|Born||December 12, 1953|
|Origin||Winston-Salem, North Carolina, U.S.|
|Years active||1978 – present|
Byron Hill (born December 12, 1953), is an American songwriter from Winston-Salem, North Carolina. Working professionally in Nashville, TN for more than thirty years, his songs have been recorded by over 700 Country and Pop artists.
After moving to Nashville in May 1978, Byron signed his first songwriting contract in September of that year. The hits started for him as a songwriter in 1979 with Joe Sun's "Out Of Your Mind", and in 1981 with Johnny Lee's "Pickin' Up Strangers", with many other recordings and singles along the way, songs recorded by George Strait, Ray Charles, Anne Murray, Kenny Rogers, Juice Newton, Alabama, Randy Travis, Keith Whitley, Johnny Lee, George Jones, Reba McEntire, Toby Keith, Joe Nichols, Gary Allan, Tracy Byrd, Doc & Merle Watson, Joe Sun, Rhonda Vincent, The Whites, Neal McCoy, Trace Adkins, John Michael Montgomery, Conway Twitty, Asleep At The Wheel, Clint Eastwood, Hank Thompson, Sammy Kershaw, Gene Watson, Mila Mason, The Road Hammers, Porter Wagoner, Ed Bruce, Gord Bamford, Brooks & Dunn, Bill Medley, BlackHawk, Highway 101, Jeff Bates, Barbara Mandrell, Mel McDaniel, Rhett Akins, The Oak Ridge Boys, The Seekers, Daniel O'Donnell, Don Williams and others. Several of his songs have been number one hits including George Strait's "Fool Hearted Memory" in 1982, Alabama's "Born Country" in 1992, and Gary Allan's "Nothing On But The Radio" in 2005. His songs have since generated more than 700 recordings, earning seventy-seven RIAA certified gold and platinum awards, ten ASCAP awards, thirty-two U.S. and Canadian top-ten chart hits including numerous hits in other worldwide markets.
He has also been the producer of various artists including: Roger Bowling 1981-1982 (Mercury Records, Avco Embassy Pictures, select recordings only), Renate Kern 1981 (Ariola Records/Germany), Mike Dekle 1982–present, (Parlay Records), Kathy Mattea 1983-1984 (Mercury Records, co-producer), Nancy Wood 1983-1984 (Lovelight Records/Germany, co-producer), Richard Gachner 1984 (WEA/France, Polydor Records/France), Marie Bottrell 1991 (BMG Records/Canada, Cardinal Records/Canada, co-producer), Gary Allan 1996-2000, (Decca Nashville, co-producer), Gil Grand 1998, (Monument Records/USA/Canada), Gord Bamford 2005–2014 (GWB Records/Canada, Royalty Records/Canada, Sony Music/Canada), Hey Romeo 2008–2012 (Royalty Records/Canada), and numerous other independent artists 1978–present. He was awarded the CCMA 2008, 2010, and 2012 Producer Of The Year award, and the 2012 Songwriter Of The Year award for his work with Canadian artist Gord Bamford, and the CCMA 2013 Producer Of The Year for his work with Canadian group The Boom Chucka Boys.
Songs in Films
- Coast To Coast, 1980, Paramount Pictures, includes "Pickin' Up Strangers" recorded by Johnny Lee.
- The Exterminator, 1980, Avco Embassy Pictures, includes "Heal It" recorded by Roger Bowling.
- The Soldier, 1982, Embassy Pictures, includes "Fool Hearted Memory" recorded by George Strait.
- Pink Cadillac, 1989, Warner Bros. Pictures, includes "Card-Carryin' Fool" recorded by Randy Travis.
- Elvis, Up Close and Personal with Sonny West, 2008, Rochford Films, Scoring/Music composer/Music licensing consultant.
- Lake Effects, 2011, Life Out Loud Films, includes "Stars Are Falling" recorded by Diamondback.
Solo Albums (as a featured performer)
- "Gravity... and other things that keep you down to Earth" (BHP Recordings/BHP-4501), 1999
- "Ramblings" (BHP Recordings/BHP-5002), 2004
- "Stay A While" (BHP Recordings/BHP-5503), 2009
- "Radio Songs" (BHP Recordings/BHP-5704), 2011
- "Red Leather Couch" (BHP Recordings/BHP-6005), 2014
Albums (as a guest performer)
- "A Songwriters Tribute To George Strait, Vol 1" (Compadre Records/CRC-010), with various artists, 2004
- BYRON HILL - See About Byron
- BILLBOARD HOT COUNTRY SONGS 1944-2008
- RIAA - Recording Industry Association of America
- MusicDish Industry e-Journal
- MusicDish Industry e-Journal
- The Appalachian Online
- UNIVERSAL MUSIC PUBLISHING GROUP - The Songs of Byron Hill
- Byron Hill
- HEY ROMEO (Band)
- Coast To Coast (1980)
- The Exterminator (1980)
- The Soldier (1982)
- Pink Cadillac (1989)
- Byron Hill, Official Website
- Universal Music Publishing, Byron Hill Bio
- “The Song Was King”: A Conversation with Byron Hill
- IMDB - Internet Movie Database, Byron Hill
- 30th Anniversary of George Strait's first #1