|Elevation||3,540 ft (1,080 m)|
|Population (2011 Estimate)|
Buwenge is situated on the main highway between Jinja and Kamuli. It is bordered by Luzinga to the northeast, Butamira to the southeast, Mabira to the south, Mawoto to the west and Kiroro to the north. The town is located approximately 30 kilometres (19 mi), by road, north of Jinja, the largest city in Busoga sub-region. This location lies approximately 96 kilometres (60 mi), by road, northeast of Kampala, the capital of Uganda, and the largest city in the country. The coordinates of the town are:00 39 00N, 33 10 16E (Latitude:0.6500; Longitude:33.1710).
In 2002, the national census estimated the population of the town at about 14,500. In 2010, the Uganda Bureau of Statistics (UBOS), estimated the population of Buwenge at approximately 17,800. In 2011, UBOS estimated the mid-year population of Buwenge at 18,200.
The landmarks within the town limits or close to the edges of the town include:
- The headquarters of Jinja District Administration
- The offices of Buwenge Town Council
- A branch of Pride Microfinance Limited
- Buwenge General Hospital - A 200 bed public hospital administered by the Uganda Ministry of Health (Under construction)
- Buwenge Central Market
- The Jinja-Kamuli Highway - The highway passes through the middle of town in a north to south direction.