|• Mayor||Michael Mungeni|
|Elevation||3,870 ft (1,180 m)|
|Population (2011 Estimate)|
Busia is a town in Eastern Uganda. It is the main municipal, administrative and commercial center of Busia District and the district headquarters are located there. The district is named after the town.
Busia is located in Busia District, Eastern Uganda, at the border with the Republic of Kenya. It sits across the International border with Kenya, adjacent to its similarly named town of Busia, Kenya. Busia, Uganda lies approximately 202 kilometres (126 mi), by road, east of Kampala, the capital of Uganda and the largest city in the country. The coordinates of Busia, Uganda are:0°28'01.0"N, 34°05'24.0"E (Latitude:0.466944; Longitude:34.090000).
According to the 2002 national census, the population of Busia, Uganda was about 36,630. In 2010, the Uganda Bureau of Statistics (UBOS), estimated the population of the town at about 45,700. In 2011, UBOS estimated the mid-year population of Busia, Uganda at 47,100.
The town, together with its sister city Busia, Kenya across the border, are busy commercial centers with heavy commercial traffic in both directions. Goods from Uganda include cash crops like coffee, cotton and timber destined for the Kenyan port of Mombasa for export. Foodstuffs like fish, bananas, pineapples and mangoes, maize, beans, groundnuts, sorghum destined for the Kenyan market also come across. In the opposite direction, Uganda imports petroleum products, manufactured goods and household items like cooking oil, soap, clothing, electronics and automobiles.
In 2005, Busia was the busiest border crossing between the two neighboring member countries of the East African Community. The border town of Malaba approximately 46 kilometres (29 mi) to the north, is the second busiest crossing point between Uganda and Kenya, along their common border. See table below:
|Rank||Border Town||Share of Exports||Share of Imports|
|5||Others||15.2 %||13.0 %|
Points of interest
The following points of interest are found in the town or near its orders:
- The headquarters of Busia District Administration
- The offices of Busia (Uganda) Town Council
- Busia (Uganda) Central Market
- Masafu General Hospital – A public hospital, located in the town of Masafu, about 8 kilometres (5.0 mi), by road, south of town.
- A branch of Barclays Bank
- A branch of Equity Bank
- A branch of Finance Trust Bank
- A branch of Global Trust Bank
- A branch of Stanbic Bank
- The International border crossing between Uganda and Kenya
- "Travel Distance Between Kampala And Busia With Map". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 10 May 2014.
- "Location of Busia, Uganda At Google Maps". Google Maps. Retrieved 10 May 2014.
- "Estimated Population of Busia, Uganda In 2002, 2010 & 2011". Uganda Bureau of Statistics. Retrieved 10 May 2014.
- Muwanga, David (10 August 2006). "Busia Leads In Border Trade". New Vision. Retrieved 10 May 2014.