Placement on map is approximate.
|Elevation||640 m (2,100 ft)|
|Time zone||EAT (UTC+3)|
Butiaba, sometimes spelled as Butyaba, is a town in Western Uganda.
Butiaba is situated on the eastern shores of Lake Albert, in Masindi District. It is located approximately 57 kilometres (35 mi), by road, west of the district headquarters at Masindi. This location is approximately 270 kilometres (170 mi), by road, northwest of Kampala, Uganda's capital and largest city. The coordinates of Butiaba are:1°49'08.0"N, 31°19'33.0"E (Latitude:1.818889; Longitude:31.325833).
During the first half of the 20th century, Butiaba was an important transportation hub, where merchandise from eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo and from South Sudan was transported by boat across Lake Albert to Butiaba Harbour. At Butiaba, merchandise was transported overland, through Masindi to Masindi Port. At Masindi Port, the produce would be loaded on barges, ferried across Lake Kyoga to Soroti. At Soroti, it would be loaded on to railway wagons for transportation by rail to Mombasa, Kenya, on the Indian Ocean, for export. Imported goods and merchandise were transported along the same route, in reverse.
When the East African Railways Corporation was dissolved in the 1970s, Butiaba's prominence declined and the harbour remained dormant until now. Recently, a significant amount of petroleum deposits have been discovered in the ground and under the lake near Butiaba. There are considerations to revive Butiaba Harbour, to play a role in the transportation of equipment, manpower and petroleum, as Uganda develops her nascent oil industry.
As of July 2014, the exact population of Butiaba is not known. The national population census in Uganda took place in August 2014 but results are yet to come out.
Points of interest
The following points of interest lie within the town limits or close to the edges of town:
- Butiaba Port - During the first half of the 20th century, was a principle route of export for produce from eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo and South Sudan
- Lake Albert - One of the lakes in the Western Rift Valley; the International border between DRC and Uganda runs through it.
- "Road Distance Between Masindi and Butiaba with Map". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 17 July 2014.
- "Map Showing Kampala And Butiaba With Distance Indicator". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 17 July 2014.
- Google, . "Location of Butiaba At Google Maps". Google Maps. Retrieved 17 July 2014.
- Bagala, Andrew (22 April 2008). "Butiaba Port To Be Redeveloped As Route For Oil Transportation". Daily Monitor via AllAfrica.com. Retrieved 18 July 2014.
- Kasita, Ibrahim (27 January 2010). "Uganda Starts Oil Production This Year". New Vision. Retrieved 18 July 2014.
- Ninsiima, Racheal (14 July 2013). "Uganda Census Planned for 2014". The Observer (Uganda). Retrieved 18 July 2014.