C.F. Jeff Wu
|C.F. Jeff Wu|
|Institutions||Georgia Institute of Technology|
|Doctoral advisor||Peter J. Bickel|
|Known for||EM convergence proof, resampling methods, industrial statistics, design and analysis of experiments|
|Notable awards||COPSS Presidents Award, Shewhart Medal, R. A. Fisher Lectureship|
Fellow of the ASA, ASQ, IMS, INFORMS and Elected Member, Academia Sinica and NAE
C.F. Jeff Wu is the Coca-Cola Chair in Engineering Statistics and Professor in the H. Milton Stewart School of Industrial and Systems Engineering at the Georgia Institute of Technology. He is known for his work on the convergence of the EM algorithm, resampling methods such as the bootstrap and jackknife, and industrial statistics, including design of experiments, and robust parameter design (Taguchi methods).
Born in Taiwan, Wu earned a B.Sc. in Mathematics from National Taiwan University in 1971, and a Ph.D. in Statistics from University of California, Berkeley in 1976. He has been a faculty member at the University of Wisconsin, Madison (1977-1988), the University of Waterloo (1988-1993; GM-NSERC chair in quality and productivity), the University of Michigan (1995-2003; chair of Department of Statistics 1995-98; H.C. Carver professor of statistics, 1997-2003) and currently the Georgia Institute of Technology. He has supervised 37 Ph.D. students and published around 140 peer-reviewed articles and two books  .
He has received several awards, including the COPSS Presidents' Award in 1987, the COPSS R. A. Fisher Lectureship in 2011 and the Deming Lecturer Award in 2012. He has been elected as a fellow of the American Statistical Association, the Institute of Mathematical Statistics, the American Society for Quality and the Institute for Operations Research and the Management Sciences. In 2000 he was elected as a member of Academia Sinica. In 2004, he was elected as a member of the National Academy of Engineering. He received the Shewhart Medal of the American Society for Quality and an honorary degree from the University of Waterloo in 2008. 
On November 10, 1998, he gave his inaugural lecture entitled “Statistics = Data Science?” in honor of his appointment to the H. C. Carver Collegiate Professorship in Statistics at the University of Michigan. In this lecture, he first focused on the identity of statistics in science. He then characterized statistical work as data collection, data modeling and analysis, and problem solving and decision making. In conclusion, he proposed that statistics be renamed data science and statisticians data scientists. Later, he presented his lecture entitled “Statistics = Data Science?” as the first of his 1998 P.C. Mahalanobis Memorial Lectures.
In Mile, Yunnan, China, a conference will be held in July 2014 celebrating Professor Wu's 65th birthday.
- "Chien-Fu Jeff Wu", Mathematics Genealogy Project, accessed April 9, 2012 http://genealogy.math.ndsu.nodak.edu/id.php?id=34328
- "Experiments: Planning, Analysis, and Optimization, 2nd Edition", by C. F. J. Wu and M. S. Hamada, John Wiley & Sons, ISBN 978-0-471-69946-0, accessed April 9, 2012, http://www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-0471699462.html
- "A Modern Theory of Factorial Design", by Rahul Mukerjee and C. F. J. Wu, Springer-Verlag, ISBN 978-0-387-31991-9, accessed April 9, 2012, http://www.springer.com/statistics/statistical+theory+and+methods/book/978-0-387-31991-9
- "Committee of Presidents of Statistical Societies: Presidents' Award: Past Award Recipients," National Institute of Statistical Sciences, accessed April 5, 2012, http://nisla05.niss.org/copss/PastAwardsPresidents.pdf.
- "Committee of Presidents of Statistical Societies: Fisher Lecture: Past Award Recipients", National Institute of Statistical Sciences, accessed April 5, 2012,http://nisla05.niss.org/copss/PastAwardsFisher.pdf.
- "American Statistical Association Deming Lecturer Award", American Statistical Association, accessed September 25, 2012,http://www.amstat.org/awards/deminglectureraward.cfm.
- "Fellows of the ASA", accessed April 5, 2012 http://www.amstat.org/awards/fellowslist.cfm
- "IMS Fellows", Institute of Mathematical Statistics, accessed April 5, 2012 http://www.imstat.org/awards/honored_fellows.htm
- "INFORMS Fellows: Class of 2009", INFORMS online, accessed April 5, 2012 http://www.informs.org/Connect-with-People/Fellows/INFORMS-Fellows-Class-of-20092
- "Council of Academia Sinica", Academia Sinica, accessed 18 April 2012 http://academicians.sinica.edu.tw/03.php
- "NAE Members: Dr. Chien-Fu Jeff Wu", National Academy of Engineering, accessed, April 8, 2012 http://www.nae.edu/MembersSection/Directory20412/30848.aspx
- "Shewart Medalists", American Society for Quality, accessed April 8, 2012 http://asq.org/about-asq/awards/honors/shewhart.html
- "UW's convocation graduates 4,378 students, awards 10 honorary degrees", news release, University of Waterloo, accessed April 18, 2012 http://newsrelease.uwaterloo.ca/news.php?id=4973
- "Identity of statistics in science examined". The University Records, November 9, 1998, The University of Michigan. Retrieved 12 August 2013.
- "P.C. Mahalanobis Memorial Lectures, 7th series". P.C. Mahalanobis Memorial Lectures, Indian Statistical Institute. Retrieved 18 August 2013.
- "Building Statistical Methodology and Theory 2014", July 7–9, 2014, Mile, Yunnan, China, http://www.stat.purdue.edu/~sunz/Jeff_2014/index.html