SpinMedia (formerly Buzznet and Buzz Media) is a company and blog network based in Los Angeles. It owns a community of pop culture websites (with over 40 million unique monthly visitors), including Buzznet, Idolator, and Stereogum.
Buzz Media was founded by Anthony Batt (CEO), Marc Brown, Kevin Woolery, and Steve Haldane under the name Buzznet. Batt and Brown started a blog in 1999, and by 2006 Buzznet had a total of nine people in the Los Angeles, California area. The Buzz media name was created as the company started to acquire more pop-culture and music blogs.
The company announced on March 19, 2009 it raised US$12.5 million in funding from venture capitalists that include companies that had already invested in the company, such as Anthem Ventures, New Enterprise Associates, Redpoint Ventures, and Sutter Hill Ventures, as well as new investor Focus Ventures.
It acquired Spin Media, publisher of Spin magazine in July 2012. After shutting down the print version of the magazine, reducing its staff to about 200, and focusing on advertising, it rebranded itself as SpinMedia in March 2013. At that time, Steve Hansen became its chief executive. In April 2013 it acquired Vibe magazine.
SpinMedia operates over 40 pop culture related websites, some of which it owns. Some are partners sites for which it sells advertisements.
- Music
- Alter The Press!
- Brooklyn Vegan
- Concrete Loop
- Direct Lyrics (dl)
- Gorilla vs. Bear
- Hype Machine
- Indie Shuffle
- Pretty Much Amazing
- RCRD LBL
- Under The Gun Review
- Entertainment News
- Egotastic[improper synthesis?]
- The Frisky
- Go Fug Yourself
- Just Jared
- Just Jared Jr.
- Oh No They Didn't
- Pink is the New Blog
- Socialite Life
- The Superficial
- What Would Tyler Durden Do?
- Talent Sites
The official websites for:
- Khloé Kardashian
- Kim Kardashian
- Kourtney Kardashian
- Kerli Kõiv
- Lindsay Lohan
- Whitney Port
- Nicole Richie
- Britney Spears
- Kendra Wilkinson
- Branded Social Programming
- "Buzzmedia Rebrands Itself SpinMedia". Billboard (Prometheus Global Media). March 25, 2013. Retrieved October 23, 2013.
- Ben Kuo (May 10, 2006). "Interview with Anthony Batt, Co-Founder, Buzznet". SoCal Tech" High Tech News and Information for Southern California. Retrieved October 23, 2013.
- Rivera, Dominic (2009-03-20). "Buzznet becomes Buzz Media; Raises $12.5 million new funding". Blog Herald. Retrieved 2010-04-07.
- Maher, Rory (2009-03-19). "Buzznet Raises $12.5 Million; Changes Name To Buzz Media". paidContent. Retrieved 2010-04-07.
- "BUZZMEDIA Buys Spin". SoCal Tech" High Tech News and Information for Southern California. July 10, 2012. Retrieved October 23, 2013.
- "Vibe Magazine Purchased by SpinMedia, Will Probably Go Online-Only". Billboard. April 25, 2013. Retrieved October 23, 2013.
- Ben Sisario (April 25, 2013). "Vibe Magazine Is Sold and Likely to Become Online Only". The New York Times. Retrieved October 23, 2013.
- "Egotastic". TradeMarkia.com. Retrieved 2011-03-18.
- The listed contact (Mitchell E. Radin) is a property rights lawyer, and therefore likely the blog's legal representative, not its writer."Mitchell E. Radin". Cowan DeBaets Abrahams & Sheppard LLP. Retrieved 2011-03-18.
|This United States corporation or company article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This website-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|