|Traded as||NYSE: CBSO|
|Founded||1947 (as 3M National)
1979 (as Gannett Outdoor)
1996 (as Outdoor Systems)
1999 (as Infinity Outdoor)
2001 (as Viacom Outdoor)
2006 (as CBS Outdoor)
|Headquarters||New York, NY, U.S.|
|Key people||Jeremy J. Male (CEO)
Donald R. Shassian (CFO)
Bill Murphy (EVP of operations)
|Revenue||US$ 623 Million (2013)|
CBS Outdoor (formerly Viacom Outdoor, Infinity Outdoor, Outdoor Systems, Gannett Outdoor and 3M National, among others) is the third largest outdoor media owner in revenue terms. It operates in markets including the United States, Canada, Mexico, Puerto Rico, Argentina, Brazil, Chile, and Uruguay. The Americas division is led by CEO Jeremy Male. The international division is led by CEO Antonio Alonso.
The company was originally part of two separate companies: 3M National, the outdoor advertising subsidiary of the 3M Company; and Gannett Outdoor, owned by the Gannett Company. In 1996, Gannett exited the billboard business by spinning out Gannett Outdoor into a new company, Outdoor Systems. This new company would later acquire 3M National in May 1997, but before that sale was finalized, the United States Justice Department ruled that Outdoor Systems had to sell nearly all of its 3M billboards in ten US cities where both Outdoor Systems and 3M National already had billboards to Lamar Advertising to avoid a monopoly in these cities. In 1999, it was bought by Infinity and became Infinity Outdoor. Infinity was absorbed into Viacom in 2001, and became Viacom Outdoor. When Viacom split from CBS Corporation, it became CBS Outdoor. CBS owned CBS Outdoor as a division of CBS until March 2014, at which point it was spun off into an independent company. CBS Corporation continues to own 83% of CBS Outdoor, although this number is expected to decline over time as CBS Outdoor converts into a real estate investment trust and CBS Corporation divests itself of the outdoor unit.
In July 2014, it was announced that CBS Outdoor would acquire the billboard business of Van Wagner Communications for $690 million.
CBS Outdoor holds advertising contracts including:
- New York City Transit (NYCT) bus and subway, Metro-North Railroad, Long Island Rail Road (these were previously under Titan Outdoor from 2007-2010)
- Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (WMATA)
- Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority (LACMTA)
- Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority (MARTA)
- Regional Public Transportation Authority of greater Phoenix, Arizona, transit shelters and light rail (Valley Metro)
CBS Outdoor Canada (CBS Affichage in Quebec) is a leading Outdoor Representative in Canada. Major products/contracts include:
- Mississauga Transit advertising on buses
- Transit shelter contracts in the municipalities of: Halifax, Cape Breton, Saint John, Quebec City, Saguenay, Trois-Rivières, Sherbrooke, Montreal, Oakville, Mississauga, Vaughan, Richmond Hill, Markham, Pickering, Newmarket, Hamilton, London, Windsor, Leamington, Sarnia, Barrie, Winnipeg, Calgary, Edmonton, and Vancouver
- In addition CBS Outdoor Canada represents products including billboards, murals and large format products like Superboards in the top markets across the country.
CBS Outdoor products are audited and measured by COMB (the Canadian Out-of-Home Measurement Bureau).
Rival outdoor advertisers include:
- Liana Baker (21 July 2014). "CBS Outdoor buys Van Wagner billboard unit for $690 million". Reuters.