From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In North America, a busboy, busgirl, or busser is a person who works in the restaurant and catering industry clearing tables, taking dirty dishes to the dishwasher, setting tables, and otherwise assisting the waiting staff.
Notable former bussers
- Alec Baldwin, actor, was a busboy at Studio 54, a New York City disco.
- Bree Olson, pornographic actress
- Jon Stewart, comedian, and host of The Daily Show worked as a busboy at a Mexican restaurant. Stewart has in fact named his production company Busboy Productions.
- Langston Hughes, writer & poet; dubbed the "busboy poet" by journalists after a famed poet read his work on a restaurant table and decided to publish his first compilation.
- Robert Downey Jr., actor, worked as a busboy at a restaurant in New York City for three years, was "too sweaty" to work as a waiter.
In popular culture
- An early Seinfeld episode entitled "The Busboy" was centered on a busboy who was fired due to George Costanza's accidental actions.
- (2004.) "Busboy". The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition, Houghton Mifflin Company, via Dictionary.com. Retrieved on 2007-09-19.
- "Busgirl". Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1), Random House, Inc., via Dictionary.com. Retrieved on 2007-09-19.
- Schmich, Mary. (2007-08-24.) "Uh, no offense, but do you still say 'busboy'?" Chicago Tribune Web Edition. Retrieved on 2007-09-19.
- Robert Downey Jr. Playboy Interview: December 1997