From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Last appearance||Bishupal Bodh|
|Created by||Sharadindu Bandyopadhyay|
|Portrayed by||Uttam Kumar
Sushant Singh Rajput
Byomkesh Bakshi (or Byomkesh Baksi) (Bengali: ব্যোমকেশ বক্সী) is a fictional detective in Bengali literature created by Sharadindu Bandyopadhyay. Bandyopadhyay was deeply influenced by Sherlock Holmes of Arthur Conan Doyle,
- Satyanveshi (1932) সত্যান্বেষী
- Pother Kanta (1932) পথের কাঁটা
- Seemanto-heera (1932) সীমন্ত-হীরা
- Makorshar Rosh (1933) মাকড়সার রস
- Arthamanartham (1933) অর্থমনর্থম্
- Chorabali (1933) চোরাবালি
- Agnibaan (1935) অগ্নিবাণ
- Uposonghaar (1935) উপসংহার
- Roktomukhi Neela (1936) রক্তমুখী নীলা
- Byomkesh O Boroda (1936) ব্যোমকেশ ও বরদা
- Chitrochor (1951) চিত্রচোর
- Durgo-rahasyo (1952) দুর্গরহস্য
- Chiriyakhana (1953) চিড়িয়াখানা
- Adim Ripu (1955) আদিম রিপু
- Banhi-patanga (1956) বহ্নি-পতঙ্গ
- Rokter Daag (1956) রক্তের দাগ
- Monimondon (1958) মণিমন্ডন
- Amriter Mrityu (1959) অমৃতের মৃত্যু
- Shailo Rahasya (1959) শৈলরহস্য
- Achin Pakhi (1960) অচিন পাখি
- Kohen Kobi Kalidas (1961) কহেন কবি কালিদাস
- Adrishyo Trikon (1961) অদৃশ্য ত্রিকোণ
- Khunji Khunji Nari (1961) খুঁজি খুঁজি নারি
- Adwitiyo (1961) অদ্বিতীয়
- Mognomoinak (1963) মগ্নমৈনাক
- Dushtochokro (1963) দুষ্টচক্র
- Henyalir Chhondo (1964) হেঁয়ালির ছন্দ
- Room Nombor Dui (1964) রুম নম্বর দুই
- Chholonar Chhondo (1965) ছলনার ছন্দ
- Shojarur Kanta (1967) শজারুর কাঁটা
- Benishonghar (1968) বেণীসংহার
- Lohar Biskut (1969) লোহার বিস্কুট
- Bishupal Bodh (incomplete) (1970) বিশুপাল বধ (অসমাপ্ত)
In other media
Main article: Byomkesh Bakshi in other media
- Chiriyakhana (1967)  directed by Satyajit Ray and produced by Harendranath Bhattacharjya of Star Productions was the first screen adaptation of the sleuth's cases. Uttam Kumar had played the role of Byomkesh Bakshi while Shailen Mukherjee played the character of Ajit. The film boasted an ensemble cast of contemporary actors. Uttam Kumar, playing Bakshi, and director Satyajit Ray won a National Award.
- Shajarur Kanta (1974) directed by actress-turned-director Manju Dey and produced by Star Productions was the second film of the Bakshi series. Satindra Bhattacharya replaced Uttam Kumar as Bakshi and Shailen Mukherjee played his role as Ajit.
- Magno Mainak (2009) directed by Swapan Ghosal and produced by New Wave Communications was the third film of the Bakshi series. Subhrajit Dutta acted as Bakshi while Rajarshi Mukherjee played his role as Ajit.
- Byomkesh Bakshi (2010) was the first installment of the Byomkesh film trilogy directed by singer-songwriter-actor-director Anjan Dutt and produced by R P Techvision Pvt Ltd. The film was released on 13 August 2010. This movie was scheduled be followed by the other two film-adaptations of Chitrochor and Kohen Kobi Kalidas.
- Abar Byomkesh (2012) was the second film adaption of the Byomkesh film trilogy . In the film, Abir Chatterjee plays Bakshi while Ushasie Chakraborty plays Satyboti. The character of Ajit is played by Saswata Chatterjee.
- Satyanweshi (2013) directed by Rituporno Ghosh. It is adapted from the novel Chorabali, Sujoy Ghosh playing the lead Role. The film released on 5 Sep 2013 .
- Byomkesh Phire Elo (2014) is the Third film adaption of the Byomkesh film trilogy by Anjan Dutta. In the film, All The Actors form Previous Film has Reprises Their Role including Abir Chatterjee as Bakshi & Ushasie Chakraborty as Satyboti. The Film is Based on Beni Sanghar.
- Detective Byomkesh Bakshi (upcoming, scheduled February 2015 release). Co-produced by Yash Raj Films and directed and co-produced by Dibakar Banerjee. The film stars Susant Sing Rajput as Byomkesh Bakshi.
- Shajarur Kanta is an upcoming Bengali film based on the novel of same name. The film stars Dhritiman Chatterjee as Byomkesh Bakshi. Indraneil Sengupta and Konkona Sen Sharma also plying important roles. The film will be directed by Saibal Mitra.
- In the early 1980s Kolkata Doordarshan produced several episodes of Byomkesh Bakshi where Ajoy Ganguly acted as Byomkesh.
- Byomkesh Bakshi (1993) directed by Basu Chatterjee was the critically acclaimed television adaptation of the series. Actor Rajit Kapur played the role of Byomkesh Bakshi, for which he was highly praised. Ajit was played by K.K. Raina and Satyaboti was played by Sukanya Kulkarni who was the first actress to play the character. The series had 33 episode, aired on DD 1 Season 1 in 1993 and Season 2 in 1997s.
- Byomkesh Bakshi (2004) directed by Swapan Ghoshal was the second television adaptation of the series also aired on Doordarshan. Actor Sudip Mukherjee debuted with the role of Byomkesh Bakshi. Debdut Ghosh played the role of Ajit while Satyaboti was played by Maitreyi Mitra.
- Byomkesh (2007) was also directed by Swapan Ghosal, who collaborated with Tara Muzik (a private Bengali T. V. channel). Actor Saptarshi Roy has played Bakshi while Ajit and Satyaboti were played by two lesser-known actors.
- Byomkesh Bakshi has been mentioned in the 2014 episode "The Mommy Observation" of the US TV series The Big Bang Theory. The character Bernadette Rostenkowski refers Bakshi as Indian Sherlock Holmes while Raj Koothrappali refers Sherlock as the English Byomkesh Bakshi.
- A 2014 TV series named Byomkesh airing on ETV Bangla, actor Gaurav Chakrabarty played the role of Byomkesh.
- "Comparing Byomkesh Bakshi to Sherlock Holmes | Byomkesh.com – ব্যোমকেশ.কম". Byomkesh.com. Retrieved 2012-08-01.
- Sherlock Holmes of India: Byomkesh Bakshi, Jayeet Sen, Northwestern State University of Louisiana, 2004
- Bandyopādhyāẏa, Śaradindu (1995). Byomakeśa samagra. Ananda Publishers Pvt. Limited. p. Contents. ISBN 978-81-7215-355-7.
- "Stories". Byomkesh.com - ব্যোমকেশ.কম.
- Bhattacharya Supriya (1 September 2009). Impressions 8, 2/E. Pearson Education India. pp. 1–. ISBN 978-81-317-2777-5. Retrieved 16 July 2012.
- Andrew Robinson (1989). Satyajit Ray: The Inner Eye. University of California Press. pp. 231–. ISBN 978-0-520-06946-6. Retrieved 16 July 2012.
- "Sajaraur Kanta". Complete index to world film. Retrieved 27 July 2014.
- Chatterjee, Shoma (24 May 2014). "Mystery Trail". The Times of India. Retrieved 27 July 2014.
- "Abar Byomkesh". Telegraph, Calcutta. 31 March 2012. Retrieved 7 October 2012.
- "Sujoy Ghosh to not act in any film after Rituparno's 'Satyanweshi'". IBNLIve. 15 August 2013. Retrieved 16 August 2013.
- "Rituparno Ghosh's cinematographer, not Sujoy Ghosh to complete Satyanweshi". Hindustan Times. 10 June 2013. Retrieved 16 August 2013.
- "Satyanweshi poster: Sujoy Ghosh looks like a real detective!". Bollywood Life. 31 July 2013. Retrieved 16 August 2013.
- "Sushant Singh Rajput to play Detective Byomkesh Bakshi". June 28, 2013. NDTV. Retrieved January 16, 2014.
- "Sushant Singh Rajput in Yash Raj Film's Detective Byomkesh Bakshi". June 27, 2013. Indian Express. Retrieved January 16, 2014.
- Ankita R Kanabar (April 24, 2014). "The date shuffle". The Indian Express. Retrieved 2014-04-25.
- "Another Byomkesh Bakshi mystery - The Indian Express". The Indian Express.
- "Konkona Sen Sharma-Indraneil Sengupta to star in new Byomkesh Bakshi film - The Indian Express". The Indian Express.
- "Doorbeen movie review". The Times of India. Retrieved 21 January 2014.
- shahabkalim-1. "Byomkesh Bakshi (TV Series 1993– )". IMDb.