C. J. Spillman
Spillman with the 49ers in 2013.
|Position:||Safety / Special teamer|
|Date of birth:||May 6, 1986|
|Place of birth:||Louisville, Kentucky|
|Height:||6 ft 0 in (1.83 m)|
|Weight:||199 lb (90 kg)|
|High school:||Louisville (KY) Central|
|Career highlights and awards|
Career NFL statistics as of Week 17, 2014
|Stats at NFL.com|
Claude Norman "C. J." Spillman, Jr (born May 6, 1986) is an American football safety and special teamer who is currently a free agent. He was signed by the San Diego Chargers as an undrafted free agent in 2009. He played college football at Marshall.
Spillman attended Louisville Central High School. He played running back and defensive back while in high school. He was an all-state and all-conference selection in his last two years. He also lettered three years in track.
He became a starter at free safety as a sophomore (9 starts), finishing third on the team with 79 tackles. The next year he started 12 games, leading the team with 131 tackles (3th overall in Conference USA and 12th in the nation), while receiving second-team All-Conference USA honors. As a senior he played with shoulder and hand injuries, while registering 71 tackles (fourth on the team). He finished his college career with the most tackles (319) by a safety in school history.
San Diego Chargers
After going unselected in the 2009 NFL Draft, Spillman was signed by the San Diego Chargers on April 27, 2009. He was waived on October 11, 2010, after struggling with his play on special teams.
San Francisco 49ers
The San Francisco 49ers claimed Spillman on October 12, 2010 after he was waived by the Chargers. He quickly established himself as a standout in the 49ers' special teams units registering 17 tackles after only playing in 11 games. In 2011, he led the team with 19 special teams tackles.
On March 6, 2012, he was signed to a $6 million three-year contract.
After playing mainly in goal-line defensive packages, during the 2012 and 2013 preseasons, he had a chance to earn the free safety starting job, but couldn't hold the position. In 2013, he led the team with 19 special teams tackles.
He was cut on August 30, 2014, because of salary cap reasons.
Spillman signed as a free agent with the Dallas Cowboys on August 31, 2014. On October 2, it was reported that he was under investigation for sexual assault, but no charges were filed. Although he had a slow start, by the end of the season he was a valuable contributor, finishing third on team with 10 special teams tackles and also saw more time on defense than expected, after backup safety Jeff Heath missed 2 games because of a thumb injury. In the playoffs he raised his production, registering three tackles and two forced fumbles in two games.
- "Marshall Thundering Herd Profile". herdzone.cstv.com.
- Spillman signs with Chargers
- "Former Central High Star C.J. Spillman to Play in Super Bowl for 49ers". USATodayHSS.com. January 30, 2013. Retrieved 2014-06-23.
|last1=in Authors list (help)
- Rosenthal, Gregg (October 12, 2010). "Niners edge Browns for C.J. Spillman". NBCSports.com. Retrieved 2014-06-23.
- C.J. Spillman is finally getting what he has been pushing for – a chance to play safety
- "49ers sign C.J. Spillman to 3-year deal". ESPN.com. March 6, 2012. Retrieved 2014-06-23.
- Cardona, Clara (October 2, 2014). "New info in sexual assault inquiry involving Cowboys' C.J. Spillman details when offense occurred". The Dallas Morning News. Retrieved October 2, 2014.
- "49ers connection to Drew Brees and Darren Sproles". http://blog.sfgate.com. 2012-01-11. Retrieved 2012-01-11.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to C. J. Spillman.|