|Motto: "Home Of The Butterfield Steam And Gas Engine Show"|
Location of Butterfield, Minnesota
|• Type||Mayor – Council|
|• Mayor||Larry Simenson|
|• Total||0.45 sq mi (1.17 km2)|
|• Land||0.45 sq mi (1.17 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||1,188 ft (362 m)|
|• Estimate (2012)||582|
|• Density||1,302.2/sq mi (502.8/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||0640702|
As of the census of 2010, there were 586 people, 220 households, and 149 families residing in the city. The population density was 1,302.2 inhabitants per square mile (502.8/km2). There were 238 housing units at an average density of 528.9 per square mile (204.2/km2). The racial makeup of the city was 72.7% White, 0.9% African American, 0.2% Native American, 7.3% Asian, 0.3% Pacific Islander, 17.1% from other races, and 1.5% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 25.6% of the population.
There were 220 households of which 31.8% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 53.6% were married couples living together, 8.2% had a female householder with no husband present, 5.9% had a male householder with no wife present, and 32.3% were non-families. 28.2% of all households were made up of individuals and 10.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.66 and the average family size was 3.21.
The median age in the city was 35 years. 24.1% of residents were under the age of 18; 12% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 22.9% were from 25 to 44; 24.3% were from 45 to 64; and 16.7% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the city was 50.7% male and 49.3% female.
As of the census of 2000, there were 564 people, 232 households, and 152 families residing in the city. The population density was 1,289.9 people per square mile (494.9/km²). There were 235 housing units at an average density of 537.5 per square mile (206.2/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 86.17% White, 7.27% Asian, 5.32% from other races, and 1.24% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 15.07% of the population.
There were 232 households out of which 28.4% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 55.6% were married couples living together, 6.0% had a female householder with no husband present, and 34.1% were non-families. 30.6% of all households were made up of individuals and 16.4% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.43 and the average family size was 3.03.
In the city the population was spread out with 24.5% under the age of 18, 10.5% from 18 to 24, 22.9% from 25 to 44, 23.6% from 45 to 64, and 18.6% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 40 years. For every 100 females there were 103.6 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 102.9 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $29,904, and the median income for a family was $38,482. Males had a median income of $27,212 versus $17,813 for females. The per capita income for the city was $15,177. About 6.1% of families and 8.6% of the population were below the poverty line, including 8.1% of those under age 18 and 11.2% of those age 65 or over.
Arts and culture
Annual cultural events
The Butterfield Threshing Bee is held annually in August. The event made its debut in 1967 as the Butterfield Steam & Gas Engine Show.
Minnesota State Highway 60 serves as a main route in the community.
- "City of Butterfield Minnesota". City of Butterfield Minnesota. Retrieved October 4, 2012.
- "US Gazetteer files 2010". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-11-13.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-11-13.
- "Population Estimates". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2013-05-28.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "2010 Census Redistricting Data (Public Law 94-171) Summary File". American FactFinder. United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 27 April 2011.
- Chicago and North Western Railway Company (1908). A History of the Origin of the Place Names Connected with the Chicago & North Western and Chicago, St. Paul, Minneapolis & Omaha Railways. p. 50.
- "Profile for Butterfield, Minnesota, MN". ePodunk. Retrieved October 4, 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Butterfield, Minnesota.|