Byzantine Catholic Eparchy of Parma
|Eparchy of Parma
Eparchia Parmensis Ruthenorum
|(as of 2009)
|Established||February 21, 1969 (45 years ago)|
|Cathedral||Cathedral of St. John the Baptist|
|Eparch||John Michael Kudrick|
The Byzantine Catholic Eparchy of Parma (Latin: Eparchia Parmensis Ruthenorum) is the Catholic eparchy (diocese) governing most Byzantine Catholics in the midwestern United States. Its headquarters are at 1900 Carlton Road, Parma, Ohio. The current bishop is the Most Reverend John Kudrick.
The Eparchy was erected February 21, 1969. Its first bishop was Emil Mihalik. Currently, the Eparchy has 37 parishes under its canonical jurisdiction, which are located in Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, and Ohio. Ten parishes in the Youngstown, Ohio area are part of the Byzantine Catholic Archeparchy of Pittsburgh.
The eparchy was erected as the Eparchia Parmensis Ruthenorum on February 21, 1969 by Pope Paul VI. On March 22, 1969, Father John Mihalik was appointed as its first ordinary. He was consecrated as its eparch by Archbishop Stephen Kocisko on June 12, 1969. On May 30, 1983, Father Andrew Pataki was appointed as the Auxiliary Bishop of the Eparchy of Passaic and consecrated by Kocisko on August 23, 1983 with the title of Titular Bishop of Telmissus. When Mihalik died on January 27, 1984 Parma's see became sede vacante. Pataki was appointed as the eparch on June 19, 1984 and was installed on August 16, 1985.
- Emil John Mihalik † (March 22, 1969 – January 27, 1984 )
- Andrew Pataki † (June 19, 1984 – November 6, 1995)
- Basil Myron Schott, O.F.M., † (February 3, 1996 – May 3, 2002)
- John Michael Kudrick (May 3, 2002 – )
- Byzantine Catholic Metropolitan Church of Pittsburgh
- Byzantine Catholic Archeparchy of Pittsburgh
- Byzantine Catholic Eparchy of Passaic
- Byzantine Catholic Eparchy of Van Nuys
- List of the Catholic bishops of the United States#Metropolia of Pittsburgh for the Ruthenians
- Byzantine Catholic Metropolia of Pittsburgh (1999). Byzantine-Ruthenian Metropolitan Church of Pittsburgh Directory. Pittsburgh: Byzantine Catholic Metropolitan Church of Pittsburgh. ISBN none.
- Magocsi, Paul Robert and Ivan Pop (2005). Encyclopedia of Rusyn History and Culture. Toronto: University of Toronto Press. ISBN 0-8020-3566-3.
- "Eparchy of Parma (Ruthenian) Eparchia Parmensis Ruthenorum". catholic-hierarchy.org. April 13, 2010. Retrieved 2010-05-19.
- "About Us". parma.org. May 1, 2000. Retrieved 2010-05-19.
- "A Brief Description of the Byzantine Ruthenian Catholic Church in the United States". uaoc.org. April 13, 2010. Retrieved 2010-05-18.
- "Bishop Emil John Mihalik †". catholic-hierarchy.org. February 10, 2010. Retrieved 2010-05-18.
- "Archbishop Stephen John Kocisko †". catholic-hierarchy.org. April 13, 2010. Retrieved 2010-05-19.
- "Bishop Andrew Pataki". catholic-hierarchy.org. April 13, 2010. Retrieved 2010-05-19.
- "Eparchy of Holy Protection of Mary of Phoenix (Ruthenian)". catholic-hierarchy.org. April 13, 2010. Retrieved 2010-05-19.
- The Eparchy of Parma
- The Archeparchy of Pittsburgh
- Metropolia of Pittsburgh
- Eparchy of Parma (Ruthenian) at Catholic-Hierarchy.org