|This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2012)|
|Release date(s)||Between 1997 and 2001|
|Mode(s)||Single player, multiplayer|
The creator of C-Dogs, Ronny Wester, released the precursor to C-Dogs, Cyberdogs, in 1994. The popularity of Cyberdogs and the limitations of its 16-bit protected mode motivated Wester to write a sequel, which was released between the years 1997 to 2001.
After Wester released the source code release in 2002, Jeremy Chin and Lucas Martin-King ported the game to SDL and released their work under the GPL as "C-Dogs SDL". As of June 2007, Wester no longer maintains a website for C-Dogs, but the game continues to live on via the "C-Dogs SDL" project, available now for many platforms.
C-Dogs made changes and improvements on the original Cyberdogs game mechanics. The single-player/cooperative gameplay is separated into campaigns, each comprising many missions. Usually, each level involves the player(s) killing enemies (while avoiding harming civilians and team mates) using a variety of pre-selected weapons; collecting keys to unlock special rooms; and picking up required items to fulfill the mission objectives.
The "dog fight" gameplay is the typical deathmatch: players attempt to kill each other for points, in order to gain victory. Only two players can verse each other, by sitting at the same computer and using the keyboard, joysticks or gamepads.
The open source port contains a number of enhancements to the original C-Dogs, including high-resolution support, and local multi-player up to 4 players.
- Web Archive of Ronny Wester's official site for C-Dogs which is dead as of June, 2007
Ports and remakes
- C-Dogs SDL - Port of C-Dogs to SDL
- C-Dogs SDL fork - Updated fork of C-Dogs SDL
- C-Dogs - Google Play Store
- C-Dogs2X - C-Dogs SDL for the GP2X
- C-Dogs2X - C-Dogs SDL for the Dingoo
- cdogsPSP - C-Dogs SDL for the PlayStation Portable
- C-Dogs SDL DC - C-Dogs SDL for the Dreamcast
- C-DogsDS - C-Dogs SDL for the Nintendo DS
- C-DogsSDL_Wii - C-Dogs SDL for the Wii
- aminet.net - C-Dogs SDL for Amiga OS
- AnotherGuest - C-Dogs SDL for UIQ3 devices such as SE M600 P1i P990 and Motorola RIZR Z8