|Industry||Bitcoin marketplace and transfer|
|Founders||Cedric Dahl, Bennett Hoffman|
|Headquarters||Palo Alto, California, U.S.|
|Number of locations||1 office|
|Key people||Cedric Dahl (CEO)
Bennett Hoffman (CTO)
Kevin Zhou (Head Economist)
Kevin Adams (Lead Developer)
|Services||Bitcoin marketplace software in partnership with local businesses|
|Total assets||~$1.6 million (2013)|
Buttercoin is a private American start-up company that provides Bitcoin trading services to other companies. Specifically, Buttercoin develops a white-labeled trading platform for creating local Bitcoin marketplaces, which provides a source of liquidity for Bitcoin enterprises.
The founders Cedric Dahl and Bennett Hoffman have previously built a hacker house in Austin, Texas, sold an analytics company, and filmed a Parkour documentary. Previously employed by Microsoft, Dahl worked on applying analytics to marketing and managed a $120 million budget. Together, Dahl and Hoffman initially started a Bitcoin mining operation called CoinHarvest, and subsequently moved on to developing Buttercoin. Kevin Zhou previously worked as economist at Standard & Poor's.
Y Combinator, Google Ventures (Kevin Rose and Chris Hutchins), Floodate, Initialized Capital, Rothenberg Ventures, and Reddit co-founder Alexis Ohanian invested approximately $1 million into Buttercoin. A Swiss company, Centralway Ventures, invested an additional $250,000 into Buttercoin. Combined with other sources, Buttercoin raised a total of $1.6 million as of September 2013.
- Cutler, Kim-Mai (August 20, 2013). "YC-Backed Buttercoin Uses Bitcoin To Attack The $500B-A-Year Remittances Economy". TechCrunch. Retrieved November 30, 2013.
- Reutzel, Bailey (September 9, 2013). "Buttercoin Takes a Different Path to Handling Virtual Currency". PaymentsSource. Retrieved November 30, 2013.
- Lomas, Natasha (September 18, 2013). "Swiss Company-Builder Centralway Opens $50M Fund, Invests $250k In Bitcoin Whitelabel Exchange Buttercoin". TechCrunch. Retrieved December 1, 2013.
- Kolodny, Lora (August 19, 2013). "International Bitcoin Exchange Buttercoin Raises $1M to Revamp Remittance". VentureWire. Retrieved November 30, 2013. (subscription required (. ))
- Buttercoin Official website