June 24, 1964 |
|Occupation||Professional Angler / TV HostFisherman|
Byron Paul Velvick (born June 24, 1964) is a 2-Time WON Bass U.S. Open champion and previously held the BASS Record for 3 day limit (Apr.13-15, 2000 Clear Lake, Calif). Velvick spent 2 years as a commentator for the ESPN2 show "BassCenter" from 2005-2006. He's also been an on-the-water reporter and contributing analyst for ESPN's fishing coverage before and since. Byron Velvick currently resides in Del Rio, Texas where he is the President/owner of Amistad Lake Resort.
In September 2004, Velvick was the bachelor for Season 6 of the United States television show The Bachelor. He chose bachelorette Maribel Liliana "Mary" Delgado. Delgado, who came to the US with her parents from Cuba when she was a year old, had been a contestant the previous autumn during the series' 4th season.
During the finale show that aired during Thanksgiving week 2004, Velvick asked Mary Delgado to marry him in Spanish in order for her parents to be able to understand his proposal. Delgado accepted. After they became engaged, Delgado joined Velvick's tour and learned the sport. She is now a competing angler in her own right.
On November 21, 2007, Delgado was arrested in Tampa on charges of battery. According to authorities, she punched Velvick in the mouth, causing his upper lip to bleed, and was under the influence of alcohol when she was arrested. The couple had appeared together in a segment of a "Bachelor" reunion show the night before during which the audience was asked if Velvick should marry Delgado. Behind her back he shook his head to indicate "no", which caused the audience to laugh. There is some speculation this sparked the later argument. The couple later told reporters that despite the incident, they were still happy together.
Velvick and Delgado ended their relationship in December 2009.
- "Velvick starts Day Two with lead, grin". ESPN.
- ""We're Doing Great" - Velvick, Delgado weather storm". ESPN.
- "Byron Velvick Not Checking Out". Bass Zone.
- "There's Something About Mary: Bachelor Byron Velvick Offers Mary Delgado The Final Rose & A Ring". The Rugged Elegance Inspiration Network.
- "TMZ: 'Bachelorette' Mary Delgado Assaulted 'Bachelor' Fiance Byron Velvick". FOXNews.com. November 25, 2007.
- "Bachelor Battle: Byron Velvick & Mary Delgado, He Regrets Calling Cops". National Ledger.
- "The Bachelor: Mary Delgado and Byron Velvick on Their Domestic Dispute". BuddyTV.
- "Byron Velvick & Mary Delgado: So Happy Together". The Hollywood Gossip.
- "Exclusive: Bachelor Couple Byron Velvick, Mary Delgado Split". US magazine. December 2, 2009.