Byzantine Catholic Eparchy of Passaic
|Eparchy of Passaic (Ruthenian)
Eparchia Passaicensis Ruthenorum
|Metropolitan||William C. Skurla|
|(as of 2009)
|Denomination||Ruthenian Catholic Church|
|Established||July 6, 1963 (50 years ago)|
|Cathedral||Cathedral of St. Michael the Archangel|
The Byzantine Catholic Eparchy of Passaic (Latin: Eparchia Passaicensis Ruthenorum) is the Catholic eparchy (diocese) governing most Byzantine Catholics in the eastern United States. Its headquarters are at 445 Lackawanna Avenue, Woodland Park (formerly West Paterson). On October 29, 2013, Pope Francis appointed Father Kurt Burnette, until then the Rector of Saints Cyril and Methodius Seminary, in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania (since October 2012), as Eparch (Bishop)-elect of the Eparchy, succeeding William Skurla, who had become the leader of the Byzantine Catholic (Ruthenian) Archeparchy of Pittsburgh, the U.S. headquarters of this particular Eastern-rite Catholic church. Bishop-elect Burnette, 57, is a native of Falkenham, England, grew up in Texas, and was originally a priest of the Phoenix Eparchy.
The Eparchy was erected July 6, 1963 and its seat is the Cathedral of St. Michael the Archangel, in Passaic, New Jersey. Its first bishop was Stephen Kocisko. Currently, the Eparchy has 89 parishes under its canonical jurisdiction.
- Stephen John Kocisko † (July 6, 1963 - December 22, 1967) Appointed, Eparch of Pittsburgh (Ruthenian)
- Michael Joseph Dudick † (July 29, 1968 - November 6, 1995) Retired
- Andrew Pataki † (November 6, 1995 - December 6, 2007) Retired
- William C. Skurla (December 6, 2007 - January 19, 2012) Appointed, Archeparch of Pittsburgh (Ruthenian)
- Kurt Burnette (December 4, 2013 - Present)
The eparchy encompasses parishes located in the following states:
- New Jersey
- New York
- North Carolina
- Pennsylvania (eastern counties)
- South Carolina
- Byzantine Catholic Metropolitan Church of Pittsburgh
- Byzantine Catholic Archeparchy of Pittsburgh
- Byzantine Catholic Eparchy of Parma
- Byzantine Catholic Eparchy of Phoenix
- List of the Catholic bishops of the United States #Metropolia of Pittsburgh for the Ruthenians
- Byzantine Catholic Metropolia of Pittsburgh (1999). Byzantine-Ruthenian Metropolitan Church of Pittsburgh Directory. Pittsburgh: Byzantine Catholic Metropolitan Church of Pittsburgh. ISBN none.
- Magocsi, Paul Robert and Ivan Pop (2005). Encyclopedia of Rusyn History and Culture. Toronto: University of Toronto Press. ISBN 0-8020-3566-3.
- Eparchy of Passaic
- Eparchy of Passaic (Ruthenian) at Catholic-Hierarchy.org
- The Archeparchy of Pittsburgh
- Metropolia of Pittsburgh