Byington Vineyard & Winery is a 95 acres (0.38 km2) vineyard and winery in the Santa Cruz Mountains AVA above Silicon Valley in California as well as 234 acres (0.95 km2) of vineyard near Paso Robles, California.
In 1958, Bill and Mary Byington, purchased 95 acres (0.38 km2) surrounded by redwood forests as a family retreat. In the early 1970s, a well-known Santa Cruz Mountains winemaker approached the family, wanting to lease a portion of their land for vineyards. Almost 20 years after leaving his family farm in Idaho, Bill planted nine acres (36,000 m²) of Pinot Noir on the southernmost tip of the rugged Santa Cruz Mountains terrain. Byington Vineyard & Winery was established with its vintage 1987 release.
Don Blackburn was Byington's winemaker until 2002. He passed away in 2009 while working for Emeritus Vineyards in Sebastopol, CA.
In 2013, the Byingtons sold the winery to the Madsens, who will continue employing Andrew Brenkwitz as the current winemaker.
Byington crafts elegant and distinctive Santa Cruz Mountain appellation Pinot Noir, Chardonnay and Cabernet Sauvignon. Production also includes varietals from the best of California's wine growing regions including the Napa Valley, Sonoma, Santa Barbara and San Luis Obispo Counties.
- Ostrom, Mary Anne (2006-08-24). "Dean Byington, businessman and prankster". San Jose Mercury News. pp. 10B. Retrieved 2007-10-05.
- Mead, Jerry D. (1990-07-18). "New Santa Cruz winery caters to the crowds". Daily Breeze. pp. F6. Retrieved 2007-10-05.
- Weed, Augustus (2009-05-06). "California Winemaker Don Blackburn Dies". Wine Spectator. Retrieved 2013-09-04.
- Daley, Bill (2003-09-04). "Enticements aplenty at Byington". San Francisco Chronicle. pp. D5. Retrieved 2007-10-05.
- Daniel, Laurie (1999-01-13). "Tending the family vineyard: the Byingtons strive to upgrade their operation in the Santa Cruz mountains". San Jose Mercury News. pp. 5F. Retrieved 2007-10-05.
- Beck, David L. (1990-05-23). "Byington Winery readies for opening". San Jose Mercury News. pp. 7E. Retrieved 2007-10-05.
- Raper, Jim (1995-10-08). "Byington Winery, new to the East, is worth tasting". The Virginian-Pilot. pp. F3. Retrieved 2007-10-05.