|Discovered by||Edward L. G. Bowell|
|Discovery date||February 11, 1980|
|Orbital characteristics A|
|Epoch||February 17, 1982
|Eccentricity||1.057 (Hyperbolic trajectory)
1.053 (epoch 1984+)
|Orbital period||~7.1 million years (epoch 1950)
Ejection (epoch 1977+)
|Last perihelion||March 12, 1982|
C/1980 E1 is a non-periodic comet discovered by Edward L. G. Bowell on February 11, 1980. C/1980 E1 is leaving the Solar System on a hyperbolic trajectory with a higher velocity than any other natural object ever observed.
Before entering the inner Solar System for a 1982 perihelion passage, C/1980 E1 had a barycentric (epoch 1950-Jan-01) orbit with an apoapsis distance of 74,600 AU (1.17 light-years), and a period of approximately 7.1 million years.
As the comet was approaching perihelion on December 9, 1980, it passed within 0.228 AU of Jupiter, which accelerated the comet briefly giving an (epoch 1981-Jan-09) eccentricity of 1.066. The comet came to perihelion on March 12, 1982. Since the epoch of 1977-Mar-02, C/1980 E1 has had a barycentric eccentricity greater than 1, keeping it on a hyperbolic trajectory that will eject it from the Solar System.
The production of OH was observed pre-perihelion while the comet was nearly 5AU from the Sun. CN was not detected until the comet was near perihelion. The comet nucleus was estimated to be have a radius of several kilometers. The surface crust was probably a few meters thick.
References and footnotes
- "JPL Small-Body Database Browser: C/1980 E1 (Bowell)". 1986-12-02 last obs. Retrieved 2010-01-08.
- Horizons output. "Barycentric Osculating Orbital Elements for Comet C/1980 E1". Retrieved 2011-03-09. (Solution using the Solar System Barycenter and barycentric coordinates. Select Ephemeris Type:Elements and Center:@0)
- "JPL Close-Approach Data: C/1980 E1 (Bowell)". 1986-12-02 last obs. Retrieved 2010-03-23.
- Yeomans, Donald K.; Chamberlin, Alan B. "Horizons Ephemeris". JPL Solar System Dynamics. Retrieved 2011-02-22.
- Ahearn, Michael F.; Schleicher, D. G.; Millis, R. L.; Feldman, P. D.; Thompson, D. T. (1984). "Comet Bowell 1980b". Astronomical Journal 89: 579–591. Bibcode:1984AJ.....89..579A. doi:10.1086/113552.
|This comet-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|