District location in Uganda
|Population (2010 Estimate)|
|Time zone||EAT (UTC+3)|
Busia District borders Tororo District to the north, Busia District, Kenya to the east, the Republic of Tanzania to the south, Namayingo District to the southwest and Bugiri District to the west. Busia, Uganda, where the district headquarters are located, lies approximately 35 kilometres (22 mi), by road, south of Tororo, the nearest large town. This location lies adjacent to the International border between Uganda and Kenya, immediately west of the Kenyan town of Busia, Kenya. The coordinates of the district are:00 23N, 34 00E.
Busia District became operational in 1997. Prior to March 20, 1997, the district was Busia County in Tororo District. The distance from the farthest parts of Busia District to the then district headquarters in Tororo, was one of the persuasive arguments made to justify granting Busia district status. Administratively, the district is divided into three divisions, each division forming a constituency in the Ugandan Parliament, namely:
- Samia Bugwe North
- Busia Municipality
- Samia Bugwe South
During the 2002 national census, the district had a population of estimated at 225,000. The Ugandan annual population growth rate has averaged 3% during the first decade of the 2000s. Given those statistics, it is estimated that the population of Busia District in 2010 was approximately 287,800.
- Ethnic groups
- Bamakoya[Omumakoya Geoffrey radio presenter Eastern voice fm]
- Baholo (mainly in Bumunji)
- Balanda (remember the former DEO Tororo- B.Lumonya Oguli)
- Bakobe(mother of Chief Justice Ben Odoki and maternal grandmother of Dr. Mangeni)
- Notable residents/sons/daughters of the soil
- Benjamin Joseph Odoki - Chief Justice of Uganda
- James Munange Ogoola - Principal Judge of Uganda
- Aggrey Awori Siryoyi - Former Uganda Minister of Information Technology (2009 - 2011)
- Simon Mayende, former minister of state for Higher Education
- Gabriel Opio - Former Minister of Gender, Culture and Labour (2009 - 2011)
- Alikipo Ochunju Ouma-late Judge of the High court and first lawyer from Samia
- Samson Were - First Chief of Samia-Bugwe (Late)
- D. Kwoba-Abungu - Principle Private Secretary to President Obote (Late)
- Lameka Akongo - Diplomatic Mission in Bonn (Late)
- Professor Patrick Mangheni - Renowned Ugandan Mathematician
- Fred Wabwire-Mangen - Professor of Epidemiology, Makerere University School of Public Health
- James Aryada, the first Samia and only Ugandan to ever obtain a first class mathematics degree from Oxford University.-- Born in Hadoda village in Bumunji
- Moses Mapesa Wafula - Former Executive Director, Uganda Wildlife Authority
- John Wejuli Wafula (Late) - Managing Director and CEO, Uganda Clays Limited
- Alex Wejuli (Late) - Former CEO of Nile Breweries, Uganda Grain Milling, Nytil (U) Ltd and Rep. of Busia in the CA (1991)
- Amos Dayan Ngolobe - Deputy Director of Public Prosecutions
- Chango Macho W'Obanda - Former Senior Presidential Adviser, Former National political commissor(NRA),Former minister of lands, Water and natural resources (Late)
- Raphael Bwire Ouma -Long Serving Head Master at Old Kampala SSS, St.Peter's SSS Nsambya and Kalinaabiri and National Footballer
- Philip Were Mangeni - Former Commissioner, Ministry of Finance and aspiring District Chairman
- Dr. George William Nasinyama - Deputy Director, School of Graduate Studies, Makerere University
- Denis Masinde Onyango - Ugandan International Football goalkeeper. Played for Uganda Cranes and plies trade in South Africa
- Polly Ouma - Former Ugandan International Footballer, National Football Team (Crane) Coach
- Charles Wandera Nalyaali - Founder of Uganda Microfinance, now Equity Bank Uganda
- Major General Francis Nyangweso(1939–2011) - Former military officer, champion boxer and member of the International Olympic Committee. Served at one time as Chief of Staff of the Ugandan Armed Forces and Minister of Defense in the 1970s.
- Barbara Oundo Nekesa - Current State Minister for Karamoja Affairs & Busia District Women's Representative in Parliament (2011 - Present).
+ Lots of prominent medical Doctors in Uganda- Dr P Makanga, S.Africa(Dr John Ouma - pediatric neurosurgeon , Dr Oguttu Muruya,,UK( Dr James Wafula bro to Justice Odoki,USA, Canada,Australia --- Come on!!!
- Professor Barnabas Nawangwe of Makerere University -Faculty of Engineering,Deputy VC Makerere University.
- Professor Wandera Nabaho (Late)
- Mr Mumbey Wafula- Diplomatic Mission
- omumakoya geoffrey ojambo --Radio presenter and among the best presenter of mid morning show in Eastern uganda 2011-2012,The coordinator of Eastern fans association and Director of Eastern Development Association.
- Busia County
- Busia, Uganda
- Busia, Kenya
- Benjamin Joseph Odoki
- James Munange Ogoola
- Aggrey Awori
- Eastern Region, Uganda
- Districts of Uganda