C. Brewer Building
C. Brewer Building
|Nearest city||827 Fort St., Honolulu, Hawaii|
|Area||0.5 acres (0.20 ha)|
|Architect||Hardie Phillip, Bertram Goodhue|
|Architectural style||Mediterranean Revival|
|NRHP Reference #||80001272|
|Added to NRHP||April 2, 1980|
The C. Brewer Building at 827 Fort Street in Honolulu, Hawaiʻi was built in 1930 to be the headquarters of C. Brewer & Co., the smallest of Hawaiʻi's Big Five corporations. The intimate, almost residential design was begun by Bertram Goodhue and completed by Hardie Phillip. The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places on 2 April 1980.
Built of reinforced concrete in a Mediterranean Revival style, with cut sandstone and stucco and plaster finish, a walled garden, and second-floor balconies, it also features a tiled, double-pitched "Dickey roof" with wide eaves to protect against sun and rain. The modest decorations symbolized the business of the C. Brewer Company: wrought iron railings represent sugar cane, and light fixtures were designed to resemble of sugar cubes.
After closing down the sugar business and diversifying into other agricultural products and spinning off its real-esate business, the company moved to Hilo, Hawaii on the Big Island of Hawaii in 1998. The building now houses the Honolulu administrative offices of the University of Phoenix.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2010-07-09.
- Robert M. Fox and Dorothy Riconda (September 14, 1972). "C. Brewer Building Nomination form". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. Retrieved 2009-07-22.
- Rick Daysog (August 14, 1996). "C. Brewer plans to move to Hilo - The company will relocate its headquarters in 1998". Honolulu Star-Bulletin.
- Honolulu Chapter, American Institute of Architects, Exploring Downtown: A Walking Tour, April 2009.
- Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS) No. HI-532, "C. Brewer & Company Building, 827 Fort Street, Honolulu, Honolulu County, HI", 3 photos, 1 photo caption page