||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2008)|
Busy Signal (Chiemsee Reggae Summer 2013)
|Birth name||Glendale Goshia Gordon|
|Also known as||
Reanno Devon Gordon,
|Born||24 January 1979|
|Origin||Saint Ann Parish, Jamaica|
|Genres||Reggae, dancehall, reggae fusion, ragga-soca|
|Occupations||Musician, songwriter, deejay, producer|
|Years active||early 2000s–present|
|Labels||VP Records, Juke Boxx|
Gordon was born in Saint Ann Parish, living in areas in West and East Kingston such as Tivoli Gardens, Papine, and Spanish Town. He is a past student of Brown's Town Comprehensive High School. Known as one of the artists leading the contemporary dancehall movement, Busy Signal has been a large part of the scene since 2003. His first hit single, "Step Out", was one of the most popular dancehall songs in 2005. A music video for "Step Out" was released shortly afterwards.
He was nicknamed Busy Signal by his friends because of the fact that he is constantly busy. His hit tracks for 2007/2008 were "Nah Go A Jail Again", "Smoke Some High Grade", "Tic Toc" and the track entitled "Unknown Number" has made tremendous airplay and dancehall reviews especially in the Caribbean and the US. He has released a hit dancehall album entitled Step Out.
On 22 September 2008, Busy Signal released his second studio album titled Loaded, a 15 track compilation on VP Records of well known dancehall hits such as "Jail", "Whine Pon Di Edge", "These Are the Days", among others, as well as never-heard-before exclusive tracks such as "People So Evil" and "Hustle Hard".
The artist announced the introduction of a self-styled clothing line in 2011.
On 21 May 2012, Gordon was arrested at the Norman Manley International Airport in Jamaica due to an extradition warrant from the United States. He was extradited to the US on 19 June where he faced cocaine-related charges. In September 2012 he received a six month prison sentence. He was released in November, and promptly released the single "Come Shock Out". BBC Music ranked Reggae Music Again #7 on their Top 25 Albums of 2012 listing.
Busy Signal appears on the No Doubt album, Push and Shove, collaborating with the band and the production team Major Lazer on the title track. He also appears on Major Lazer's second album Free the Universe, in the track "Watch Out For This (Bumaye)", which was a hit single in several European countries.
- 2003: "Step Out"
- 2008: "Tic Toc"
- 2012: "Come Shock Out"
- 2013: "Why I sing"
- Featured in
|Year||Title||Peak chart positions||Album|
|2013||"Watch Out For This (Bumaye)"
(Major Lazer featuring Busy Signal, The Flexican & FS Green)
|40||5||8||14||4||7||45||23||Major Lazer album
Free the Universe
- Meschino, Patricia (May 22, 2012). "Jamaican Artist Busy Signal, With Top 10 Album on Reggae Charts, Arrested on Extradition Warrant". Billboard. Retrieved May 29, 2012.)
- Johnson, Carolyn (2006) "A Very Busy Childhood", Jamaica Star, 21 January 2006, retrieved 2012-07-01
- ‘Busy’ takes his talents to the T-shirt rack. Nation News (Barbados). March 25, 2011.
- Busy signal arrested on extradition warrant. Jamaica Gleaner. May 21, 2012.
- Campbell, Howard (2012) "Sales get Busy", Jamaica Observer, 27 June 2012, retrieved 2012-07-01
- Henry, Paul (2012) "Busy gets six-month sentence", Jamaica Observer, 21 September 2012, retrieved 22 September 2012
- Morgan, Simone (2012) "‘Nah go a jail again’", Jamaica Observer, 25 November 2012. Retrieved 25 November 2012
- Jackson, Kevin (2012) "Busy Signal 'shocks' out", Jamaica Observer, 23 November 2012. Retrieved 25 November 2012
- "BBC Music's Top 25 Albums of 2012". BBC Music. bbc.co.uk. 6 December 2012. Retrieved 16 December 2012.
- Busy Signal will appear on No Doubt song "Push and Shove". Official No Doubt Website. May 8, 2012.
- Jackson, Kevin (2013) "Watch out for Busy Signal", Jamaica Observer, 21 July 2013. Retrieved 10 August 2013
- "Busy Signal - Austrian Charts". austriancharts.at/ Hung Medien.
- "Busy Signal - Belgian Charts (Vlanders)". ultratop.be/nl/ Hung Medien.
- "Busy Signal - Belgian Charts (Wallonia)". ultratop.be/fr/ Hung Medien.
- "Major Lazer - Danish Charts". danishcharts.com/ Hung Medien.
- "Busy Signal - French Charts". lescharts.com/ Hung Medien.
- "Major Lazer - Swedish Charts". swedishcharts.com/ Hung Medien.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Busy Signal.|