C. Leon King High School
|C. Leon King High School|
|6815 N. 56th Street
Tampa, Florida, 33610
United States of America
|Type||Public high school|
|Motto||Land of the Lions|
|School district||Hillsborough County Public Schools|
|Number of students||1826|
|Color(s)||Red, White, and Columbia Blue
Lady Lions (girls sports)
|School Number (for District use)||2241|
C. Leon King High School is a public high school named in honor of C. Leon King, a distinguished and respected member of the Hillsborough County Board of Public Instruction for 18 years. It opened in 1960 with 58 faculty members and 960 students. It is located at 6815 North 56th Street in Tampa, FL 33610. King High School is a traditional/hybrid magnet school. It has one of the four International Baccalaureate programs in Hillsborough County, Florida. The IB program of King began in July 1994. Ninety percent of IB seniors earned the IB Diploma in 2004 - one of the highest rates in the United States. As of the 2010 - 2011 school year C. Leon King High School received an A grade in education overall.
Its total student population is 1826, attendance rate in 2005 was 92%, and the Class of 2007 included 52 National Merit finalists, 16 National Achievement finalists, and 12 National Hispanic Scholars.
King High School hosts an International Baccalaureate (IB) Program, which was implemented into the school in 1994. King High also offers advanced placement courses (KAPS). The International Baccalaureate program at King High is traditionally regarded as one of the most rigorous of its kind. As such, the program has a reputation for feeding IB students into the nation's top universities.
The Student Government Association has recently developed into an exemplary model of excellence with many advanced structures similar to the federal government system.
King High School has many sports programs. They are:
- Cross Country - Boys
- Cross Country - Girls
- Basketball - Boys
- Basketball - Girls
- Soccer - Boys
- Soccer - Girls
- Flag Football
King High School has multiple musical programs such as Chorus and Show Choir (PRIDE), a Marching Band (Marching Lions), Concert Band, Symphonic Band, Wind Ensemble, and a Concert Orchestra. King High School's Marching Band received Superior ratings at the annual FBA competition for 45 consecutive years and is well known among the local community, and is often invited to perform in many of the State's premier band events. The show choir, PRIDE, has traditionally proven to be among the top show choirs in the nation, known for its close relationship to Fox and the network's hit show Glee.
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2010)|
- Henry Paul - Musician formerly with the Outlaws
- Derek Bell - Former professional baseball player
- Eric "Purple" Hayes - Former professional football (Seattle Seahawks) player
- Tim Crews - Former professional baseball player
- Pam Bondi - Florida Attorney General, graduated in 1984
- Mike Awesome (Alfonso)- Former WWF Champion, graduated in 1984
- Pam Iorio - Former Mayor of Tampa, graduated in 1977
- Gary Koch - Former professional golfer and ESPN sportscaster, graduated in 1970
- Edmund Nelson - Former professional football player, graduated in 1978
- Audrey O'Brien Nelson, Phd. - Director at VISN 8 James A. Haley Veterans Hospital, Prominent research scientist, graduated in 1973
- Calvin Pickering - Former professional baseball player, graduated in 1995