Anthony John Confessore (1969–2012), better known as C.C. Banana, was a music personality, known for conducting interviews for Metal Sludge while wearing a large yellow banana costume. Banana was profiled by such publications as Classic Rock Magazine, The Aquarian and the New York Press and was a recurring guest on Sirius satellite radio.
The name was "C.C. Banana" was inspired by Poison guitarist C.C. DeVille, who was charging fans money for autographs, photos, and handshakes at a 2001 Poison concert Confessore attended. At the concert Confessore, then unknown, decided to do the same, while wearing a banana costume that was in the back of his friend's car.
He continued wearing the banana costume, sometimes modifying it. For interviews with Star Wars personalities, C.C. Banana donned a Jedi robe and calls himself "Bananakin Skywalker." When conducting himself within the Kiss community, he often dressed as original Kiss guitarist Ace Frehley and referred to himself as "Ace Peeley."
In 2007, he appeared on the Sci Fi Channel reality series "Who Wants to Be a Superhero?." In 2008, he was a featured guest on the weekly Fuse TV series "Talking Metal On Fuse." Later in 2008, he appeared on the Kiss tribute album "KISS MY ANKH: A Tribute To Vinnie Vincent," for which he recorded a parody of the Kiss song "Unholy," rewritten as a roast of Danger Danger vocalist Ted Poley. The parody also featured a guitar solo by Chris Caffery of Savatage and Trans-Siberian Orchestra.
Confessore committed suicide at his New Jersey home on May 21, 2012. He was reportedly in financial trouble as a result of his extensive investment in the tribute album "Whole Lotta Love — an All-Star Tribute to Fat Chicks". He left a suicide note on his facebook page stating:
"Xanadu has been breached, my friends.
Cry “Havoc!” and let slip the vultures and jackals.
No more past. No more future. Both have been taken away….
If only those who knew less didn’t always think they knew better.
It took just one year of Hell to undo a lifetime of hope.
I am too lost to be found and too broken to be fixed.
Let the Monday morning quarterbacking begin.
Anthony John Confessore
PS: Kudos to my sister Valerie Swift, my niece Kristin Margetis and my nephew Gregory Confessore for orchestrating the above. Please pray for my mother Mavis, for she is now in their care."
- "Metal Sludge Invades Rock Never Stops Tour". Metal Sludge. Retrieved 2008-09-19.
- "Websites That Rock: CCBanana.com". Classic Rock Magazine. Retrieved 2008-09-19.
- "C.C. BANANA: Not Your Average Fruit". The Aquarian. Retrieved 2008-09-19.
- "BRIGHT TIGHTS, BIG CITY". New York Press. Retrieved 2008-09-19.
- "Comical Banana Gets Sirius on Satellite Radio". Metal Sludge. Retrieved 2008-09-19.
- "The Adventures of C.C. Banana". Metal Sludge. Retrieved 2008-09-19.
- "Bananakin Skywalker Interviews the Stars of STAR WARS". TheForce.net. Retrieved 2008-09-19.
- "Ace Peeley Report From The ACE FREHLEY Halloween Bash". Kiss Asylum. Retrieved 2008-09-19.
- "DON DOKKEN, MIKE PATTON, ATREYU On This Week's "Talking Metal On Fuse"; Set Photos Available". Brave Words & Bloody Knuckles. Retrieved 2008-09-19.
- "KISS MY ANKH: A Tribute To Vinnie Vincent". SplitScreen Entertainment. Retrieved 2008-09-19.