|Byron Kathleen Mitchell|
(Byron Katie: 2006)
|Born||Byron Kathleen Reid
December 6, 1942
|Other names||Byron Katie|
"The Work (of Byron Katie)"
Byron Kathleen Mitchell, better known as Byron Katie (born December 6, 1942), is an American speaker and author who teaches a method of self-inquiry known as "The Work of Byron Katie" or simply as "The Work". She is married to the writer and translator Stephen Mitchell. She is the founder of Byron Katie International (BKI), an organization that includes The School for the Work and Turnaround House in Ojai, California.
In February 1986, while in a halfway house for women with eating disorders, Byron Katie experienced a life-changing realization: "I discovered that when I believed my thoughts, I suffered, but that when I didn’t believe them, I didn’t suffer, and that this is true for every human being. Freedom is as simple as that. I found that suffering is optional. I found a joy within me that has never disappeared, not for a single moment." Byron Katie calls her method of self-inquiry "The Work." She has taught it to people all over the world, at free public events, in prisons, hospitals, churches, corporations, shelters for survivors of domestic violence, universities and schools, at weekend intensives, and at her nine-day School for The Work.
The Work is a way of identifying and questioning any stressful thought. It consists of four questions and a turnaround. This is a way of experiencing the opposite of what you believe. The four questions are: 1) Is it true? 2) Can you absolutely know that it's true? 3) How do you react, what happens, when you believe that thought? and 4) Who would you be without the thought?
- Loving What Is: Four Questions That Can Change Your Life, with Stephen Mitchell, Harmony Books, 2002, ISBN 0-609-60874-6 (HC)
- I Need Your Love - Is That True? How to Stop Seeking Love, Appreciation, and Approval and Start Finding Them Instead, with Michael Katz, Harmony Books, 2005, ISBN 1-4000-5107-X (HC)
- A Thousand Names for Joy: Living in Harmony with the Way Things Are, with Stephen Mitchell, Harmony Books, 2007. ISBN 978-0-307-33923-2 (HC)
- Question Your Thinking, Change the World: Quotations from Byron Katie, edited by Stephen Mitchell, Hay House, 2007. ISBN 978-1-4019-1730-2 (PB)
- Who Would You Be Without Your Story?: Dialogues with Byron Katie, edited by Carol Williams, Hay House, 2008 ISBN 978-1-4019-2179-8 (PB)
- Tiger-Tiger, Is It True?, illustrated by Hans Wilhelm, Hay House, 2009 ISBN 978-1-4019-2560-4 (HC)
- Peace in the Present Moment, with Eckhart Tolle, Hampton Roads Pub Co Inc 2010, Newburyport, MA 2010, ISBN 978-1-57174-643-6
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Byron Katie|
- Official website for The Work of Byron Katie
- Official blog for The Work of Byron Katie
- Official live webcast site for The Work of Byron Katie
- Excerpts from Loving What Is
- LA Magazine Jane Lynch and Byron Katie Do "The Work"
- Los Angeles Times: How a self guru is born, November 24, 2002
- Byron Katie with Oprah
- Time Magazine 12/11/2000 : Innovators - Byron Katie. Four Questions to Inner Peace "TIME predicts the most innovative people of the 21st Century."
- The Noumenon Journal, Summer 2000/2001: An Interview with Byron Katie
- The best mp3 repository of "The Work of Byron Katie"