Butler University Police Department
|Butler University Police Department|
|Formed||1991 (became a full police department)|
|Legal personality||Governmental: Government agency|
|Operations jurisdiction*||State of Indiana, United States|
|Population||4,000 on campus and 700 in the town of Rocky Ripple, plus the Butler-Tarkington neighborhood|
|Legal jurisdiction||State of Indiana|
|Governing body||Butler University|
|Headquarters||525 W. Hamtpon Dr. Indianapolis, Indiana, USA|
|Civilian employees||7 (3 Dispatchers, 2 parking services, 2 environmental)|
|Agency executive||Benjamin Hunter, Chief of Police|
|Parent agency||Department of Public Safety|
|BUPD's official site|
|* Divisional agency: Division of the country, over which the agency has usual operational jurisdiction.|
The Butler University Police Department (BUPD) is the primary law enforcement entity for the campus of Butler University in Indianapolis, Indiana, as well as the town of Rocky Ripple and the Butler-Tarkington neighborhood in Indianapolis. The current chief is Benjamin Hunter.
BUPD has three types of patrols. Vehicle patrols are in one of six police vehicles including four Crown Victorias (two of which are slicktops), an Explorer and a Tahoe. As of April 2010, the Tahoe is an unmarked police vehicle. Also, BUPD has two Segways that have police shields and lights on them. The third type of patrol is bicycle patrol.
Officer James L. Davis Jr.
On September 24, 2004, Officer James L. Davis Jr was dispatched to a suspicious person report at Hinkle Fieldhouse. After confronting the suspect, Officer Davis was attacked and shot with his own service weapon. This caused the campus to go into lockdown and warranted a response by Indianapolis Police, and the Marion County Sheriffs Department. The suspect was located in the 4400 block of N. Illinois Street hours later and shot and killed after firing on two Marion County Sheriff's deputies. Officer Davis was BUPD's first and only line-of-duty death.
Butler University Police Department has 17 ILEA Certified Police Officers including the Chief of Police and Assistant Chief. BUPD also employs four communications officers at the 24 hour dispatch center, a Security Officer and a Parking Enforcement Officer.
- "About BUPD". butler.edu. Retrieved September 18, 2010.
- "Patrols". butler.edu. Retrieved September 18, 2010.
- "Police Officer James L. Davis Jr.". The Officer Down Memorial Page. Retrieved September 18, 2010.
- "Butler University Police Officer Shot, killed". officer.com. Retrieved September 18, 2010.
- "Butler University Police Department, Indiana Fallen Officers". The Officer Down Memorial Page. Retrieved September 18, 2010.
- "Officer James L. Davis, Jr. Memorial". butler.edu. Retrieved September 18, 2010.
- "Personnel Contacts for Public Safety". butler.edu. Retrieved September 18, 2010.