper-maps/paper-maps-ordnance-survey-great-britain/paper-maps-ordnance-survey-great-britain-os-explorer-map/grantham/pid-9780319238332.
- "Burton le Coggles P C C " Diocese of Lincoln. Retrieved 14 May 2012
- North Beltisloe Group of Parishes web site. Retrieved 14 May 2012
- "North Beltisloe Group Council Report for PCC AGMs."; Boothby.org.uk. PDF download required. Retrieved 14 May 2012
- "Church of St Thomas a Becket", National Heritage List for England, English Heritage. Retrieved 3 July 2011
- "National Monument record for church".
- "Royal Visit - Prince Charles visits village pub on Lincolnshire tour", Grantham Journal, 29 November 2011. Retrieved 12 December 2011
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Burton Coggles.|