Butte County, South Dakota
|Butte County, South Dakota|
Location in the state of South Dakota
South Dakota's location in the U.S.
|Largest city||Belle Fourche|
|• Total||2,266 sq mi (5,870 km2)|
|• Land||2,249 sq mi (5,824 km2)|
|• Water||18 sq mi (46 km2), 0.79%|
|• Density||4/sq mi (2/km²)|
|Time zone||Mountain: UTC-7/-6|
Butte County is a county located in the U.S. state of South Dakota. As of the 2010 census, the population was 10,110. Its county seat is Belle Fourche. The county was established in the Dakota Territory in on March 2, 1883, and given the descriptive name based on the French word for a hill.
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 2,266.4 square miles (5,869.9 km2), of which 2,249.9 square miles (5,827.2 km2) is land and 16.5 square miles (42.7 km2) (0.79%) is water.
- Harding County, South Dakota - north
- Perkins County, South Dakota - northeast
- Meade County, South Dakota - southeast
- Lawrence County, South Dakota - southwest
- Crook County, Wyoming - west
- Carter County, Montana - northwest
As of the census of 2000, there were 9,094 people, 3,516 households, and 2,468 families residing in the county. The population density was 4 people per square mile (2/km²). There were 4,059 housing units at an average density of 2 per square mile (1/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 95.52% White, 0.10% Black or African American, 1.65% Native American, 0.24% Asian, 1.09% from other races, and 1.40% from two or more races. 2.93% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race. 37.3% were of German, 10.0% Norwegian, 8.2% United States or American, 7.8% Irish and 7.7% English ancestry.
There were 3,516 households out of which 35.00% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 57.40% were married couples living together, 9.00% had a female householder with no husband present, and 29.80% were non-families. 25.60% of all households were made up of individuals and 11.90% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.55 and the average family size was 3.07.
In the county, the population was spread out with 28.30% under the age of 18, 7.20% from 18 to 24, 26.00% from 25 to 44, 23.40% from 45 to 64, and 15.20% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38 years. For every 100 females there were 96.90 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 93.20 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $29,040, and the median income for a family was $34,173. Males had a median income of $26,769 versus $15,758 for females. The per capita income for the county was $13,997. About 9.40% of families and 12.80% of the population were below the poverty line, including 17.40% of those under age 18 and 11.80% of those age 65 or over.
Cities and towns
- Belle Fourche (Population:5,594)
- Fruitdale (Population:64)
- Newell (Population:603)
- Nisland (Population:232)
- "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved November 26, 2013.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- Joseph Nathan Kane, The American Counties (4th Ed.), (The Scarecrow Press, 1983), pp68, 479
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "U.S. Decennial Census". Census.gov. Retrieved November 26, 2013.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2011-05-14.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Butte County, South Dakota.|
||Carter County, Montana||Harding County||Perkins County|
|Crook County, Wyoming|
|Lawrence County||Meade County|