BView is a platform for businesses to connect locally with their customers built around a local voucher search application. The site combines a voucher search engine, business directory, social networking and user generated content (descriptions, reviews, photos, videos).
Links to the company Web site and the associated www.localsalefinder.co.uk/ have, according to the Wayback Machine, been dead since 2012.
Voucher search engine
BView provides local and national businesses with a means to target and create rewarding relationships with their local consumers through money saving and dynamic advertising features across their network.
Through a series of partnerships, BView is integrating the preponderance of all UK vouchers, with an emphasis on local vouchers. BView partners with The Independent, Telegraph, The Daily Express, The Daily Star, OK! Magazine, New Magazine, Star Magazine, Moneywise, Money Divas, also Ask Jeeves and Google.
There are now over 40,000 locations across the UK offering local vouchers on the BView web application.
Voucher search iPhone application
In 2009 Bview launched an iPhone application, called Local Sale Finder. The app instantly delivers vouchers and discounts from local merchants and restaurants direct to consumers’ iPhone and iPod Touch. Consumers can find thousands of discounts where they are or heading to. Discounts are redeemed by showing digital vouchers on the screen to local merchants or by booking tables for restaurants directly from their iPhones or iPod Touches.
In November 2009 The Guardian named Local Sale Finder as one of the top 10 money saving iPhone applications.
Lovemoney.com named Local Sale Finder as one of the top 3 free apps which can save you money.
Local Sale Finder also became one of the top ten free Finance section applications on Apple’s App Store.
Users of BView can search for businesses from a data base of 2.3 million businesses in 1,800 categories. Users can add text reviews, ratings and media (photos, videos) and additional tiers of information (e.g. opening hours) on each business in the directory. Ratings of each business are captured across 3 different scales: quality, reliability and value.
Each BView registered member has a series of profile pages detailing their reviews and activity on the site.
BView Users can use the following site functionality:
- By category A search for vouchers in certain category (e.g. restaurants, hotels, travelling, health and beauty.).
- By location A search for vouchers in certain area in the UK.
- By company name A search for vouchers of a certain company (local, national, online)
- By category A search for businesses in certain category (e.g. solicitors, plumbers).
- By location A search for businesses in certain area in the UK.
- By company name A search for a certain company (local, national, online)
2. Voucher categories
Discounts are also categorized according to their popularity, time of addition to Bview network, merchants - national or local:
- Local vouchers
- Popular vouchers
- Featured vouchers
- Recent vouchers
- Featured Brands
3. Voucher redeem
Discount maybe redeemed in several ways by Bview customers:
- print discounts found on Bview or Local Sale Finder sites and bring vouchers to merchants;
- book a table via Bview or Local Sale Finder site in a catering outlet;
- use digital vouchers while showing discounts found on Bview or Local Sale Finder site on their mobile screens;
- find discount on Local Sale Finder iPhone app and show discounts to local merchants on their iPhones or iPod Touches or book a table in the catering outlet;
- use digital voucher codes for online shopping;
4. Business reviews
- Title A summary title of the review.
- Pros A description of pros of dealing with the business.
- Cons A description of cons of dealing with the business i.e. detail on what the business could do better.
- Quality A measure of how good was the product or service was.
- Reliability A measure of how well the business delivered what was expected.
- Value A measure of how good the quality compared to price.
- Recommendation Indication of whether the User would deal with the business again i.e. would they recommend them or not.
- Photographs Photographs that support or illustrate the review being given.
5. Business data additions
- Videos (Embedded from YouTube)
- Description An in depth review of the business and the service they offer.
- Opening times Details of when the business is open.
- Payment methods Details of the types of payment accepted
- Employee profiles
6. Activity feeds
- Reviews Updates on all reviews written by other Users that are being followed.
- Messaging Updates on User communication.
In addition to following other users with whom they share interests, BView Users can also choose to follow businesses listed on the site.
BView was founded in 2007 and was incubated within Xbridge. The site went live in a Beta phase in March 2008 and was launched in April 2008 and first profiled by Techcrunch UK in May 2007. In July 2008 TrustedPlaces and BView announced a sales partnership to offer a joint product to business owners.
BView is led by Brad Liebmann. Liebmann was the founder of Xbridge, Europe's largest online small business insurer, after leaving Lehmann Brothers where he was VP of acquisitions and mergers in the IT sector. Liebmann co-founded the business with Colin Bruce, also of Xbridge, and Adam Baker who was Managing Director of Catering Pages prior to selling the business.
The company was bought out of Xbridge by the management. BView is currently privately funded.
References and notes
- BView mashes up Yelp, Yell and Facebook to keep businesses honest. Techcrunch UK.
- Business Catalysts: Bview Ltd. Growing Business.
- Bview gives companies honest customer ratings Recruiter.
- Ten of the best … money-saving iPhone apps The Guardian.
- Make money from your mobile phone! Lovemoney.com.
- Voucher search engine powered by BView The Independent.
- The Independent launches online voucher search service Brand Republic.
- Independent.co.uk launches new voucher channel MarketingUK.co.uk
- Cool tools to save you money Virgin Media.