C. Leonard Allen
|C. Leonard Allen|
Leonard Allen at ACU in 2014
|Occupation||Dean of the Bible Department at Lipscomb University|
|Education||University of Iowa
Harding School of Theology
|Literary movement||Restoration Movement|
|Notable work(s)||The Cruciform Church|
Leonard Allen has taught at several schools, including Fuller Theological Seminary, Biola University, and John Brown University. He was a professor of Christian Studies at Abilene Christian University for 15 years.
He has authored and co-authored several books that deal primarily with the history and cultural impact of the Restoration Movement. In February 2000, Leonard Allen founded Leafwood Publishers, a publisher of Christian books on a variety of topics, including theology, culture and dealing with the study of the Bible in Orange, California. In 2005, Abilene Christian University Press purchased Leafwood Publishers and hired Leonard Allen as its director. Leonard directed Abilene Christian University Press and Leafwood Publishers until 2014 when he accepted an offer to be the dean of the Bible Department at Lipscomb University.
Dean of Bible
In April 2014, Lipscomb University announced their decision to bring Leonard in as their new Dean of Bible.
- Illusions of Innocence: Protestant Primitivism in America, 1630-1875, with Richard T. Hughes, Abilene, Texas: Abilene Christian University Press, 1988. ISBN 978-0-89112-524-2.
- Discovering Our Roots: The Ancestry of Churches of Christ, with Richard T. Hughes, Abilene, Texas: Abilene Christian University Press, 1988. ISBN 0.89112-006-8.
- The Cruciform Church: Becoming a Cross-Shaped People in a Secular World, Abilene, Texas: Abilene Christian University Press, 1990. ISBN 0-89112-510-8.
- The Worldly Church: A Call for Biblical Renewal, with Richard T. Hughes and Michael R. Weed, Abilene, Texas: Abilene Christian University Press, 1991. ISBN ISBN 0-89112-150-1.
- Distant Voices: Discovering a Forgotten Past for a Changing Church, Abilene, Texas: Abilene Christian University Press, 1999. ISBN 0-89112-154-4.
- Participating in God's Life: Two Crossroads for Churches of Christ, with Danny Gray Swick, Orange, California: New Leaf Books, 2001. ISBN 0-9700836-4-5.
- Things Unseen: Churches of Christ in (and After) the Modern Age, Siloam Springs, Arkansas: Leafwood Publishers, 2004. ISBN0-9748441-5-2.
- Contemporaries Meet the Classics on Prayer, West Monroe, Louisiana:Howard Books, 2003. ISBN 978-1-58229-287-8.
Leonard is married to Holly Allen. They live together in Siloam Springs, Arkansas.
- "Leonard Allen - bio". Lipscomb.edu. Lipscomb University. Retrieved 28 May 2013.
- Martin, Lerone!A. (December!31,!2011). "Case study report on Abilene Christian University". 21st Century Faith Forum. Retrieved 28 May 2013.
- Ross Jr., Bobby (8 Apr 2014). "Leonard Allen named dean of Lipscomb University's College of Bible and Ministry". The Christian Chronicle. Retrieved 6 May 2014.