C3 (light novel)
Cover of the first light novel
|Genre||Action, Comedy, Harem, Romance, Supernatural|
|Written by||Hazuki Minase|
|Published by||ASCII Media Works|
|Original run||September 10, 2007 – June 7, 2013|
|Written by||Tsukako Akina|
|Published by||ASCII Media Works|
|Original run||April 2011 – ongoing|
|Anime television series|
|Directed by||Shin Ōnuma|
|Written by||Michiko Yokote|
|Network||AT-X, BS11, Chiba TV, KBS Kyoto, Sun TV, Tokyo MX, TV Aichi, TV Kanagawa, TV Saitama|
|Original run||October 1, 2011 – December 17, 2011|
|Original video animation|
|Directed by||Shin Ōnuma|
|Written by||Michiko Yokote|
|Released||April 25, 2012|
C³, also known as C Cube (シーキューブ Shīkyūbu?) or Cube×Cursed×Curious, is a Japanese light novel series written by Hazuki Minase and illustrated by Sasorigatame about Haruaki Yachi who receives a mysterious black cube from his father. That night, Haruaki is woken by a noise and finds a nude girl named Fear in his kitchen eating rice crackers. Haruaki then has to protect Fear from organizations that seek to capture or destroy her. Luckily, Haruaki has plenty of other friends like Fear willing to help. It was adapted into a manga and anime series at the second half of 2011.
The story begins with high-school student Yachi Haruaki receiving a mysterious package, a super-heavy black cube from his father overseas. That night, Haruaki wakes to a suspicious noise in the kitchen and discovers a cute-looking stark-naked female thieving rice crackers. After the embarrassing moment, the girl presents herself. Her name is Fear (pronounced "Fia" in Japanese), and is the first of several surprises that Haruaki is to receive.
- Haruaki Yachi (夜知 春亮 Yachi Haruaki?)
- Voiced by: Yūki Kaji
- The male protagonist. His father has a habit of sending him cursed artifacts to remove the curses within as their home is a blessed location that is a focal point for Positive Energy which gradually removes curses, and he is immune to the curses. So Fear's curse can't urge him to use her to torture people nor was Kuroe's curse to drain Life Energy from her owner activated either. Due to the fact that his mother was never seen or mentioned in the series and his father is traveling, he developed a talent in cooking. He has a very stubborn but friendly personality, and does not hesitate when it comes to protecting his friends. Haruaki is somewhat aware of Konoha's feelings for him, but apparently isn't aware of Ueno's or the others feelings.
- Fear Cubrick/Kubrick (フィア・キューブリック Fia Kyūburikku?)
- Voiced by: Yukari Tamura
- The female protagonist. She's actually a cursed tool, a fictitious device called Fear In Cube, a terrible torture device that looks like a solid metal cube. In the anime there are linear grooves on each face, and a 4 inch diameter glass lens centered on one face. In the light novel several faces have concealed openings; there is no glass lens on any face of it. In size, when resting on the floor it reaches to Haruaki's knee in height, about 55 cm on a side. Fear in Cube has, according to the novel, 32 torture capabilities, such as a guillotine, an Iron Maiden, a giant drill, and more. Some of its capabilities are currently unavailable. This is determined by indulgence disks.
- Developed during the height of the Inquisitions, Fear has caused countless people's agonizing deaths to the point she risks going homicidally insane upon hearing someone scream in pain. Eventually she developed a curse of her own, causing anyone who owns her to go insane. This insanity drives the owner to want to use her to torture people and revel in their pain and screams. Due to her extended time in the depths of a Spanish castle Fear has also developed animosity for spiders, as they would build cobwebs around her original form. Out of disgust at her past Fear prefers to stay in human form. She regards Haruaki as her owner, and her anxiety is eased by his assurances that her curse can not affect him.
- Since Konoha, on their first meeting, referred to Fear as a "child", Fear expresses animosity towards Konaha by referring to her as "Cow Udders" and the like, and by playing to Konoha's worries that Haruaki might do something perverted with another girl (often Fear). Fear's favorite catchphrase is "I'll curse you". Fear also has an incredibly strong addiction to rice crackers. She was given a family name by either Haruaki's father or the school superintendent at the time she was enrolled into the high school. It is spelled 'Kyūburikku' in katakana in the original canon, spelled 'Cubrick' in the baka-tsuki English translation of the novel and spelled 'Kubrick' in the English subtitles to the anime. Haruaki considered it a poor attempt at a joke, and felt obliged to teach Fear to respond to others by denying any relation to the famous movie director.
- Konoha Muramasa (村正 このは Muramasa Konoha?)
- Voiced by: Minori Chihara
- A childhood friend of Haruaki. Like Fear, she is a "cursed tool" who gained a will through the pain and hate that had long surrounded her. Konoha True Form is that of a Katana and hates her surname of Muramasa. In the novels Konoha's curse has been nearly lifted and can apply her status as a blade to her body making it as strong as steel and able to slice through things, usually with her hands. Sometimes she accidentally cuts somethings she holding when her anger flares up. In the Anime she faints at the sight of blood, while in the Light Novels its revealed that her hemophilia is a result of self hypnosis in order to keep her blood lust from overwhelming her. Also, her glasses are to help block her vision to help suppress her curse. As she has worn the glasses for years, even when sleeping or bathing, they have become a part of her. As the glasses were specially built to be her 'scabbard' they don't fall off when she shifts to sword form but literally turn into her scabbard which can be used as a blunt blade. In the anime Konoha's curse is that her wielder also suffers from the injuries she creates on any living opponent. In the Light Novels her curse is for her to want to see "fresh blood" and induce her owner to do the same. When Konoha sees blood for an extended period, she sometimes begins to revert into a blood thirsty personality similar to Fear. In the novels Haruaki, when fighting with her sword form, keeps the scabbard on to avoid shedding blood, exposing the blade only in a 'sword killing counter' blow. Like other Cursed Items she can influence her wielder, although instead of causing madness or destructive urges she takes control and moves the wielder's body. Haruaki is aware when she does this, but has to relax himself to avoid interfering with her moves. In the anime, to prevent Konoha from going homocidal, Haruaki keeps the blade in its sheath. Her ability Killing Counter allows her to focus on the enemy's movements, find an opening, and destroy the enemy's weapon by striking its main weak point. This is a skill she taught herself as a means of defeating an enemy without drawing blood. Fear often refers to Konoha as "Cow Udders" or "Cow Tits", due to jealousy over Konoha's large breasts. Due to her longtime crush on Haruaki, a running gag in the series is that whenever Konoha hears or sees Haruaki doing anything that could be interpreted as sexually suggestive with another girl, she either gets enraged (and cuts something) or intervenes and reprimands Haruaki even it wasn't his fault. Another running gag, (in the light novels at least) is that since her clothes don't transform with her, she's naked (but still wearing glasses) when she switches back from her True sword form to a human form, forgets that she is naked until pointed out to her, and then screams and runs away embarrassed. At the end of novel volume 1 she moved from the compound's out-building that she had shared with Kuroe, into the main building and a room next to Fear. She's deeply in love with Haruaki, has been since meeting him, but is too nervous and embarrassed to act on it most of the time. As a result of having and suppressing these feelings she tends to punish Haruaki severely when he gets into embarrassing situations with girls, even if its an accident or completely the girl's fault. This tends to be expressed by some form of "immorality breaker" move that involves poking his eyes with something, usually her fingers, in order to blind and punish him simultaneously. In the Light Novels she is aware that Kirika not only loves but is a rival for Haruaki.
- Kirika Ueno (上野 錐霞 Ueno Kirika?)
- Voiced by: Eri Kitamura
- Student Body President and classmate of Haruaki. She has two cursed tools called Ginistrnag's Love, a bdsm-style outfit that when worn the user will heal from any injuries, including fatal ones, but in exchange the user will die if it is removed and therefore has to wear it forever. Although she can slip her hand between the leather and her skin for things like showering its unknown how much can be pulled away or removed before the curse kicks in and kills her. Same goes for parts of the suit coming off because of being cut up or damaged before it can repair itself. In the Light Novels it's explained it originally belonged to a sadist who wanted the women he tortured in it to not only stay clean and beautiful, but live longer whiles he's torturing them. As a result while it can heal any wound it doesn't prevent feeling the pain from the injuries so if her arm is broken she feels the full pain of a broken arm until it heals. As result she feels disgusted with her body due to the feeling of her flesh and blood moving around during the healing process and considers herself an immortal mechanical tool. Due to Lab Chief's Nations' "testing" if a limb is cut off a new one will grow back, although the process is significantly faster if the original limb is held in its original place. Whether this works if she's decapitated is unknown. In the Light Novel it also keeps her clean making the showers she takes redundant. The other, The River of Black Strings (or Tragic Black River), formerly owned by a serial killer, has the ability to expand and contract in order to bind or subjugate opponents. In the anime its curse is to make the user want to hurt or kill somebody with it. Kirika usually satisfies the curse by using herself as the victim since the bondage suit will heal all her injuries. In the novels she also uses herself to fulfill the condition of binding, breaking and strangling someone to death and is somewhat unwillingly a member of a group called 'Lab Chief Yamimagari Pakuaki's Nation', founded by her older brother. This group studies and researches cursed tools as the ultimate mysteries to explore. In the anime she used to be part of an organization called Nightcrawlers, along with her older brother. She has a crush on Haruaki, and (for some strange reason, as Haruaki puts it) often competes with him over whose cooking is better (light novel) during lunch period, or (anime) after class. In the Light Novels this becomes love (which Haruaki is still too dense to realize) when he treats her the same after not only finding out about the cursed bondage suit, but what she has to do to satisfy the curse of Black River. Not only that, but little things like taking her into a pool for the first time since the bondage suit was put on while dispelling her fears of the suit being seen. She has always been fond of him since they met even though she was originally sent to the school to watch Konoha and him as an observer from afar who isn't suppose to get directly involved with them. In the Light Novels her catchphrase of "Absolutely ridicules!" is revealed as an expression of shock and anger that was initiated by Hamura's explanation for a terrible deed he did to her due to his obsession. She's never forgiven or let her guard down around him since.
- Kuroe Ningyouhara (人形原 黒絵 Ningyōhara Kuroe?)
- Voiced by: Yui Ogura
- A cursed doll who has recently returned to Haruaki's house. She has a very friendly and calm personality, and is very direct in her communication. Usually she seems emotionless and half asleep but anyone who knows her well, like Haruaki, can tell if she's feeling a particular emotion such as interest, rage, surprise, etc. Kuroe can freely control her hair like tentacles for many purposes, such as moving things like she was using hands not hair, or to manipulate life energy to speed up the natural healing process of others. Sometimes she pulls her hair out to use for something, but whether it's gone forever or grows back is unknown. Due to the trust and thanks from her customers and fellow shopkeepers she has completely removed her curse. While not specifically given a "title" for her capabilities, Kuroe's original curse was that she would attempt to leech energy from her owner night after night weakening the person little by little until he/she dies. This was done by cutting off short bits of the owner's hair (along with part of their life energy through the curse) and absorbing it. In the Light Novels she can use her hair to put life energy into wounds healing them as long as they're not too deep or severe but needs to replenish the energy used. This doesn't instantly heal the wound but significantly increases the speed and efficiency of healing. Hence a severe wound would require more life energy than she can provide without tapping into her own life energy. She recharges by running a (very popular) salon where she cuts peoples hair and then feeds on the residual life energy inherent in the cut hair after closing, partly to keep her life energy up and partly because she finds the hair delicious. (IE unlike the curse which drains more life energy into the cut hair, this is only the life energy that the hair itself contained like body warmth as its still LIVING hair. If she waited a few weeks there wouldn't be any energy or 'warmth' because the hair would be dead since it wasn't connected to a live person for awhile.) This way she can completely refill her energy without creating victims. Kuroe can be very perverted at times, especially in her practical jokes, as the time she intruded on Haruaki and Fear with a video camera thinking they were having sex (Haruaki was actually putting an Indulgence Disk into Fear in cube form at the time.) Although she does have feelings for Haruaki too, its more as family and she isn't acting on it and is encouraging Kirika instead.
Taishuu High School
- Shiraho Sakuramairi (桜参 白穂 Sakuramairi Shiraho?)
- Voiced by: Chiwa Saitō
- A former talented performer in a famous theatrical group whose family owns an antique shop. She was once lonely and cold-hearted, but after her father introduced Sovereignty to her, she gradually falls in love with her/him. She initially posed herself as Sovereignty when she first met Haruaki and his friends but was revealed to be the real Shiraho when they visited her house and saw the two together. Shiraho rarely, if at all, attended classes at Haruaki's high school up until Sovereignty got his/her Killing Organ destroyed. After that, as part of the punishment for all the trouble they caused she has to attend school normally. Due to skipping school for so long she's failing everything initially and is reluctantly studying with the others to get her grades up. While her grades are terrible she is a top class actress who can capture an audience's attention with her exceptional performance even if she had no time to prepare or rehearse beforehand. Her personality is still cold from being treated as a doll by her mother to perform on stage, being highly praised for performances she put minimal effort into, and talks like she is a doll and humans are beneath her. Although she has lightened up somewhat and able to talk to Haruaki's group fairly normally, it's still with scathing remarks and treating Haruaki as a miserable excuse for a human who's only value to the world would be dying ASAP. However, while grateful for their help she finds the group extremely irritating for interrupting her time alone with Sovereignty. This shows when she helps the group, muttering numerous protests and complaints, but pitches in if she truly is needed, albeit almost always at Sovereignty's behest. However, if there is a fight and she and Sovereignty can only hinder and not help she'll make an excuse or protest about helping further, grab Sovereignty, and leave. The main reason she's willing to talk or help them is because Sovereignty likes them and gratitude for the times they helped Sovereignty. She still loves and lives with Sovereignty despite the curse still being present unless something happens. Even though Sovereignty's curse makes the owner fall in love with him/her she doesn't want to relinquish ownership so her love for Sovereignty won't decrease at all in case some or all of her love for Sovereignty is from the curse. Is also one of the few female characters of Haruaki's age group not head over heels in love with him. Although it's hard to tell if she really hates him as much as she says or thinks of him as a friend as she conscripted his help on a few occasions rather than somebody else. However she feels about Haruaki, her one true love is Sovereignty.
- Sovereignty (サヴェレンティ Saverenti?)
- Voiced by: Yuka Iguchi
- Her/his true name is Sovereignty-Perfection-Doll. An androgynous cursed doll (which Shiraho refers to as a male) whose curse causes his/her owner to fall in love with him/her unto death. Is able to appear as a handsome man (with a feminine influence) or a cute girl with (B-C cup?) breasts. Most of the time s/he appears as a girl implying that's the preferred gender. For some reason Sovereignty says the female form can only decrease and increase the size of her breasts by having them rubbed. She/he possesses a killing mechanism called Killing Organ with blades hidden in her/his body, specially designed to activate only when the Killing Organ detects a certain level of love from the owner which activates "Last Embrace." Last Embrace is where Sovereignty unwillingly embraces his/her owner while numerous blades pop out to kill the owner. This was because his/her creator had wanted to create the most perfect doll for any owner, (hence the ability to switch genders as some people prefer female dolls and others male dolls for various reasons) but before finishing went insane resulting in the inclusion of the Killing Organ and blades in order to have the "perfect doll" bring a conclusive "end" to the romance between doll and owner. While she/he is able to resist the urge to kill somewhat, it gets harder and harder the more love between the two exists until she/he can't stop the Killing Organ from killing the owner. Sovereignty is able to confuse the Killing Organ somewhat by taking the strong feelings of love from others causing the victims to faint and suffer a condition similar to anemia, although being with or touching the person they love severely increases their recovery. Sovereignty also has the ability to control "replicas of life", by stating: "I speak with sovereign right. All models of life are my subjects. Obey! Obey me!" This can control anything vaguely humanoid, whether a bent bedframe, Cursed Tool in Human Form (if the Tool cooperates and doesn't resist,) straw dolls, skeleton and anatomical models, puppets, etc. Konoha uses her special ability to destroy the Killing Organ and break all the knives after Fear stages a performance in order to fully draw out all of the knives, she/he is hired as the superintendent's maid. A running gag in the series is that Sovereignty is a major klutz in female form. As she's rarely seen as a male it's unknown if the male form is clumsy as well. While Sovereignty still loves and lives with Shiraho, it seems s/he has some feelings for Haruaki as well. Sovereignty is still cursed so living with Shiraho is only as long as nothing happens, but because the Killing Organ and all the knives were destroyed the killing part of the curse has changed from killing the owner with "Last Embrace" into "Wanting to be hugged." During a side story with a stalker it seems that while Sovereignty loves Shiraho most, s/he might also be developing feelings for Haruaki as well.
- Gabriel Sekaibashi (世界橋 ガブリエル Sekaibashi Gaburieru?)
- Voiced by: Shūichi Ikeda
- The eccentric superintendent of Taishuu High School who wears a face mask for unknown reasons. Gabriel constantly spins different stories as to why he wears the mask, but Fear and Shiraho just think he's perverted. Volume 8 of the Light Novels reveals the reason he wears the mask along with the fact that he feels nervous without it after having worn it for so long. His interest is in collecting what he thinks are cursed objects, however he claims that Haruaki's father is far ahead of him in identifying them. Is currently looking for a way to heal and bring back to life a destroyed Cursed Tool due to a past incident with the Draconians. Thus prompting him to go on numerous trips seeking Cursed Tools but usually getting junk as he can't identify whether something is a Cursed Tool or not. Due to the incident his health is poor so while he can do one strong attack he's completely wiped out and would be unable to do anything other than walk away after the one attack. Xenon and her sister have been his subordinates even before the incident. Is very skilled with throwing things and seems to have a lot of clout and pull with important people in the city.
- Zenon Hojo (北条 漸音 Hōjō Zenon?)
- Voiced by: Ai Orikasa
- The superintendent's secretary who has a deadpan personality. However, she has a soft spot for cute things, as her cellphone ringtone is a jingle in the series' fictional children's show called "Meow Meow Paradise Hell". Has a strong interest in cute things, especially outfits, whether for herself or someone else (like Fear or Sovereignty) and tries to hide this from others. Unfortunately for her, her figure and appearance is better suited for mature, serious, business type outfits rather than cute things. Is skilled with throwing knives and was also involved with Gabriel's incident with the Draconians. A running gag is that when Gabriel suggests something outrageous, like asking how low she could afford her salary to be cut, she pulls out a Letter of Resignation with intent to use it until Gabriel apologizes and claims to have been kidding. Is usually in charge of the school during his absence. Also is aware of the existence of Cursed Tools along with the fact that Konoha, Fear and Sovereignty are Cursed Tools as well as Kirika's and Izoey's involvement with Lab Chief's Nation.
- Ganon Hojo (北条 ガノン Hōjō Ganon?)
- Voiced by: Kotono Mitsuishi
- The (incredibly lazy) school nurse of Taishuu High School, who is Zenon's sister. Has developed her own method of fighting that resembles Drunken Mastery which makes it seem she is doing one thing while actually doing the exact opposite such as appearing to be withdrawing while actually attacking and vice versa. Likes to sleep and drink while finding any activity to be too bothersome and tiring. Although when need be she can actually be reliable occasionally such as give Haruaki a 10,000 Yen bill (about $100 in US,) calling a taxi and give him Kirika's address after she fainted. Like her sister she is aware of the existence of Cursed Tools along with the fact that Konoha, Fear and Sovereignty are Cursed Tools as well as Kirika's and Izoey's involvement with Lab Chief's Nation.
- Taizo Hakuto (伯途 泰造 Hakuto Taizō?)
- Voiced by: Takuma Terashima
- Haruaki's friend and classmate. While not as eccentric as Kana, Taizo gets extremely jealous when he discovers Fear is living with Haruaki. Has a bit of a crush on Konoha and completely unaware of the existence of Cursed Tools. Is one of the judges for Haruaki's and Kirika's lunch battles.
- Kana Miyama (実耶麻 渦奈 Miyama Kana?)
- Voiced by: Kana Asumi
- Kana is another classmate of Haruaki. She takes an instant liking to Fear, constantly obsessing over her like she's a cute animal. She is completely unaware of the existence of Cursed Tools much less the fact that Fear and Konoha are Cursed Tools. Is one of the judges for Haruaki's and Kirika's lunch battles.
- Peavey Barowoi (ピーヴィー・バロヲイ Pīvī Barōi?)
- Voiced by: Sayaka Ohara
- Known as the Balancing Toy, Peavey is a member of the Battlefront Collection Knights. Because of a traumatic childhood experience Peavey became a masochistic, violent woman. In the novels it involved her father bringing home a cursed whip from an antique store. In the anime it involved a serial killer slaughtering her family with a Wathe (later revealed to be Ueno's "River of Black Strings"). Her only goal in life is to destroy all cursed tools, hence why she joined the Battlefront Collection Knights. Even Mummy Maker states that Peavey has by far the most hatred for Cursed Tools out of anyone in the organization. She has a habit of calling out Bitch and is a heavy smoker. Peavey is eventually captured by Ueno after she attacks Haruaki and company for the second time. She is the principal antagonist of the novel volume 1. Her first weapon is a powerful machine armor for her arms that's similar to a Cursed Tool, but not cursed that greatly increases her arm strength so she can smash concrete with one punch, however, using causes severe damage to her arms in the process. Also, its extremely heavy causing her to wobble when moving earning her the nickname "Balancing Toy." The second weapon after losing an arm and half the armor is a Cursed Tool called "Dance Time." Its an Ax that can replicate every swing or blow its ever made, or make illusions to strike different blows at the same time as the real one. However, it keeps swinging on its own once it starts on its own and requires it to be used to murder someone before its special abilities can be used. In the Light Novels and Anime Peavey only uses it as a last resort but is so sickened mentally using it that she has to pause to throw up a few times.
- Amanda Carlot (アマンダ・カーロット Amanda Kārotto?) aka Mummy Maker (マミーメーカー Mamī Mēkā?)
- Voiced by: MAKO
- An Auxiliary who often speaks like a machine, Mummy Maker aids Peavey in her missions. She is attired in a bandage, like a mummy, wearing a mantle over it. The bandage is a worst called 'chupacabra bandage' and has wound-closing healing powers, but at the cost of painfully sucking blood from the persons bandaged. Mummy-maker has burns over half her body because her parents had locked her in a closet while setting the house on fire for the insurance money. After being rescued her mother tried to strangle her in the hospital screaming "Why didn't you die, now we can't collect on the Insurance!" In return for affection Peavey showed her she attempted to convince Haruaki to either turn over Fear to the Battlefront Collection Knights, or to not interfere when Peavey returns to destroy her. This was all to protect Peavey, the first person to ever treat her kindly as most people are sickened or afraid to get near her due to her burns. After being tricked over Amanda's intentions Peavey kills her in a rage, claiming there is no compromise and that she will have revenge. In the Light Novels its discovered that while on the brink of death, Amanda survived but is broken mentally.
- Alice Vivolio Basskreigh (アリス・ビブオーリオ・バスクリッハ Arisu Bibuōrio Basukurihha?)
- Voiced by: Rie Tanaka
- Alice, also known as the "Mother of Canonical" or "Matriarch", is the founder of the Vivolio Families, an organization that adores the curses of the Wathe and believes that they were saved by Wathe. And to affirm a Wathe's existence it shouldn't hold back on embracing their curses or any impulses they have, even if it results in death. If a Wathe's curse drives someone mad it should happily drive them mad, if they have urges or hatred they should act on them without holding back even if it means killing or torturing someone to death. In fact, the members embrace this so much that they consider it an honor to sacrifice their lives to Wathe and are even willing to help secure victims according to a Wathes preferences. Alice originally hoped to talk Kuroe into joining the Vivolio families, but after she discovers Fear in Cube she turns her attention to making Fear join the Vivolio family instead. Alice carries two cursed tools: Carnival Cooker and Suicidal-Beautification-Mirror. The former can remember any action it has taken and reenact the process again. The latter has three uses: the ability to make the user beautiful, render a target immobile and create countless clones of the owner and anything they're carrying (except the mirror.) The drawbacks to using the mirror is that Alice must cut herself on the wrist every once in a while, and the clones only last for 10 minutes from the moment they came into being. The drawback to Carnival Cooker is that since it was used to chop up and cook human bodies, its curse forces the user to want to kill and eat people. Alice often hides Carnival Cooker inside a massive viola, as she claims it would attract too much attention from the police if she walked around with it in the open. She has no conscience as she is the owner of Abyss (true form a large cross,) aka the Patriarch, whose curse completely suppresses the conscience of his owner allowing them to do anything they desire without reservations or guilt.
- Sunao Himura (日村 素直 Himura Sunao?)
- Voiced by: Shinichiro Miki
- A member of the Laboratory Emirate and Kirika Ueno's partner. He poses as a teacher at Taishō High School often using his superior position to torment Ueno by constantly goading and flirting with her, much to her disgust. Most confrontations between the two usually lead to Ueno hitting him or nearly choking him to death with her River of Black Strings. It's later revealed that he is literally obsessed with Kirika and had gained her trust and respect before snapping and doing something terrible to betray that trust and respect. His original mission was to observe and record Haruaki's attempts to dispel the curses on Wathe. and the actions of Haruaki and Konoha in school. Himura possesses a Wathe called "He in the Bastille" (named after the first person to use it), which is a large helmet that can render the user and one other person imperceptible. Whether its sight, sound, smell, touch or taste when activated the user isn't detected. However, its curse causes the user to become more and more imperceptible after each use even when not wearing the Wathe. Like their presence or acknowledgement of their existence is fades away from everybody's, including the user, perception. So extensive use would cause the user to forget their own existence. In the Light novels its noted by all the students that he has very little presence at all. As time passes he tries to make Kirika his in various ways such as blackmail and trying to get Haruaki killed without revealing any connections to the deed.
- Cursed Tool - An object that received numerous curses and negative feelings from humans resulting in it affecting its owner and those around it. This effect sometimes appears as a magical ability, but always develops a curse of its own first. This curse can show as a desire for something, a negative effect that occurs from use (frequent use in short period of time usually compounds effect and renders earlier 'damage' from curse as permanent, so even if avoid using for a while 'recovery' is less possible and complete after frequent use,) negative condition required to "use" the tool, some horrible deed to "fuel" the tool, or a negative effect that targets anyone near the tool. Such as Fear's ability not only allowing her to transform into various torture devices, but also is cursed to drive her owners insane with the desire to use her more and more. Or a mask that has the ability to grant multiple benefits to the user depending on which 'face' is being used, but requires the user to be stoned/intoxicated just to use the mask and has the curse of diminishing the user's eyesight with each use. Another mask can copy a person's face completely, but its (compounding) curse decreases how much of user's original face will revert back when done, so heavy usage in a short period will result in user being completely stuck with whatever face they last 'pasted' on and their original features lost forever.
- Why the object was the target of curses is usually because it was used as a tool to cause extreme pain and/or death to numerous victims. After receiving a large number of curses and negative feelings the cursed object becomes more human bit by bit as time passes allowing it to develop feelings and eventually a human form. Usually in the beginning the tool just feels pleasure in being useful and being used by its owner and some memory of being used, but hasn't developed any other emotions or feelings until it accumulates more negative feelings and curses. After developing self awareness several tools hate and want to be rid of their curses, and never be used as tools for their intended purposes again such as Fear. Others either don't want to lose their curses, don't care as long as they're useful, or, like Abyss, don't see their curses as something bad to suppress but to revel in. A Tool's curse isn't set in stone, but can sometimes change or grow stronger due to either time, from being used (thus receiving more curses and negative feelings) or a strong outside influence. Whether the curse affects the owner mentally (like Abyss,) increasingly encourages behavior the owner would normally not consider (Carnival Cooker) or causes strong urges and/or uncontrollable actions on the Cursed Tool's mentality (one of the Cursed Swords that appears has a curse that builds up a desire to see fresh blood which also affects the owner as well.)
- Land Fisher's cursed oar, for example, required her to splash water on herself at least once an hour or die. As time passes the delay will get shorter and shorter and eventually get to the point where she'd have to stay in water continuously or die. A doll's curse changed from making the owner love it and then killing the owner when the owner's love reached a certain level to wanting to be hugged due to Fear and the others' intervention. Although still cursed the curse no longer causes harm or death.
- Due to the large number curses and negative emotions absorbed a Cursed Tool will remain a Cursed Tool for centuries, (especially if used to create more victims thereby receiving more curses and negative feelings,) unless it spends time in an area full of Positive Energy, like Haruaki's home which is the focal point of the area's enormous amount of Positive Energy, or (if they have human form) performing good deeds earning praise and thanks from people. Kuroe, for example, was able to free herself of her curse by becoming a top class hairdresser and running her own business earning lots of praise, thanks and good feelings from her customers and the owners of the nearby businesses. So much so that the other business owners go out of their way to help her with various things and occasionally ask her for help too. How much time is needed in the Positive Energy or how much thanks and good feelings needs to be accumulated varies between Cursed Tools and can take years, if not decades, to completely remove a Tool's curse. However, even after the curse is removed the Cursed Tool will still have the traits it had as a tool, but any urges will be by choice and personality, not forced by a curse. Such as a non-ageing appearance, neither able to appear to gain or lose weight eating food (although for some eating is by choice and not required at all,) and characteristics of their True Form. So Kuroe, who is no longer cursed, doesn't age, is able to extend/retract/control her hair, and no longer is forced to drain people's Life Energy with her hair, but is able to absorb or send Life Energy through her hair by choice.
- Tragic Black River for example, was used by various serial killers and was cursed by its victims. This gave it the ability to extend its reach, bind someone on command, and do anything a person could do with it on its own like a snake or tentacle. However, its curse will push its owner to let it bind, break and strangle someone until the curse is satisfied, regardless of the owner's feelings. All the owner can do is select which target the tool can satisfy itself on. Trying to avoid satisfying the curse just burdens the owner more and more and deteriorating their health until they either give in or die. However, it has yet to show a human form and the only signs of sentience it shows is its ability to bind on command and acting on its own to torture a victim to satisfy its curse.
- Humanoid Form - After receiving numerous curses a Cursed Tool not only gains awareness and a sense of self, but a human form with minor differences based on what type of tool they are. What determines the form is unknown but it can be male or female, old or young, white, black or any color humans have. Konoha can, at will, give parts of or her entire body the properties of a blade making that part as hard as steel and able to cut anything. Fear (not at will) retains her weight as a Cube so despite looking small she weighs quite a bit more than a human of similar size. In general the human form for any Cursed Tool can do everything a human does such as eat, drink, bleed, get drunk, etc. and theoretically can sire/bear kids. However, they don't age, don't gain or lose weight, have better night vision, and can stay up for days without sleeping, although they will eventually get tired. Whether their hair grows normally, grows back to original length if cut, or stays cut for the rest of their lives if cut is unknown. Whether eating is necessary or by preference is unknown, but breathing is required to stay conscious. So when Fear stayed underwater too long she didn't drown, but became unconscious until a short time after being pulled out..
- Wathe - Sometimes referred to as a Wrong. Name used to refer to the True Form of a Cursed Tool that was intentionally created to be carried and wielded by a Human. Konoha, for example, has the True Form of a sword and could be considered a Wathe when Haruaki is carrying and wielding her while in that form. Fear's True Form is that of a heavy 2"(?) steel cube, but has never been referred to as a Wathe when like that, just as her True Form. Being a Wathe doesn't mean a Tool has a human form, awareness, much less personal desire to be useful, just that it's a Cursed Tool's True Form.
- Indulgence Disk - Called an Intelligence Disk in the Anime. An object which somehow manages to weaken or partially seal the curse of a Cursed Tool. However, the disks can't negate the curse completely so while the curse still remains the "price" required or effects of the curse is suppressed completely for weak curses, and only to some degree for strong curses while retaining abilities as a Cursed Tool. So for a strong curse that requires the owner to 'shed blood' a disk may allow the owner to just feel an slowly increasing urge to shed blood or have more control on who, where and when they shed blood to satisfy the curse without shedding the blood of any poor nearby soul or themselves like a berserker. Where they come from, how they're made, much less how they work is mostly unknown. What has been revealed is that Fear has slots for them in her cube form and that the ones out in the world, such as the ones used by the Knights, originally came from her. Although just putting the Disk against a Cursed Tool won't have any effect, it needs some kind of device or "connector" to connect and hold the two together. Fear doesn't know much about the Disks since this was before she gained consciousness and memory so she doesn't remember anything about them other than how to install them into her cube form. Although they seem to have a vague "pull" towards each other and somehow are managing to keep popping up near Fear who has several disks. When inserted back into her cube form, which has prepared slots inside for the disks, they seal off one of the 32 torture tools she has access to. The tool will remain sealed off as long as the disks are in her, even if she goes berserk. The Knights use them to make the Cursed Tools they use more manageable.
- Frontline Gathering Knights' Dominion - aka Battlefront Collection Knights. An organization of insane zealots who believe Cursed Tools are a threat to mankind and to be destroyed by any means no matter what (or who) is sacrificed. The Ends justify any and all Means. For example, the Knight known as "Isolater" was going to use a Cursed Tool that could make Gu poison 'clones' to fight with, but needed to kill the originals under certain circumstances to create the clones. This is partially due to many of the Knights having experienced severe trauma as a result of Cursed Tools. Peavey, for example, saw her parents die and almost died herself because of a cursed whip her father brought home. So if a Knight wants to use a Cursed Tool to destroy other Cursed Tools, even if s/he needs to murder people to use the Tool, its ok as long as Cursed Tools are destroyed and any poor innocent bystanders who are sacrificed (murdered,) or 'accidentally' killed in the crossfire is ok too. One of the knights Haruaki's group encounters is an extreme sadist who was going to be allowed to torture, maim, and possibly kill dozens of girls just because it will allow him to reveal a particular target that is "believed" to be hiding among them. However, most knights who use Cursed Tools have some kind of suicide mechanism installed called «Euthanasia» which will destroy the Cursed Tool if it doesn't return the Knights for resetting after a certain amount of time. This is to prevent Tools from rebelling, being stolen, or just leaving the Knights' control in general. Whatever insane hobbies, sadistic temperaments, warped methods, or sick personalities a Knight has doesn't matter to the organization, what matters is just how well they destroy Cursed Tools. Although its 'encouraged' to avoid public displays/battles and mass death unless the plan is approved by the higher ups. In most cases a Knight finds and destroys Cursed Tools alone with occasional orders to go to a specific place after a specific Tool or Enemy. On rare occasions a Tool or Enemy is considered too dangerous to handle alone so a team of several Knights is formed with the title being the number of the occasion followed by the last names of the group leader and vice-leader. Until Volume 11 in the Light Novels there had only been 86 occasions where a group was formed in the history of the Knights. While Knights usually fight alone, some do have a helper called an auxiliary whose only role is to provide support for the Knight, usually by using minor Cursed Tools, but don't have any combat training or ability. Its common for auxiliaries to be treated as subhuman by Knights due to their using Cursed Tools and unable to destroy Cursed Tools themselves. So a Knight is allowed to abuse or even kill their auxiliaries however they want as long as they manage to destroy Tools. Degree and range of influence in government officials, police, and media is unknown. However, considering there wasn't any news or warrants out for Peavey after smashing up the school roof is an indicator. Current numbers are unknown but are still active and strong.
- Lab Chief Yamimagari Pakuaki's Nation - An organization whose sole purpose is to solve mysteries making the unknown known. Cursed Tools are considered the most mysterious and most important things to understand. Research is the most important thing, not methods, morals, or anything as long as the researcher doesn't take direct action or get involved. The head and highest ranked person is Kirika's older brother who calls himself Yamimagari Pakuaki instead of by his real name. Its suggested that he might have been involved with their father's death and is definitely responsible for Kirika wearing the cursed bondage suit. Also, he mentions during a time Kirika had an arm severed that even if she didn't connect the original arm back, that tests had proven that a new one would grow back but would take longer than reattaching the old one. As the suit doesn't block pain this means he deliberately inflicted extreme pain on his own sister just to test the suit. Like the Knights they're rather loose on morals and ethics on conducting research and experiments. However, their brand of insanity is a little more sane in that they're more into research and observing than fighting or getting getting involved directly. For example, Kirika's partner, Himura, in observing Haruaki and Konoka deliberately let Sovereign free solely to observe how Fear would react regardless of how many students were hospitalized after being drained. Also, when Pakuaki chastised Himura, it wasn't because of Himura's shenanigans, or because he released a prisoner, and the fact that Himura was obsessed with Kirika is trivial. It was because he left out several things in his reports that should have been reported and tried to have an extremely interesting research subject, Haruaki (because he's somehow immune to curses among other things,) killed. As for the rest it went unpunished due to Himura being an excellent researcher and being the source of a whole bunch of new unknowns. Degree and range of influence in government officials, police, and media is unknown. Current numbers are unknown but are still active and strong.
- Draconians - Organization whose members want to be the strongest existences. None have ever achieved that of what they consider the strongest existence, which is the <<Dragon>>. Although whether the <<Dragon>> actually exists as no one (much less a Draconian) has ever seen, talked to or made any contact with it whatsoever, or if it's just the concept of the strongest existence to the Draconians is unknown. All Recognized human members have a tattoo, called a Wound, somewhere on their body as proof of being a member. How the spot is chosen is unknown but the Wound has a black Hexagon shape with a white dragon with wings curled inside. Although for some reason in the Light Novels the description says that tattoo looks like it's imitating Dragon Scales but the picture they provided has an entire dragon. Non-recognized members who have yet to prove themselves don't get a Wound. Highest ranked members get a Wound corresponding to a dragon's body part, so the 4th strongest member, for example, would get a Wound looking like dragon fangs and be called the Draconian's <<Jaws>>. Cursed Tools, even if they have achieved a Human Form and are members don't get tattoos.
- Any and all means to become the strongest is accepted. Whether its using Wathes, using plots, subterfuge, lies, stealing techniques, creating new techniques, gaining trust and trampling all over it, inhumane methods, etc. is allowed if it allows one to get stronger. Rank is determined through duels, whether with other members or opponents outside the organization. So a member could gain rank by fighting a Knight who has been determined to be strong, but lose rank with the loss of the fight as well. The organization is more like a pack of lone wolves with the same desire as there can only be one strongest. So getting info, aide, or help from other members can be a mixture of politics, subterfuge, force, threats, or just respect of a higher ranked figure. Whether lower ranked members have to obey a high ranked member based just on rank is unknown, but more likely its simple self-preservation as the higher ranked member would most likely either beat them into submission or brutally kill them as an example for others. Current numbers are unknown but are still active and strong. Headquarters is an island called Dragon Island whose location is only known by members. Degree and range of influence in government officials, police, and media is unknown but apparently more than enough to keep Dragon Island a secret and off maps.
- The Bivorio Family - aka The Family. Headquarters is the church Abyss was in and where Alice grew up before becoming Abyss' owner. Abyss' previous owners included devil worshipers who sacrificed babies to him, and the most recent was a priest who adopted children to sell as slaves, although since Alice was his favorite he never sold her. The Family is considered one of the most insane and illogical of the various organizations dealing with Cursed Tools as it is composed of individuals who were 'saved' by Cursed Tools. They want to get to know, talk with, drink tea with, and completely affirm Cursed Tools. They believe that Cursed Tools are existences that 'transcend' humans and their curses are to be affirmed, not something to be removed or considered a burden. If a curse forces a Tool to kill, drive mad, or hurt others it is something to be indulged in happily and not reviled or constrained. As for those killed, driven insane or hurt they are to joyfully offer their all for Cursed Tools. A person can't become part of the Family unless they're willing to sacrifice their lives to Cursed Tools if need be. Standard uniform seems to be a nun's habit for the women, and priestly attire for men. When trying to acquire Cursed Tools, especially ones who have achieved human form, numerous methods are used to politely invite them to join the Family. Which can be anything from a casual greeting and invite, to kidnapping (gently without force), or sacrificing members or supporters in the area to show commitment. No direct force or harm is to be used on Cursed Tools, although any humans who get are killed in the area are considered valiant sacrifices. The founder, Matriarch of the Bivorio family, and aka Miss Fanatic is Alice Bivorio Basskreigh. She's a beautiful woman, seems to be in her twenties, wears a monocle, and numerous watches over both arms. Due to <<Narrow Narrow Abyss>>' (aka the Patriarch) curse she has no conscience whatsoever and therefore no restraint in doing anything to accomplish her goals. So cutting up and eating supporters, or sending members on suicide missions don't bother her at all. Seems Abyss used his powers to 'convert' various members by taking away certain memories and their consciences. However, once Alice was no longer Abyss' owner she become overwrought with guilt and wants Fear to torture her to an extremely slow and painful death as punishment for her crimes. After Volume 5 only a few members are still alive, mostly inactive, have lost any Cursed Tools they possessed, and trying to pick up the pieces of their lives without Cursed Tools while getting all the surviving members together. Degree and range of influence in government officials, police, and media is unknown but was most likely negligible before Volume 5, if any, and disappeared or 'died' after volume 5.
|01||September 10, 2007||ISBN 978-4-8402-3975-2|
|02||January 10, 2008||ISBN 978-4-8402-4143-4|
|03||April 10, 2008||ISBN 978-4-04-867023-4|
|04||August 10, 2008||ISBN 978-4-04-867178-1|
|05||December 10, 2008||ISBN 978-4-04-867422-5|
|06||March 10, 2009||ISBN 978-4-04-867597-0|
|07||July 10, 2009||ISBN 978-4-04-867899-5|
|08||November 10, 2009||ISBN 978-4-04-868143-8|
|09||March 10, 2010||ISBN 978-4-04-868397-5|
|10||September 10, 2010||ISBN 978-4-04-868879-6|
|11||April 10, 2011||ISBN 978-4-04-870421-2|
|12||October 10, 2011||ISBN 978-4-04-870957-6|
|13||December 10, 2011||ISBN 978-4-04-886246-2|
|14||July 10, 2012||ISBN 978-4-04-886707-8|
|15||October 10, 2012||ISBN 978-4-04-886982-9|
|16||March 10, 2013||ISBN 978-4-04-891433-8|
|17||June 7, 2013||ISBN 978-4-04-891677-6|
An anime television adaptation of C³ was announced in the April 2011 issue of ASCII Media Works's Dengeki AnimeStyle pamphlet. The series was produced by StarChild and Silver Link under the direction of Shin Ōnuma with Michiko Yokote as script supervisor. The opening theme song for the 8 first episodes is "Endless Story" performed by Yukari Tamura and the ending theme song is "Hana" (雪華?, "Snow Flower") performed by Eri Kitamura. From episode 9 onwards, the opening theme is "Shirushi" (紋?, "Sign") by Eri Kitamura and the ending theme is "Sympathy of Love" by Yukari Tamura. Funimation licensed the series in North America.
|01||"I don’t know what moved into my futon"
"Futon ni Utsuru Mono o Shiranai" (布団に移るものを知らない)
|October 1, 2011|
|The story begins when a high school student named Yachi Haruaki receives a mysterious, super-heavy blue cube from his father overseas. That night, Haruaki wakes up to a suspicious noise in the kitchen, and he discovers a fully naked female thief of rice crackers. The girl in question, named Fear, tells him that she is a cursed tool.|
|02||"Where, What, Something"
"Doko ni, Nani o, Nani ka" (どこに、なにを、なにか)
|October 8, 2011|
|The episode starts with Fear opening a box Containing several items. Haruaki tells her that she is going to be transferred to Haruaki's school together with Haruaki and Konoha, much to Konoha's disdain. Fear's appearance immediately starts an uproar in the school. After letting the entire class in on the fact she knows Haruaki, he gets questioned as to the relationship between the two. Fear, on the other hand, deals with several clubs trying to pressure her into joining them. After school ends, Fear reflects on the hectic first day, and along with Haruaki and Konoha, decides to take a detour to a lookout point by the ocean. A happy moment there turns dangerous when they are attacked by Peavey Barowoi, a sadistic woman from an organization dedicated to exterminating the cursed tools, specifically Fear in Cube.|
|03||"The Antinomy of Their Temperatures"
"Karera no Ondo no Niritsuhaihan" (彼らの温度の二律背反)
|October 15, 2011|
|Fear loses control in the fight with Peavey Barowoi and attacks Haruaki. Feeling that she has been foolish to believe that she could actually lift her curse she runs away and attempts to kill herself. Meanwhile, Konoha tends Haruaki's wound and reminds him what it was like for her adjusting to being human and coming to terms with both her good and evil sides. Fear, on the other hand, is caught wandering through town by Ueno, who she attacks blindly in an alleyway before coming to her senses and fleeing. After several hours of searching, Haruaki manages to find Fear after she has jumped into the ocean during a storm and carries her home on his back, explaining to her that she is welcome to stay with him no matter what and that he truly believes she can lift her curse. Because of this, he will put up with her selfishness. Later, an incident in the bath provokes Konoha into moving in with Haruaki.|
|04||"At Night, a Mother and a Hugging Pillow"
"Yoru ni wa Hahaoya to Dakimakura o" (夜には母親と抱き枕を)
|October 22, 2011|
|Mummy Maker comes to the house to strike a deal with Haruaki, Konoha and Fear while Kirika is there. She promises to return at noon the following day to destroy Fear, and that they have until then to decide.. Konoha, however, instructs Fear not fight because she is too dangerous. Meanwhile, a vengeful Peavey decides enough is enough and unveils a massive axe Wathe named "Dance Time." By viciously slaughtering Mummy Maker after learning of her offer, Peavey activates Dance Time's curse (The user won't stop fighting with the axe until the enemy is dead even if the user dies). When Peavey shows up Haruaki and Konoha go up against her alone until Fear, sidelined by Konoha's demand, exclaims that she is "very selfish" and enters the fight.|
|05||"Even If I'm Cursed"
"Tatoe Norowarete mo" (たとえ呪われても)
|October 29, 2011|
|The three friends retreat into the house to give Haruaki some time to rest. They are unaware that Kirika has come to visit so she falls hostage to Peavey. With teamwork, the trio manages to back Peavey into a corner, but she manages to slaughter Kirika before Haruaki can stop her. However, Kirika manages to survive the attack and uses a cursed tool in her possession to help finish off a shocked Peavey. As Peavey fears her own death, she cries out for an auxiliary from the Organization, specifically Mummy Maker, but then realizes that there is no one to help because she herself killed Mummy Maker. Fear promptly breaks her only arm using her Crushing Frankish Kingdom Punishment Wheel configuration, leaving her unconscious. At the end of the episode Kirika reveals to them that she is in possession of two cursed tools against her will: Ginstrnags Love, which ensures that she will never die in return for her heart (meaning that she can never take it off), and "The River of Black Strings", an extendable black ribbon that curses its owner with an insatiable desire to kill others.|
|06||"Weak, Like a Spherical Glass"
"Kyūkei Garasu ni Nite Zeijaku na" (球形硝子に似て脆弱な)
|November 5, 2011|
|Superintendent Gabriel calls Yachi, Fear and Konoha to look for a lost cursed tool that was in the form of a doll. He assigns them this task after several students in the school suffered strange illnesses after encounters with this doll. Eventually, the trio tracks down Sovereignty, the Wathe responsible for the situation inside of the sewing room. However, before the group manages to catch her with the help of Shiraho, Sovereignty escapes into the night. Later, Shiraho, Fear, and Haruaki discuss what Sovereignty may do next, and hope to convince her to try and break her curse with Haruaki's help. Haruaki by chance encounters Sovereignty again, and attempts to convince her to live at his house and break her curse to no avail.|
|07||"Not Reflected in the Eyes of a Seer"
"Yokensha no Me ni Utsuranai" (予見者の眼に映らない)
|November 12, 2011|
|Konoha becomes the next victim of Sovereignty. As she recovers in Haruaki's house, Konoha creates an awkward moment when she grabs Haruaki and pulls him into her futon with his hand on her breasts. Startled, Haruaki manages to slip out when she falls asleep, only to end up in an even more embarrassing situation. Meanwhile, Kirika becomes angry because Haruaki is keeping information from her and trying to keep her completely uninvolved due to his promise to treat her "normally" as a classmate and student and not someone who knows about Cursed Tools or part of a secret organization. After Konoha recovers they investigate the situation further. After Shiraho disappears as well, the four students (Ueno insists on getting involved) ask the school nurse for Shiraho's address who hands them the file. Upon looking at Shiraho's file, it is discovered that the Shiraho they knew had lied about numerous things. Afraid they are running out of time, the four friends rush to Shiraho's residence only to find their suspicions confirmed. Sovereignty, suffering from its curse, has pinned Shiraho to a wall with one of its blades. Fear and Ueno force Sovereignty off Shiraho, but things only get worse when Sovereignty unwillingly rushes Haruaki with the blade instead. Ueno takes the blow, however, and Sovereignty flees in a terrified state. The group is left with Shiraho, who explains that Sovereignty's true curse is that the owner will fall in love with him/her, before being dying by Sovereignty's blades when the Killing Organ within Sovereignty detects a certain level of love. The reason for Sovereignty attacking others becomes clear as well.|
|08||"Like an Inescapable Curse"
"Nogareenu Noroi no yō na" (逃れ得ぬ呪いのような)
|November 19, 2011|
|After Shiraho tells the story of how she met Sovereignty, Fear, Konoha and Ueno devise a plan to put an end to the issue. Since Sovereignty carries a phone thanks to Shiraho, Fear calls it, and sadistically claims she will torture Shiraho to death if Sovereignty does not confront her at Shiraho's house. When the time arrives, Fear goes mad and viciously fights Sovereignty along with Ueno while a dumbfounded Haruaki (who wasn't told anything about the plan) has Konoha's blade form at Shiraho's throat. Eventually, Fear and Konoha manage to change Sovereignty's curse through extreme means allowing Shiraho and Sovereignty to fulfill a dream of theirs. Later, after getting called down to the Superintendent's office, Shiraho is absolved from any wrongdoing while Sovereignty is made into Zenon's assistant/maid (in female mode, of course). Fear also obtains another Indulgence Disc from Sovereignty that was apparently embedded in the Killing Organ.|
|09||"The Returnee Seems Somehow Strange"
"Kikansha wa Dokoka Fushigi na" (帰還者は何処か不思議な)
|November 26, 2011|
|While Fear is home alone practicing her dance for the athletic festival, Haruaki and Konoha are out shopping. After a few frustrated failures, Fear storms inside only to discover a spider is lurking in the house. As Fear tries to hunt it, a large creature captures her causing her to scream. Haruaki hears and rushes in only to find Fear being suspended in the air by the hair of a former lodger at his house, Kuroe Ningyouhara. After an awkward reconciliation, Kuroe explains that she came back to town deciding she will open up her old hair salon. Kuroe also reveals she has been targeted by a strange group, which is met with the timely arrival of Alice. Alice introduces herself as a member of the Vivolio Families, stating she simply wants to invite Kuroe to stay with her. Upon recognizing Fear in Cube, however, Alice shifts to trying to get her to join instead of Kuroe. Fear promptly rejects, causing Alice to take her leave. As she leaves the grounds, Alice declares she'll try to invite Fear to the Vivolio Families once more. Meanwhile, Ueno discovers that her partner from the research organization is responsible for releasing Sovereignty and causing the incident. Later that day Haruaki and company hand out flyers announcing the reopening of Kuroe's hair salon. As the group hands out flyers, Haruaki explains to Fear that Kuroe managed to break her curse when she discovered she had a natural talent for hair styling. As the store readies to reopen, a crowd of onlookers and Kuroe's fans show up, all giving gifts to the town's idol including Zenon, Shiraho and Sovereignty. As customers begin to flow into the store, Haruaki, Fear and Konoha begin helping out. As the day winds down, Alice returns to the shop just to get her hair styled by Kuroe. However, as she leaves the store, she announces to the group: "I'm the culprit."|
|10||"The Sadist is Nowhere to be Found"
"Shigyakusha wa Doko ni mo Inai" (嗜虐者は何処にもいない)
|December 3, 2011|
|In the middle of the night, Kirika is woken by a phone call from her partner Himura. He informs her that she is not to get involved with the Vivolio Families, which Kirika questions. The next day, Fear is out practicing for the Athletic Festival when she gets frustrated again and starts arguing with Konoha again. Kuroe chimes in, mocking Konoha's large breasts and leading Fear to form the "Ladyboob" Alliance in order to antagonize her. The argument ends, however, when the group hears news of a murder in town. Later at school, Fear overhears Taizo and Haruaki talking about the murder, when Taizo explains that the victim was crushed into the shape of a box. This unnerves Fear, who later explains that this may be Alice's way of trying to force Fear to join the Vivolio Families. Haruaki and company track her down to a diner, but Alice refuses to divulge anything as to the crime and leaves. Fear, Haruaki and Konoha promptly give chase, leading the two to an abandoned house. After a two minute battle in which Alice unveils the cursed tool "Carnival Cooker", she tears down the house on the trio. Konoha cuts her way out of the rubble while Fear protects Haruaki inside of her Brazen Bull configuration, the Howling Steel Ox. The next day, Fear goes to request Ueno's help in tracking Alice, but before she can ask Ueno politely declines. Shortly afterwards, while Haruaki and Ueno are working on paper work for the Athletic Festival Ueno collapses and a panicking Haruaki carries her to the infirmary. Ueno wakes up shortly after and against Haruaki's insistence to stay in bed asks to head back home. Nurse Ganon arranges for a taxi to take them back, where Ueno invites Haruaki inside. In her house, Haruaki asks if Kirika is hiding anything from him and says that it is OK to tell him since the two are "partners" in Haruaki's opinion. The request moves Ueno, who promptly asks Haruaki to watch what she has been "blackmailed" to do. Meanwhile, Fear runs out to Kuroe's salon, only to find a very suspicious situation. Going back to Ueno and Haruaki, Ueno takes off her school uniform and asks a speechless Haruaki to watch as she painfully strangles herself and breaks several bones in her body with her River of Black Strings. After a short while, Ueno is revived by Ginastronte's Love, and explains to Haruaki that River of Black Strings forces its user to injure others. However, Kirika satisfies the curse by what she calls "a repulsive form of playing alone". Haruaki then compliments her kindness, saying Ueno truly cares about her friends by letting herself suffer this way. Haruaki then asks Ueno if she will give River of Black Strings to him instead, as the curse won't affect him. Ueno refuses, claiming that she'd be a "useless immortal" without it. Haruaki accepts this reason, and promptly leaves with a kind goodbye. Ueno then blushes, happy that Haruaki is kind enough to understand and accept her even though what her curses do to her. Later that night, Haruaki finds Fear outside of one of the appliance stores watching the news. As another murder is revealed on TV, Fear explains that the victims were both customers at Kuroe's salon. This prompts Fear to implicate Kuroe as the culprit.|
|11||"The Fanatic is Somewhere"
"Kyōshinja wa Dokoka ni Iru" (狂信者は何処かにいる)
|December 10, 2011|
|Ueno shows at the Yaichi residence, finally deciding to get involved with the situation. She begins breaking down the information that the group knows so far. However, Fear interrupts and pins the murders on Kuroe due to suspicion and runs off to her room when Haruaki interjects. Ueno promptly asks Kuroe for an explanation, to which she states that she knew the hair was of the deceased and ate it both in spirit of mourning the dead and also to replenish her special abilities. Shortly afterward, Alice returns and lures Fear and Konoha outside, while Ueno, Haruaki and Kuroe are still in the house. Ueno immediately figures out Alice was splitting the group up, and is proven correct when Alice renders Kuroe immobile with her Beautiful-Suicide Mirror, and kidnaps the three of them with a blade to Haruaki's neck. Alice later explains in a video message to Fear that her only wish is to become Fear's family to her, a being that isn't even human. Declaring all Wathe as "Transcendental", Alice exclaims that Wathe and their curses are above humans and that its OK for them to satisfy their curses on them. Alice then reveals that all those who had died are actually members of the Vivolio Families, which was the point in common. Ueno then asks as to why parts of their corpses were removed, to which Alice reveals Carnival Cooker forces its user to eat anyone they kill, making Alice a cannibal. Upon the video's end, Fear and Konoha immediately refuse Alice's offer. Suddenly a bruised and cut up Ueno is heard crashing through the glass. It is revealed that her partner from the lab snuck in and saved Kirika using a Wathe called "He in the Bastille", a spiked helmet that causes the wearer to become practically unnoticeable in any way. Himura then tasers a visibly angered Ueno and takes her from Alice. When Kirika wakes up in Himura's car, she questions Himura's role only for him to explain that the whole situation is observe only for him, as he cares more about research. Kirika retorts, complaining that she feels like just a tool, prompting Himura to agree and accept that fact. Kirika finally snaps at this, declaring she's fed up with the Laboratory Emirate and forces Himura to crash his car. As Ueno finishes her explanation to Fear and Konoha as to what happened, she asks what they think of Haruaki's powers. Dumbfounded, the two girls think at first it is his personality and cooking prowess, only for Ueno to laugh and say it is his friends.|
|12||"The Transcendentals are Everywhere"
"Chōetsusha wa Dokonidemo Iru" (超越者は何処にでもいる)
|December 17, 2011|
Fear, Konoha and Ueno finally confront Alice, and a vicious battle between the groups ensues. Alice easily holds off Fear and Konoha, while a distraught Haruaki decides enough is enough and pulls his hands through the handcuffs causing him to bleed profusely. Haruaki then carries the still immobile Kuroe off, asking her to heal him after the fight ends. Haruaki reunites with the rest of the group, causing Alice to get irritated by his escape and the fact she's outnumbered. Alice then states she'll level the playing field, which Fear calls as a bluff. Alice retorts, saying she has something that turns "bluffs into reality." She pulls out her Sucicidal-Beautification Mirror and explains its three uses: To make the user beautiful, to render a person immobile, and to create polarized clones of the user that last for ten minutes each. Alice activates the latter, and creates more than a dozen clones of herself. Fear, thinking the clones will vanish if she destroys the mirror, rushes the original with her Human Body Perforation Drill configuration, only for one of the clones to intercept it and take the blow, much to Fear's horror. As the blood spills from the clone's body, Konoha's hemophilia kicks in, causing her to turn away. Fear, on the other hand, almost goes insane again because she caused the death of a human again. Alice tries to push this further with the torment until Kirika attacks Alice. Alice counters, however and immobilizes Kirika after slicing her abdomen. Taking notice of her Wathe's abilities, Alice shoves her hand inside the wound and begins squeezing her organs, much to Haruaki's horror. He promptly takes Konoha's sword form and rushes Alice, but gets overwhelmed and thrown aside. At this point, Shiraho and Sovereignty appear, with the latter using her abilities to throw Kuroe into Alice's Mirror, breaking it and undoing Kuroe's immobilization. Kuroe follows up and uses her hair to capture the remaining clones, allowing Fear to continue her battle with Alice. Frustrated with this development, Alice asks Fear if she knew how much love she had for Fear. Fear retorts, saying that hurting Haruaki and making her kill a clone of her was too much and promptly disavows Alice's love for the way she used to be. Claiming that thanks to Haruaki that she could become human Fear declares this as her reason to go on living, leaving Alice unable to comprehend it all. Haruaki uses this as a distraction and promptly breaks Carnival Cooker with Konoha's sword form. With this, Fear summons one of her largest configurations she has, Configuration Number 29: Choking Sacred Image, Steel Virgin Mary. Declaring that she wants to be human, Fear activates the Iron Maiden and entraps Alice in it. As Alice is pulled into the Steel Virgin Mary, she asks why she would become a weak, foolish human. Fear responds, claiming Alice is right, but states that she wants to be happy like humans as well. Fear exclaims for that reason, she sees humans as the true Transcendentals. As the doors close on the Iron Maiden, Alice tearfully screams, saying "humans didn't save me then...what saved me then was...that's why even the idea that humans are transcendental is..." before getting shut into the Iron Maiden. As the sun rises, a battered and cut Alice has her back to the ocean. Stating that they should almost be here, Alice jumps off into the sea, only to get caught by a passerby in a boat. Fear, seeing this, fires off one last attack to stop her along with Kuroe, but both attacks are intercepted by the Wathe who is onboard. The Wathe, Abyss, tells Fear that even though they fought Alice truly loves her. Abyss also reveals that two Indulgence Disks are in Carnival Cooker and the Suicidal Beautification Mirror, respectively, and Fear can have them.The next day, Haruaki is sipping tea while Fear is practicing her dance routines again, this time with Ueno's help. As Haruaki lays down, Kuroe appears and reprimands Haruaki for shoving "you know what" into Fear. This embarrasses Haruaki and irritates Ueno and Konoha as well. Haruaki, afraid of going on the subject further, asks why Kuroe isn't working at her shop. Kuroe explains that she had some errands to run, and promptly hands Fear, Konoha and Haruaki their pay for handing out flyers. Fear is hesitant at first, but takes it after Kuroe insists. An argument between Konoha and Fear ensues over how much they were paid, with Fear getting a 500 yen coin and Konoha getting 5,000 yen. Kuroe apparently held back Fear's actual pay as a joke(?), but hands her 5,000 yen after her reaction. Ueno then takes off her track suit exposing Ginastrointe's Love, complaining about the heat. This causes Haruaki to make an unexpected comment, embarrassing Ueno. Regardless, the three girls keep up the dance practice.
- "C3 -シーキューブ-". ASCII Media Works. Retrieved September 7, 2011.
- "C3 -シーキューブ- II". ASCII Media Works. Retrieved September 7, 2011.
- "C3 -シーキューブ- III". ASCII Media Works. Retrieved September 7, 2011.
- "C3 -シーキューブ- IV". ASCII Media Works. Retrieved September 7, 2011.
- "C3 -シーキューブ- V". ASCII Media Works. Retrieved September 7, 2011.
- "C3 -シーキューブ- VI". ASCII Media Works. Retrieved September 7, 2011.
- "C3 -シーキューブ- VII". ASCII Media Works. Retrieved September 7, 2011.
- "C3 -シーキューブ- VIII". ASCII Media Works. Retrieved September 7, 2011.
- "C3 -シーキューブ- IX". ASCII Media Works. Retrieved September 7, 2011.
- "C3 -シーキューブ- X". ASCII Media Works. Retrieved September 7, 2011.
- "C3 -シーキューブ- XI". ASCII Media Works. Retrieved September 7, 2011.
- "C3 -シーキューブ- XII". ASCII Media Works. Retrieved December 3, 2011.
- "C3 -シーキューブ- XIII". ASCII Media Works. Retrieved December 3, 2011.
- "C3 -シーキューブ- XIV". ASCII Media Works. Retrieved July 14, 2012.
- "C3 -シーキューブ- XV". ASCII Media Works. Retrieved January 24, 2013.
- "C3 -シーキューブ- XVI episode CLOSE／the first part". ASCII Media Works. Retrieved March 20, 2013.
- "C3 -シーキューブ- XVII episode CLOSE／the last part". ASCII Media Works. Retrieved June 7, 2013.
- "Hazuki Minase's C³ (C Cube) Light Novel Series Gets Anime". Anime News Network. April 4, 2011. Retrieved September 7, 2011.
- "C3". StarChild. Retrieved September 7, 2011.
- "Episodes Page (C³)". Funimation. Archived from the original on December 31, 2011. Retrieved December 31, 2011.
- "Starchild:C3-シーキューブ- (Story)" (in Japanese). Archived from the original on December 31, 2011. Retrieved December 15, 2011.
- "C3-シーキューブ-" (in Japanese). Web Newtype. Archived from the original on October 1, 2011. Retrieved October 2, 2011.
- "番組表:C3 -シーキューブ-" [Program Guide: C3 -C Cubed-] (in Japanese). Web Newtype. Archived from the original on October 26, 2011. Retrieved November 15, 2011.