|Busitema University (BU)|
|Chancellor||Prof. Francis G. Omaswa, MBChB, MMed, FRCS|
|Vice-Chancellor||Prof. Mary Jossy Nakhanda Okwakol|
|Admin. staff||20+ (2009)|
Busitema University (BU), is a university in Uganda. It is one of the eight public universities and degree-awarding institutions in the country. The list includes the following (with date of founding): 1. Makerere University (1924)
2. Uganda Management Institute (1968)
3. Mbarara University (1989) 4. Kyambogo University (2003) 5. Gulu University (2004)
6. Busitema University (2007) 7. Kigumba Petroleum Institute (2009) and 8. Muni University (2012). Busitema University has as its focus, the instruction of agricultural sciences, agricultural mechanization and agribusiness.
Busitema University has its main campus in Busitema, Busia District on the Jinja - Tororo Highway, about 30 kilometres (19 mi), by road, southwest of Tororo. This location lies approximately 206 kilometres (128 mi), by road, east of Kampala, Uganda's capital and largest city. The coordinates of the university's main campus are:0°32'42.0"N, 34°01'30.0"E (Latitude:0.5450; Longitude:34.0250).
The campuses of Busitema University include the following:
- Busitema campus in Busia District - Faculty of Engineering (Main Campus) - 1,300 acres (530 ha)
- Jinja campus - Non-operative - 9 acres (3.6 ha)
- Nagongera campus in Tororo District - Faculty of Science and Education - 850 acres (340 ha)
- Mbale campus in Mbale District - Faculty of Health Sciences - 30 acres (12 ha)
- Kaliro campus in Kaliro District - Non-operative - 198 acres (80 ha)
- Pallisa campus in Pallisa District - Non-operative - 350 acres (140 ha)
- Arapai campus in Soroti District - Faculty of Agriculture and Animal Sciences - 675 acres (273 ha)
- Namasagali campus in Kamuli District - Faculty of Natural Resources - 0 acres (0 ha)
Busitema University was founded in 1968, with the assistance of the Soviet Union, as a government agricultural institute: Busitema National College of Agricultural Mechanization. In 2007, the college was elevated to university status, offering certificate, diploma and degree courses.
- Undergraduate Degree courses
- Faculty of Science and Education
- Faculty of Agriculture and Animal Sciences
- Bachelor of Animal Production and Management - 4 years - Arapai campus
- Faculty of Engineering
- Bachelor of Science in Agricultural Mechanization & Irrigation Engineering - 4 years - Busitema campus
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Engineering - 4 years - Busitema campus
- Bachelor of Science in Textile Engineering - 4 years - Busitema campus
- Bachelor of Science in Mining Engineering - 4 years - Busitema campus
- Faculty of Natural Resources
- Faculty of Health Sciences
- Undergraduate Diploma courses
- Diploma in Agricultural Engineering - 2 years - Busitema campus
- Diploma in Ginning Engineering - 2 years - Busitema campus
- Diploma in Animal Production and Management - 2 years - Arapai campus
- Diploma in Crop Production and Management - 2 years - Arapai campus
- Undergraduate Certificate courses
- Certificate in Agricultural Sciences - 1 year - Arapai campus
- Postgraduate courses
The university does not yet offer post graduate programs.
- "About Busitema University". Busitema University. Retrieved 10 June 2014.
- "Distance Between Busitema And Tororo With Map". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 10 June 2014.
- "Map Showing Kampala And Busitema With Distance Marker". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 10 June 2014.
- Google, . "Location of Busitema University Main Campus At Google Maps". Google Maps. Retrieved 10 June 2014.
- "Welcome to the Faculty of Science and Education based at Nagongera Campus of Busitema University". Busitema University. Retrieved 10 June 2014.
- Musasizi, Simon (2 May 2010). "Busitema Opens Namasagali, Arapai Campuses". The Observer (Uganda). Retrieved 10 June 2014.
- Anguyo, Innocent (5 June 2014). "Busitema University Calls for Private Admissions". New Vision. Retrieved 10 June 2014.
- "Busitema University: Academic Programmes". Busitema University. Retrieved 10 June 2014.
- Odeke, Faustine (22 June 2009). "Busitema Varsity Starts Textile Engineering Degree". New Vision. Retrieved 10 June 2014.
- Odeke, Faustine (10 September 2012). "Busitema University Starts Mining Degree". New Vision. Retrieved 10 June 2014.
- Mugisa, Anne (7 August 2013). "Uganda: Busitema University to Get Medical School". New Vision via Allfrica.com. Retrieved 10 July 2014.
- Emojong, John Augustine (16 October 2011). "Busitema Gears for Shs1.2 Billion Medical School". Daily Monitor Mobile. Retrieved 10 June 2014.