Burwood railway station, Sydney
|Address||Railway Parade, Burwood
New South Wales, Australia
|Elevation||64.9 metres (213 ft)|
|Line(s)||Main Suburban line|
|Distance||10.62 km (6.60 mi) from Central|
|Platforms||6 (2 Island, 2 side)|
Burwood is a major station on the Main Suburban railway line in the suburb of Burwood in Sydney. The station is located on Burwood Road, close to major shops and schools, and has platforms on all six of the tracks through the station. The station concourse is below the platforms with access to Burwood Road. Burwood is served by Sydney Trains North Shore, Northern & Western Line and Airport, Inner West & South Line.
Burwood is the 15th most patronised railway station in Sydney (out of a total of 176 stations), with an average of 13,480 passengers boarding per day.
The first Burwood station, was opened on 26 September 1855 at a site at ground level on the west side of Burwood Road. The station was moved in 1892 to the current location on the east side of Burwood Road and along Railway Parade in Burwood when the line was quadruplicated. The line through Burwood was sextuplicated in 1922, and a second subway was constructed at the eastern end of the station. This subway closed after 1985. In 2009 and 2010, the station underwent a significant refurbishment to address high levels of congestion at times of high patronage. Work included an expanded concourse with extra ticket barriers, new toilets and lifts to the platforms. The upgrade was completed in mid 2010.
Platforms and services
The station is served by six to eight trains per hour each way, with additional trains during weekday peak hours.
|1||not in regular use||faces 'up main' tracks, trains pass without stopping||May be used during service disruption or trackwork|
|2||not in regular use||faces 'down main' tracks, trains pass without stopping||May be used during service disruption or trackwork|
|3||all stations and limited stops services to Central, then Chatswood and beyond|
|4||all stations and limited stops and peak hour express services to Epping via Strathfield, Richmond, Penrith or Emu Plains|
|5||all stations and limited stops services to Central and the City Circle|
|6||all stations to Homebush|
Sydney Buses runs the following routes via Burwood station:
- Route 400 - to Bondi Junction via Campsie, Rockdale, Eastgardens
- Route 407 - to Strathfield via Homebush West
- Route 408 - to Rookwood via Homebush and Strathfield
- Route 415 - between Campsie and Chiswick via Belfield, StrathfieldFive Dock
- Route 418 - to Bondi Junction via Ashfield, Marrickville, Tempe, Mascot and Randwick Junction.
- Route 458 - to Ryde via Rhodes, Concord West, North Strathfield and Strathfield
- Route 461 - to City (Domain) via (Parramatta Road) Petersham and Sydney University
- Route 462 - Between Ashfield Station and Mortlake via Croydon Park, Enfield, Burwood Station, Concord and Cabarita
- Route 463 - to Bayview Park via Burwood Road
- Route 464 - between Mortlake and Ashfield Station via Concord, Burwood Station and Croydon Park
- Route 466 - between Cabarita Park and Ashfield Station via Concord, Burwood Station, Strathfield Station and Croydon Park
- Route 490 - between Drummoyne and Hurstville via Rodd Point, Five Dock, Burwood, Campsie, and Kingsgrove
- Route 492 - between Drummoyne and Rockdale via Five Dock, Burwood Station, Campsie and Kingsgrove
- Route 525 - to Parramatta via Strathfield, Olympic Park, Newington and Victoria Road, Rydalmere
- Route 526 - to Olympic Park Wharf via Strathfield, Olympic Park, Newington and Wentworth Point
- Route M41 - between Hurstville and Marsfield via Campsie, Concord and Ryde
Transdev NSW runs the following routes via Burwood station:
Punchbowl Bus Company runs the following routes via Burwood station:
NightRide runs the following routes via Burwood station:
- Route N50 - between Liverpool and City (Town Hall)
- Route N60 - between Fairfield Station and City (Town Hall)
- Route N61 - between Carlingford Station and City (Town Hall)
- 125 Years of the Sydney to Parramatta Railway Preston R.G. NSW Rail Transport Museum ISBN 0-909862-13-3
- Historical Notes on Main Suburban Line Vol.1 State Rail Authority 1981
- "Burwood Station Easy Access upgrade to commence". CityRail. 4 March 2009. Retrieved 10 March 2009.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Burwood railway station, Sydney.|