CBS Outdoor logo from 2006-2014 before the company changed its name to Outfront Media, Inc. on November 20, 2014
|Traded as||NYSE: OUT|
|Founded||1947 (as 3M National)
1979 (as Gannett Outdoor)
1996 (as Outdoor Systems)
1999 (as Infinity Outdoor)
2001 (as Viacom Outdoor)
2006 (as CBS Outdoor)
2014 (as Outfront Media)
|Defunct||1996 (as Gannett Outdoor)
May 1997 (as 3M National)
1999 (as Outdoor Systems)
2001 (as Infinity Outdoor)
2006 (as Viacom Outdoor)
2014 (as CBS Outdoor)
|Headquarters||New York, NY, U.S.|
|Key people||Jeremy J. Male (CEO)
Donald R. Shassian (CFO)
Bill Murphy (EVP of operations)
|Revenue||US$ 623 Million (2013)|
Outfront Media, Inc. (formerly CBS Outdoor, Viacom Outdoor, Infinity Outdoor, Outdoor Systems, Gannett Outdoor and 3M National, among others) is the third largest outdoor media owner in revenue terms. It operates in markets including the United States, Canada, Mexico, Puerto Rico, Argentina, Brazil, Chile, and Uruguay. The Americas division is led by CEO Jeremy Male. The international division is led by CEO Antonio Alonso.
The company was originally part of two separate companies: 3M National, the outdoor advertising subsidiary of the 3M Company; and Gannett Outdoor, owned by the Gannett Company. In 1996, Gannett exited the billboard business by spinning out Gannett Outdoor into a new company, Outdoor Systems. This new company would later acquire 3M National in May 1997, but before that sale was finalized, the United States Justice Department ruled that Outdoor Systems had to sell nearly all of its 3M billboards in ten US cities where both Outdoor Systems and 3M National already had billboards to Lamar Advertising to avoid a monopoly in these cities. In 1999, it was bought by Infinity and became Infinity Outdoor. Infinity was absorbed into Viacom in 2001, and became Viacom Outdoor. When Viacom split from CBS Corporation, it became CBS Outdoor. CBS owned CBS Outdoor as a division of CBS until March 2014, at which point it was spun off into an independent company. CBS Corporation continues to own 83% of Outfront Media, although this number is expected to decline over time as Outfront Media converts into a real estate investment trust and CBS Corporation divests itself of the outdoor unit.
In July 2014, it was announced that Outfront Media would acquire the billboard business of Van Wagner Communications for $690 million.
On November 20, 2014, CBS Outdoor officially changed its name to Outfront Media, Inc. The company's ticker symbol on the NYSE changed from CBSO to OUT.
Outfront Media holds advertising contracts including:
- New York City Transit (NYCT) bus and subway, Metro-North Railroad, Long Island Rail Road (these were previously under Titan Outdoor from 2007-2010), New York City
- Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (WMATA), Washington, DC
- Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority (LACMTA), Los Angeles
- Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority (MARTA), Atlanta
- Regional Public Transportation Authority of greater Phoenix, Arizona, transit shelters and light rail (Valley Metro)
- Detroit Department of Transportation, Suburban Mobility Authority for Regional Transportation and Ann Arbor Area Transportation Authority in Metro Detroit
Outfront Media Canada (Outfront Affichage in Quebec) is a leading Outdoor Representative in Canada. Major products/contracts include:
- Mississauga Transit advertising on buses
- Transit shelter contracts in the municipalities of: Halifax, Cape Breton, Saint John, Quebec City, Saguenay, Trois-Rivières, Sherbrooke, Montreal, Oakville, Mississauga, Vaughan, Richmond Hill, Markham, Pickering, Newmarket, Hamilton, London, Windsor, Leamington, Sarnia, Barrie, Winnipeg, Calgary, Edmonton, and Vancouver
- In addition Outfront Media Canada represents products including billboards, murals and large format products like Superboards in the top markets across the country.
Outfront Media products are audited and measured by COMB (the Canadian Out-of-Home Measurement Bureau).
Rival outdoor advertisers include:
- 3M National (National 3M)
- Gannett Outdoor
- Outdoor Systems
- Infinity Outdoor
- Viacom Outdoor
- CBS Outdoor
- Liana Baker (21 July 2014). "CBS Outdoor buys Van Wagner billboard unit for $690 million". Reuters.